R8 Rear Cover Display Problem

SHenry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am having a "Rear Cover Display problem" with an R8 camera (sn# 2430200 made in Germany), that I am trying out.

The rear cover display is faulty and "mostly" there is "no display" at all, with the camera on, even after a short shutter press ( brand new battery installed)? If I repeatedly press the shutter button 1/2 depressed, sometimes a few characters are displayed, sometimes random characters, sometimes a few that somewhat make sense, but very very flaky and strange behavior.

Is there a possible quick/easy fix or should I just return the camera for a refund, please?

note: I did check and "clean the ten gold contacts" on both the "rear cover" and the "matching/mating contacts on the body", but it did not correct the problem. 

Thanks!

Edited by SHenry
  • Like 1

Never mind, I cleaned and re-cleaned with contact cleaner, over and over again, pushed down the "spring loaded" contacts repeatedly and finally the "rear cover display" started working correctly!!! 

I think it may have been the spring loaded contacts that needed much more aggressive cleaning and repeated pressing up and down against their spring loading, to clear out any oxidation underneath, and deeper inside the cover. 

For the pittance an R8 goes for these days, get a backup just in case. I recall reading that the later models made in Portugal addressed the mechanical & electronic issues of the earlier ones and may be more reliable. Aside from the weight, the R9’s top frame counter is one of its greatest advantages if that rear LCD give up the ghost. Sadly, Leica sold all the spare parts to Photo Arsenal and they seem to be sitting on them for reasons known but to God. 

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions! I have an R7 body, as well, yet I really like having the higher over 2000s to 8000s shutter speed range capability of the R8 /R9 especially when using with F2, F2.8 apertures in very bright day light conditions and to help control motion blur.

So, I may just buy another R8 or pay up for an R9 body. 

Darn Leica R film cameras are becoming an obsession of mine!🙂

• Like 1

Ah yes the slippery slope!  Many years ago Leica were offering either M6/50/2 or R8 /50/2 for the same  price. I went for the R8 and never looked back. I've added R 4, RE and R7. Lately I've been into all the Leicaflex : standard, SL and SL2. Mechanical brilliance! But the feel and capability of the R8 is supreme.

All Portuguese cameras reign !

Hi mann61,

Thank you for sharing your Leica camera compliment! 

Actually, I now have collected a Leica R4S (Portuguese), R7 (Germany) and now a R8 (Germany) camera body. Plus an 50/2 (Canada) and a 90/2 (Canada) R lens. Quite an international group.

I have some Portuguese (Azores) and some German ancestry and My X is from Canada, as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, SHenry said:

Hi mann61,

Thank you for sharing your Leica camera compliment! 

Actually, I now have collected a Leica R4S (Portuguese), R7 (Germany) and now a R8 (Germany) camera body. Plus an 50/2 (Canada) and a 90/2 (Canada) R lens. Quite an international group.

I have some Portuguese (Azores) and some German ancestry and My X is from Canada, as well.

I think some early R3s were made in Germany but all the rest were made in Portugal.They were sent back to Germany for the final inspection so Leica could put Made in Germany on them. The leicaflex was totally made in Germany and thus far too expensive to produce.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:10 AM, SHenry said:

So, I may just buy another R8 or pay up for an R9 body. 

Darn Leica R film cameras are becoming an obsession of mine!🙂

They really have that effect.

I bought a used R9  last year that failed within days of its purchase (the mode dial was jammed and its release button no longer worked). I was thoroughly impressed by the solidity, design and haptics. So, when a late R8 appeared in perfect condition, with a motor drive, all for US$575, I couldn't resist. Late Portuguese model. Didn't even look like it was ever used. Heavier than the R9 but, it was in perfect shape.

Then of course, months later, I see an R9 for sale, its serial # indicated it was among the last thousand made and it was pristine. How does one say no? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Regarding Rear Display problem on R8 & R9

I discovered that on both of my R8 & R9 bodies, after inserting a new film cart, the side cover door "unlocking button" may not have completely or fully 100% re-seated. 

1) So, originally I had though it was "only" the "rear door gold mating colored pins" that needed cleaning with contact cleaner. This did help to temporarily get the display to come on again, but after inserting a new roll of film, the problem returned. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I discovered that on both of my R8 & R9 bodies, after inserting a new film cart, the side cover door "unlocking button" may not have completely or fully re-seat. 

This causes the rear display to not come on. 

2) The remedy, was while holding  the door tightly closed, (so the film did not get exposed), I firmly "pressed in" and "pressed down" (again) the rear door looking button (even though it was already in the locked position) .

Then the rear display starting working.

I could easily, reproduce the problem, after closing the door with new film and watching the rear display ( holding the door closed, as to not expose the film), I very slightly pressed (wiggled) on the "locking button" and I could cause the display to go "on & off".

Apparently there may be a "micro switch" that detects if the door lock button is fully engaged (fully down) or not. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I bought a German R8 a few weeks ago from Ffordes of Inverness. I’ve already got a Portugal one and wanted two. I found that the rear display did not work on the German one but got busy with the corner of a handkerchief. Result? Perfect. 
I could have used the camera without the rear display as the DX sets the iso and everything else is in the finder display, even the frame counter - amazing! I don’t use self timers. I don’t do ‘selfies’. Not with a face like mine. Whatever did girls see in me! The tip about closing the back is good to remember. I’m really enjoying my pair of R8s. I wonder what they cost 1996-2002? I’ve still got three Leicaflex SL bodies to use with my lenses if my R8 bodies go kaput - hopefully not. I’ve bought 4 sets of batteries. I like the P setting with matrix metering. Of course I used to have matrix metering with my SL bodies. As my meters didn’t work and the mercury oxide battery unobtainable, I used a Gossen Multisix for reflective and Sekonic L-428 incident meter and average out between the readings. I called it matrix anyway. Now I find the R8 and 28mm f2.8 R on P with matrix metering to be a very grand point-and-shoot indeed. I’m just waiting for a digital Johnny to ask me how many megapixels my sensor has. My boyfriend thought the R8 was digital and pointed out the rear display? 

• Like 2