Steve Huff on M glass with Nikon Z7

bags27

So it works with a 50mm ; not much detail about other M lenses there.

The highlight protection metering mode seems most interesting ; on the the CL I normally work  manual exposure with an eye on the histogram to protect highlights; automating this would be nice.

Still not jumping on the Nikon Z or Panasonic S until after SL2 and next M launches. For size and practicality , the M + CL/TL combo may be as good a bet as any long term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phib said:

Hmm, I'm wondering if all of this also applies to the Z6? Afaik its the same sensor just smaller so it should produce same the quality?

The Z6 as opposed to the Z7 has an AA filter and 24 MP. The physical size of the sensor is the same. Whether or not the sensor is "the same" otherwise, I do not know.

Seeing these good results I am thinking getting the adapter for the Z6. Especially for taking pictures of flowers and other things in nature, the foldable display is handy. On the other hand I could just get a Visoflex for the M10 for that... but another side effect would be to have two cameras with good lenses on them so the need to switch lenses all the time would be gone.

I tried a few lenses at 1 stop intervals on a Z7 to note down for myself which apertures seemed to work.  Here is how I judged it.

• 21 super elmar - reasonable at 5.6
  • 28 elmarit - okay from 5.6 onwards
  • 35 summilux (pre asph) - good from 4.0
  • 50 summilux - okay from 2.8
  • 90 summicron - good at all apertures
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a guest reviews so don't blame/credit Steve Huff for it!

The reviewer says  'after using zoom focus assist you can’t get back to normal view by half-pressing the shutter release button. You have to either expose with picture magnified in detail or get back to overall composition using the magnifier button'

Yes: I found this a PITA with M lenses on Z7 – anyway, went back to Leica and 24MP.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, microview said:

Yes: I found this a PITA with M lenses on Z7 – anyway, went back to Leica and 24MP.

It hasn't bothered me, a quick dab on the magnifier button if on a tripod or the custom assigned FN2 button (set it to Zoom On/Off) if hand holding gets me back to the full image area. I've tried all my Leica lenses and all of them work very well, and I'm especially impressed with colour balance which I'm finding is far more reliable than my M10. 

They said the EVF of the SL is the best in the market, at the time it came out. I don’t read anything about the Z7’s EVF in this review, accept that’s a bit cumbersome using the zoom function to focus. 

Edited by otto.f

Well you can think about Steve Huff what you like, but he is definitely the writer who’s the best in yelling in written text, and the loudest. This Z7 review is quite whispering though. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, harmen said:

I tried a few lenses at 1 stop intervals on a Z7 to note down for myself which apertures seemed to work.  Here is how I judged it.

• 21 super elmar - reasonable at 5.6
  • 28 elmarit - okay from 5.6 onwards
  • 35 summilux (pre asph) - good from 4.0
  • 50 summilux - okay from 2.8
  • 90 summicron - good at all apertures

Thanks for your impressions.

For reference, how are you quoting the same lenses on a M body?

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

Well you can think about Steve Huff what you like, but he is definitely the writer who’s the best in yelling in written text, and the loudest. This Z7 review is quite whispering though. 

Maybe it would have been louder if he'd actually written it?

2 hours ago, Lelmer said:

Thanks for your impressions.

For reference, how are you quoting the same lenses on a M body?

On my M240 and analogue Ms, I find them all great at all apertures, taking into account some interesting effects for the 35lux.  For me the Z7 is for use underwater.  More pixels are not my concern for above water and I find the M experience better.  Still, I wanted to see what so many pixels would look like with the M glass.  Wide angle wide open is not brilliant in the corners.   I expect that if you are interested in landscape, the Z7 would be quite worthwhile though.