Leica M2 and Metz 45 CL-4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica M2 and recently purchased a Metz 45 CL-4 flash. I used an adapter (Kaiser) for the flash socket of the M2 to convert it to a PC socket. All connection seems good. Initially, the Metz 45 is working as it should. When I advanced the film and press the shutter button, the flash fires.

However, when I change the flash head angle (bounced flash), advance the film, and press the shutter button, the flash will not trigger. When I press the shutter button WITHOUT advancing the film, the flash will fires. When I advanced the film and press the shutter button, the flash will not fire. 

I tried checking the connections and everything looks good. My Leica M2 was recently CLA'd by Kanto Camera in Japan and everything in the camera seems to be working as it should. 

I get inconsistent results when using the flash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. I wasted two rolls of films already.

Has anyone experience this? Any ideas what is the cause of the flash not firing?

Thank you for your help!

In order to fix the problem, you will need to isolate it. The fault could be anywhere between your M2 and the flash. Do you have other bodies and flashes to check? Figuring out whether it's the camera or the flash would be a good starting point.

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the Forum.

And don't forget to check the adapters converting the (Better) Leitz flash sockets to make them compatible with standard PC (Prontor - Compur) connectors.

These little plug in converters (Regardless of brand.) have been known to fail on occasion. Even when brand new.

Best Regards,

Michael

5 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

In order to fix the problem, you will need to isolate it. The fault could be anywhere between your M2 and the flash. Do you have other bodies and flashes to check? Figuring out whether it's the camera or the flash would be a good starting point.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I do not have another body to test the flash. I will try to borrow other flashes to try with my Leica M2.

3 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the Forum.

And don't forget to check the adapters converting the (Better) Leitz flash sockets to make them compatible with standard PC (Prontor - Compur) connectors.

These little plug in converters (Regardless of brand.) have been known to fail on occasion. Even when brand new.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello, Michael.

Thanks for the reply. I will try other flashes that uses PC sync cables to isolate the problem.

Ian

If the camera was just CLAed and everything else is working right, the problem is probably not be the camera.

I would suspect a bad connector (cable) between the camera & flash, or the adapter. 

It could also be using too high a shutter speed for the flash to properly sync.