Steve Huff on M glass with Nikon Z7

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

Check out Sean Reid’s z7 with 28 Elmarit review.  It’s decent.  Unfortunately it’s the old 28 Elmarit, which is tougher on mirrorless. 

I got the impression he'd made a decision to start his rangefinder lens tests with two compact lenses that proved troublesome on the Sony A7R  and Leica SL to establish a 'better or worse' datum point with the Z7. And yes, the Z7 comes out very well indeed. He also makes some interesting observations about whether some corner falloff with these lenses is important at all in the wider scheme of things. It's nice to see some balance between 'tests' and 'real world'.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 250swb said:

[...] And yes, the Z7 comes out very well indeed. [...]

Not my feeling i must say. Corners look simply ugly to me. It is a disappointment for me as a Leica and Nikon user but my Kolari mod A7s does much better with the same lens fortunately. 

23 hours ago, lct said:

Not my feeling i must say. Corners look simply ugly to me. It is a disappointment for me as a Leica and Nikon user but my Kolari mod A7s does much better with the same lens fortunately. 

I think we really are in wonderland territory if lens and camera tests are now expected to be done with specially modified cameras that have no relationship with what people go out and buy. He found both these very difficult lenses performed best on an M10 anyway. That he bothers to even test these lenses in a world of pixel peepers is a testament to his rigour in maintaining datum points and not hiding away worst case scenarios. 

But let us conjecture if you want to. Using these 'poor-for-digital' lenses (reminder, 28mm f/2.8 pre asph Elmarit and Voigtlander 28mm Skopar f/3.5) Reid put the M10 top, then SL, Z7, and A7 bottom. So if as you imply the A7 with the Kolari modification puts the A7 top, thus trashing the M10, then the Z7 with the Kolari modification would logically in turn knock spots off the A7. You see this is what happens when you start 'my camera is better than yours' debates, you'll find you still bought the wrong camera.  

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Not much interested in those debates sorry, i have too many cameras for that :cool:. In my own subjective classification of mirror-less digital cameras using M lenses (no experience with SL or M10), my M8.2 is on the top, followed by my Ricoh GXR A12, Sony A7s mod, Leica M240, Leica digital CL, Fuji X-E2, Epson RD1 and the stock Sony A7r2 of my office coming out worst due to its thicker sensor stack. Judging by what Sean Reid said, i would rank the Z7 between the Fuji and the Epson in that classification, which is not that bad being a full frame camera. Not good enough for me to buy one i'm afraid but i would be interested if Kolari makes a modification for Z7 or Z6 certainly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, lct said:

In my own subjective classification of mirror-less digital cameras using M lenses (no experience with SL or M10),

So you would rather subvert the zeitgeist of the Reid reviews and what can be learned generally between all the standard cameras he uses just to be an internet warrior, great work, I guess everybody should do what they are good at. And yes, Kolari do offer a modification for the Z7.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, 250swb said:

So you would rather subvert the zeitgeist of the Reid reviews and what can be learned generally between all the standard cameras he uses just to be an internet warrior, great work, I guess everybody should do what they are good at. And yes, Kolari do offer a modification for the Z7.

"subvert the zeitgeist of the Reid reviews", "Internet warrior"... Are there really people interested in that? I'm becoming too old for those things i guess but thank you for your tip about Kolari anyway.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:01 AM, 250swb said:

The Z7's EVF is far superior compared with the Visoflex (I can directly compare these), and while I'm only going on memory it is also easily as good as the SL.

I played with the Z7 at a local dealer today and, as someone who has not liked any EVF to date (including on the SL), I must say that the Z7 EVF seemed the most natural of any I've tried, at least as best I remember.  The light wasn't bright and contrasty outside, so the conditions were not as harsh as when I tested the SL (bright, contrasty light seems a challenge for most EVFs, including the SL).  Indoors, in lower light, the Z7 EVF showed a noisier, less realistic and less pleasant rendering.  Too bad no dealer near me has both the Z7 and SL to test simultaneously.  Seems to me, though, that it's not all about EVF resolution/MP.  The dealer showed me a booklet that describes how Nikon designed the EVF to best approximate an optical view, but whatever they did, seemed to have positive effect.  I hope the SL2 EVF performs as well.

Jeff

Just testing Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 on Z7 with 7 Artisans adapter, wide open. Nice colours, I like the image.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I hope the SL2 EVF performs as well.

I'm sure it will, possibly even better. But the EVF on any camera is a tool for composition. If you can see what is in the picture that's about all that's needed, but a good EVF is nice to have. In times gone by photographers found it possible to make photographs where the image was presented to them upside down and back to front on a ground glass screen. Such leaps of faith that it will all turn out ok are uncommon in modern photography with the EVF gaining precedent over what a photographer can see with their eyes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

I'm sure it will, possibly even better. But the EVF on any camera is a tool for composition. If you can see what is in the picture that's about all that's needed, but a good EVF is nice to have. In times gone by photographers found it possible to make photographs where the image was presented to them upside down and back to front on a ground glass screen. Such leaps of faith that it will all turn out ok are uncommon in modern photography with the EVF gaining precedent over what a photographer can see with their eyes.  

Much longer discussion that I’ve written about before.  For me, HOW I see the subject (and focus on it) is the first critical threshold for considering any camera. If I don’t like that experience, the rest is immaterial. Control interface, ergonomics, lens line, and other factors follow.  I’m well aware that others prioritize differently.  Sean Reid wrote an essay long ago, I think called “Seeing the Subject,” that reflects many of my own thoughts on the matter.  And, yes, I’m a long time view camera user.  The ground glass experience not only taught me a lot about photo composition, but turning the image upside down was used as a technique in one of my favorite drawing classes, and made me a much better drawer, and see-er in general. To this day, I sometimes flip pics upside down (on screen or print) to better gauge aspects such as composition, geometry and tonal balance.

EVFs for me, despite obvious technical advantages (focus mag, etc), have thus far  felt like bad tv screens, a wholly unsatisfactory experience.  The Z7 VF was more natural, at least under the overcast sky during my short trial.  What others think on the matter doesn’t affect my opinion or buying decisions.  Choices are good.

Jeff

• Like 1

Testing Summilux 75mm on Nikon Z7

This is wide open f/1.4

Edited by forestlander

Nikon Z + 75mm Summilux, bokeh at f/1.4

Nikon Z7 + 75mm Summilux , bokeh at f/4

Nikon Z7 + 75mm Summilux, at f/16, is forming star with 10 r

• 2 weeks later...
Am 29.7.2019 um 22:02 schrieb 250swb:

...And yes, Kolari do offer a modification for the Z7.

It is a shame, that a late entry to the mirrorless field needs such a modification for superior results.

Edited by tri