Single Shutter Mode vs Continuous

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got a M240, I was wondering if there was a reason to go with single shutter mode vs continuous mode. I noticed that the image buffer writes to memory every time I expose, and takes a bit before I can start shooting a bit. Continuous waits a bit more before writing to the memory, but once it does, still there's a moment when you can't shoot.

Is there any reason not to keep it on continuous? Is there a limit on the shutter speed or anything like that in continuous vs single?

4 hours ago, Davidthefat said:

Is there any reason not to keep it on continuous?

I always shoot in single mode, because I prefer to focus again for every shot I make. That way, chances are bigger that some of the pictures are correctly focused, instead of risking that all pictures get equally out of focus. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose you better use the continuous mode when you shoot people or anything else moving and you want to be sure to catch a good expression or moment. Otherwise single is the right mode. I'm sure anything on the M has the right purpose.

Edited by epand56

I asked as certain camera systems downgrade the color bit depth of the images in continuous mode vs single shot mode. 

Like the Sony A7 and A7 II downgraded the bit depth from 14 bits to 12 bits in continuous (not sure on the current A7 IIIs)

I doesn't seem like Leica does that. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Continuous can be useful in limited circumstances, such as when you wait for someone or something to move into the focus plane and try to catch that moment. But I find that using S is the best way for me. I used to say that if you wanted a motor drive on a film camera, why not just get a motion picture camera.

4 hours ago, Jean-Michel said:

Continuous can be useful in limited circumstances, such as when you wait for someone or something to move into the focus plane and try to catch that moment. But I find that using S is the best way for me. I used to say that if you wanted a motor drive on a film camera, why not just get a motion picture camera.

Depends on one's way of shooting. I'm used to take a succession of two of three frames when i shoot people for instance, which has little to do with video or cinema cameras.

1 hour ago, lct said:

Depends on one's way of shooting. I'm used to take a succession of two of three frames when i shoot people for instance, which has little to do with video or cinema cameras.

Totally agree with you, everybody develops their own best practice. Since I started my career with a 4 by 5 Speed Graphic, I could not rely on any continuous shutter release! I did get pretty good at flipping holders, and did find Graphmatic holders to be quite quick to use. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ru2far2c said:

I prefer single frame when working with M's. Single frame advances fast enough for my purposes. 

Five frames per-second is very slow to one who is familiar with real-life behavior. If you are just beginning photography, okay use burst mode, but concentrate on the initial moment, the first exposure.  The next four frames might inform you regarding personal latency - how you might adjust your anticipatory singular exposure.

• Like 1

A photographer shooting bursts all the time is one of the most annoying sounds in existence. :D

If you shoot a 10 fps burst @ 1/100th, your shutter will be closed 90% of the time, giving you a 90% chance of missing the moment. You are better off with a single shot at the right instant.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting in Continuous or 'burst' mode is more to do with hope than accuracy. There's nothing wrong with hoping you'll get one good snap out of a burst, but 'spray and pray' often leaves you with the certain knowledge that the good picture was the one that was missed between shots. Use single exposure and learn to anticipate what's going to happen in front of you.

• Like 3

As a photographer, I've never used continuous mode except by accident, when it startled the life out of me.

As a third party, I'm with Jaap - it's the most irritating sound one hears from another photographer.

When photographing people I try to minimise my virtual 'footprint': plan the shot, get the camera ready, get into position, quickly compose/focus/expose, press the shutter and away. It's not for stealth reasons, but to be less intrusive/irritating and get more natural behaviour from my subjects. It makes them more accepting of me as a photographer when I don't irritate them.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 5:04 AM, evikne said:

I always shoot in single mode, because I prefer to focus again for every shot I make. That way, chances are bigger that some of the pictures are correctly focused, instead of risking that all pictures get equally out of focus. 

I agree. Shooting manual focus in continuous mode is to me, just asking for trouble.