bags27

Steve Huff on M glass with Nikon Z7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/1/2019 at 12:33 AM, Jeff S said:

I played with the Z7 at a local dealer today and, as someone who has not liked any EVF to date (including on the SL), I must say that the Z7 EVF seemed the most natural of any I've tried, at least as best I remember.  The light wasn't bright and contrasty outside, so the conditions were not as harsh as when I tested the SL (bright, contrasty light seems a challenge for most EVFs, including the SL).  Indoors, in lower light, the Z7 EVF showed a noisier, less realistic and less pleasant rendering.  Too bad no dealer near me has both the Z7 and SL to test simultaneously.  Seems to me, though, that it's not all about EVF resolution/MP.  The dealer showed me a booklet that describes how Nikon designed the EVF to best approximate an optical view, but whatever they did, seemed to have positive effect.  I hope the SL2 EVF performs as well.

Jeff

Cannot agree more on the Z7 viewfinder.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tri said:

It is a shame, that a late entry to the mirrorless field needs such a modification for superior results.

It doesn't need any modification, if you had read through it was simply mentioned because a 'mine is bigger than yours' contest had been started. The whole point of the Z7 with M lenses is the already very thin cover glass.

Edited by 250swb

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

It doesn't need any modification, if you had read through it was simply mentioned because a 'mine is bigger than yours' contest had been started. The whole point of the Z7 with M lenses is the already very thin cover glass.

1.1mm for the Z7 vs 0.8mm for the M240, 0.5mm for the M8 and 0.2mm for the Kolari mod. Reason why Kolari does a mod for the Z7 i guess. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb lct:

1.1mm for the Z7 vs 0.8mm for the M240, 0.5mm for the M8 and 0.2mm for the Kolari mod. Reason why Kolari does a mod for the Z7 i guess. 

“turns out that the 1.1mm figure from KolariVision for the sensor cover glass does not include the expoxied-on glass portion of the sensor. So the real figure is ~2.3mm total glass thickness, not 1.1mm...”

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2018/20181009_1248-NikonZ7-cover-glass-thickness.html

vor 3 Stunden schrieb 250swb:

Film shooters have a big one to begin with :D

A big following in LUF, considering that Leica‘s the last and brave one (except Linhof etc.) to ditch film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn‘t Jeff mention lately, the Fujifilm GFX 100 having the sensor covered by substantial protection glass thickness? I wish I could remember the source he quoted. 

It's a problem of M lenses on digital sensors. Very thin sensor stacks are not required otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

“turns out that the 1.1mm figure from KolariVision for the sensor cover glass does not include the expoxied-on glass portion of the sensor. So the real figure is ~2.3mm total glass thickness, not 1.1mm...”

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2018/20181009_1248-NikonZ7-cover-glass-thickness.html

Inteesting thanks. Could explain the Z7's results with M wides.
The Kolari teardown does not refer to that "expoxied-on glass portion" though.
https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

1 hour ago, tri said:

Didn‘t Jeff mention lately, the Fujifilm GFX 100 having the sensor covered by substantial protection glass thickness? I wish I could remember the source he quoted. 

Don’t know if you’re referring to me, but I did provide a link some time ago  regarding the original GFX and the 9mm gap between its sensor and cover glass to make dust less visible...

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/gfx-technologies-2/

Jeff

Posted (edited)

The flange back of G Mount is 26.7mm, but you can place a lens 10.0mm further back. The back focus distance is 16.7mm....

The cover glass is placed 9mm away from the sensor surface. If you know about mount design, then we are certain that you will be surprised with the figure.“

(This is a quote from the Fujifilm article written in 2017 that you gave us.) 

I wish I knew the exact figures of other mirrorless mounts, like SL, E, R, Z. 

Comparable drawings with exact dimensions, including the distance from the sensor plane to the anterior surface of the cover glass, too. And also the cover glass thickness. 

Edited by tri