Half cases-- time to decide and appreciate feedback

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW....the Artisan and Artist case for the Q fits very nicely on the Q2...no doors...but, $167 at B&H.  Very nicely done!!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

For those that have the arte di mano 1/2 case, do you use a Thumbs up or is it unnecessary?

Definitely yes. I don’t know if it’s necessary, but combined with the Aventino grip I have a very solid grasp of the camera.  I love it. 

On 8/19/2019 at 8:20 PM, Pixeleater said:

For those that have the arte di mano 1/2 case, do you use a Thumbs up or is it unnecessary?

I think you could get by without the Thumbs up with the arte di Mano 1/2 case, HOWEVER, with the Thumps Up, you have a superior grip on your camera.   Love the case and Thumbs Up on the Q.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is high up on the right side as ichdien describes.  My thumb seems to always come down on the high edge of the wheel and I really don't notice any interference.  But, others might have a different experience.  Here's a better view of what we are discussing...perhaps this image will help. 

It certainly works well with the Thumbs Up...perfect, in fact.

Edited by reynoldsyoung

I was planning to use my Q2 with only the Leica grip but I've decided there are times when I would like the protection a half case can bring.  I was initially skeptical about the LIMS case - worried it might be of middling quality and/or unattractive.  I've owned A&A, Luigi and Angello Pelle half cases and straps for my M's over the years, so I do have a decent frame of reference.  I've had the LIMS for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it.  The quality appears excellent, the leather is nicer than I expected (nicer than the online images would suggest) and the Arca-compatible base plate works very well (with my Acratech and RRS heads) and it is more robust than I thought it would be.  The holes for the SD card and the battery are nicely milled and provide easy access. For me, I believe this was an instance of thinking the LIMS was too inexpensive to match my refined taste and nose for quality, LOL.  Unless the LIMS starts falling apart in the coming months, I think it s going to qualify as one of the better choices I've made - and a case of more expensive isn't always "better".  Importantly, the LIMS is relatively svelte unlike some of the much more expensive Italian half cases that, while very nice in and of themselves, just seem too thick to me. I much prefer almost not knowing the case is there.  I've got a Leica "holster" on order for my Q2 - if the LIMS+Q2 fit in the holster (I've been told it will) I will remain content with my choice (if not the holster).

Edited by pharyngula
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mbphotox said:

@pharyngula

Do you have an original Q to test the LIMs case from the Q2 on?

No I don’t. My understanding from what I’ve read is that it would not work.

I should also be sure to qualify my support for the LIMS. At this point my enthusiasm is pretty much based on “straight out of the box” impressions. How it holds up over time is what’s important- for example, fits like a second skin at this point but will it stay that way?  

Edited by pharyngula

31 minutes ago, pharyngula said:

I was planning to use my Q2 with only the Leica grip but I've decided there are times when I would like the protection a half case can bring.  I was initially skeptical about the LIMS case - worried it might be of middling quality and/or unattractive.  I've owned A&A, Luigi and Angello Pelle half cases and straps for my M's over the years, so I do have a decent frame of reference.  I've had the LIMS for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it.  The quality appears excellent, the leather is nicer than I expected (nicer than the online images would suggest) and the Arca-compatible base plate works very well (with my Acratech and RRS heads) and it is more robust than I thought it would be.  The holes for the SD card and the battery are nicely milled and provide easy access. For me, I believe this was an instance of thinking the LIMS was too inexpensive to match my refined taste and nose for quality, LOL.  Unless the LIMS starts falling apart in the coming months, I think it s going to qualify as one of the better choices I've made - and a case of more expensive isn't always "better".  Importantly, the LIMS is relatively svelte unlike some of the much more expensive Italian half cases that, while very nice in and of themselves, just seem too thick to me. I much prefer almost not knowing the case is there.  I've got a Leica "holster" on order for my Q2 - if the LIMS+Q2 fit in the holster (I've been told it will) I will remain content with my choice (if not the holster).

Careful with the Leica Holster. I remember early on with the Q some cameras falling out if the strap is not properly snapped. Otherwise, it’s a nice way to carry. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LexS said:

I have the Leica "protector" half case, I am pretty satisfied.

Hi all, I recently bought the Q2 (Leica Store Bellevue) and after a week of no-case use, bought the Leica Protector  half case – I love it! I also have a M6 and have tried a few different cases from manufacturers mentioned in this thread, all worth the cost and no regrets. What I really like about the Q2 case from Leica, however, is the simple, clean fit, especially around the strap lugs – no snap. I haven’t tired of removing it for card/battery swaps .. yet. It was expensive, but after the Q2, an extra battery, a big fast card, why not??