Kodachrome Project

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same train different colour  ??

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

train jaune "Canari" when it was "open deck" some decades ago

Great memories! I have this train only on Kodak Elitechrome alas 😊. Didn’t know that it’s not open deck anymore these days

Otto,

Sorry, my memories are foolish sometimes.

I think the open deck is only for summer, even now,

and not open in cold winter.

© ter.sncf

©ter.sncf

These two images are from this site "ter.sncf.com"

Anthony,

same "yellow" or "red", but different hues with lighting 😉

As I wrote post #79 :

"

Colors of same subject can vary when lighting changed

with same roll of Kodachrome which tells a lot how

difficult to imitate it's look

"

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, a.noctilux said:

Blue cast is common in Kodachrome or other slides, when not projected.

As those slides were created for screen projection with common "halogen tungsten bulb" at about 3 000 K , so when not projected

those slides look "with some blue cast" with daylight or light table.

This I did not know.  That makes me feel better and always wondered why the differences in color temperatures.  So in other words, the color temp of the projection bulb corrects for the color cast of the slide. 

Is that also true with other transparency film?  Fuji for example?     

Edited by thebarnman

You have to realise that the colour of any object seen by the human eye is dependent on the light source. If you shine a red light on a blue object, the object looks black as there is no blue wave lengths in the light source for the object to reflect. If you hold a slide up to a blue sky then it is going to look colder than it will due to the excessive amount of blue wavelengths in the light source. Take some coloured objects out at night and view them under sodium vapour lights that line road ways and see how they look different. The lamps are pure yellow light.

Thank you for that.  I am aware that the things we see (actually the color of an object) is effected by the light-source that is used.  However I did not know that the color temperature of a projection bulb was figured in (as part of the overall photographic specification when considering final use) as to what the human eye would see as a color corrected image projected onto a screen from a bluish cast transparency.      

Color perception is individual.

Even with my wife, sometimes we don't agree on color's name.

With experience, I understand that she does't "see" same color as me, so we give the same "color" two names for the "same color".

With our Kodachrome (or other slides), it's worse when she said the color of the flower is not the "real natural color", while I perceive as "real color" on projected screen.

So, I don't worry anymore about "real color" or not in our world of computer screens with variable gamut response, those screens can be not "optimized/adapted" (I can say that for my multiple screens computer or projected ).

I saw also with same slides "color cast in warmer tones" when the lamp is older or when I use the "economic lamp position" on my Pradovit.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

those screens can be not "optimized/adapted" (I can say that for my multiple screens computer or projected ).

Then I would conclude that your screens are not calibrated and you do not use colour management 😟. It is the purpose of colour management to achieve the same colour on any device. Of course, this will be not 100% perfect, but your statement suggests, that such an achievement is not at all possible. Caveats are that e.g. laptop screens may not even have the sRGB gamut so you cannot compare the appearance of an image on a laptop screen with that on a wide gamut monitor. One should not compare apples and oranges.

Hermann-Josef

Edited by Jossie
  • Like 1

Thanks Jossie for your input.

That what I wrote about "color perceptions" on different devices can be very (usually mostly) variable.

I realized that some years ago, when wanting to digitize my Kodachrome which I know well the coloring that pleased me.

First with the scanner Nikon Coolscan V ED, I managed to have the closest "kodachrome color" on the labtop (not top or calibrated, I fear) screen.

But when I visualized on my wife's iMac, the color "mood" is not there anymore.

When I saw the "best result scans" of my best Kodachrome on other computers screens, I understand that my project was "only for me" then.

Well, that I wanted to tell the OP that this nice idea to build some scripts to "remind Kodachrome rendering" is nice idea,

but not really possible to be automagically done.

Since post #5 :

here

It may be well harder than he thought, so I try to help him at my best.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I looked through all 1615 photos.  A few of those were shot on Ektachrome and I just calibrated my monitor (as I do monthly.)  I'm not suggesting I was able to tell a few of those shots were shot on Ektachrome because my monitor is calibrated, it's just the colors simply don't hold up like they would have if it was shot on Kodachrome.     

I'm using the NEC MuliSync PA271W.    

• 9 months later...

Scanning is not easy affairs,

these two pictures of old Kodachrome I'd like to share,

I had scanned with many means, but never have what IS on the slides (colors, details, contrast, etc.)

M5, Summilux 50, Kodachrome 25

- "scan" with M240, Beoon, Focotar 50

• Like 2

I don't have used Kodachrome so often, since I mostly made color-negatives, but now I get the few examples together here, which I posted already on several places in the forum. I had to admit, that it behaves a bit unusual in my scanner (Imacon). Hard to describe. The shadows tend to get rather thin, so that it looks kind of flat (K64 is a bit better in this). To my impression the slide themselves showed a better contrast. But this could also be due to the fact, that it's looks different (and better) projected anyway. I refused to post-process the images to much to compensate this, because then there unique softness also is gone.

Kodachrome 25

Kodachrome 25

Kodachrome 25

Kodachrome 64

Kodachrome 64

Kodachrome 64

Edited by fotomas
  • Like 3

Found another

Kodachrome 64

• Like 1

•  Pragser Wildsee or Lake Prags  • 
38812746_060800_140106_4069_KL200_dng_PragserWildsee_OaseBergtour_2006_M6_KL200_LR5_jpg_301KB_frame.jpg.2162fbc56814b85c90cdfd24212a37be.jpg
  •  Leica M 6  •  'cron 35  •  Kodachrome KL 200  • Prags Dolomites • South Tyrol •  Italy •  Aug. 2006. • 

Edited by mnutzer

• 3 weeks later...

My attempt recreating Kodachrome: 

• Like 1