Steve Huff on M glass with Nikon Z7

bags27

21 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Indeed, but a little Googling revealed a few reports of issues with some adapters that leak light, lead to focusing beyond infinity, don't lock securely in place etc.  

I'm erring towards the Novoflex despite the absurd price.

If you are using the Z7 EVF for manual focusing how does focusing 'beyond infinity' become an issue? There aren't any super telephoto lenses in the M range and even if there were you can magnify the image in the Z7 viewfinder to be sure of focus.

17 hours ago, 250swb said:

If you are using the Z7 EVF for manual focusing how does focusing 'beyond infinity' become an issue? There aren't any super telephoto lenses in the M range and even if there were you can magnify the image in the Z7 viewfinder to be sure of focus.

It isn’t an issue in use with Leica M lenses, but I’d rather spend my money on an adapter that has been carefully designed and manufactured in expectation that it will work as it should without any of the other reported issues  

• 9 months later...

Questions:

a) Any discernible difference between z6 and z7 on picture quality with M lenses. I understand the Z7 replaces the AA filter in Z6 with clear glass.

b) Which adapter is best?

c) Is the zoom and focus peaking much harder to use than a rangefinder for critical focus?

Edited by rramesh

On 7/29/2020 at 1:07 AM, rramesh said:

c) Is the zoom and focus peaking much harder to use than a rangefinder for critical focus?

I'd say that it's a personal preference.

I find it easier to focus with a EVF with anything longer than 50mm, wide open or in low light. Also focus shift is not an issue anymore. Bonus: you'll see the actual exposure directly in the EVF.

That said, I find it faster to focus moving subjects with a rangefinder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, J.Nordvik said:

Not my R-M adapter.

I have a Novoflex adapter.... The third one I tried and that works perfectly at infinity now. However the first two M to Z adapters had a plastid middle, this one has metal and its supposedly the same adapter... but it certainly ain't!

On 7/29/2020 at 1:07 AM, rramesh said:

Questions:

a) Any discernible difference between z6 and z7 on picture quality with M lenses. I understand the Z7 replaces the AA filter in Z6 with clear glass.

b) Which adapter is best?

I used a Novoflex one now. But do be careful as this (said above) is my third Novoflex adapter. The other two had plastic internals and this has all metal. Very weird.

Just use the magnification function. I didnt like peaking. Works better on very sharp modern lenses but it isnt perfect. The focus Mag is far better for critical focus than a Rangefinder... But it is slower and arguably not as 'nice'. Very functional though.

Edited by JTLeica

• 4 weeks later...
Am 5.8.2020 um 12:45 schrieb JTLeica:

I used a Novoflex one now. But do be careful as this (said above) is my third Novoflex adapter. The other two had plastic internals and this has all metal. Very weird.

Just use the magnification function. I didnt like peaking. Works better on very sharp modern lenses but it isnt perfect. The focus Mag is far better for critical focus than a Rangefinder... But it is slower and arguably not as 'nice'. Very functional though.

Only the novoflex adapter seems to do the job.

I've written to Nikon because of the behavior of the viewfinder magnification when focusing (peaking is not always usuable as you mentioned): the Z7 Nikon does not switch back to full screen view at first pressure point of the release button, like e.g. the Leica Sl does. This would make focusing with manual lenses, like M-lenses, far easier. I've written to Nikon customer service and they agree with me, but they may only change the behavior of the first pressure point when more customer ask for. If you find it helpful, please ask your Nikon customer service.