Canon tripod collar?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I apologize for bringing up what has been discussed somewhere, but, for the life of me, I can no longer find that discussion.

I'm interested in putting a tripod collar on my R 80-200 + 2x APO extender, and thought I had remembered the correct one: it was to fit the Canon 70-200 f/2.8.  But it arrived yesterday and it is way too large.

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF43RA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dimensions on Amazon are always a crap shoot, but FWIW: 5.4 x 4.3 x 3.1 inches. It also says it's a "B " ring.

There are similar collars that say "A" ring and purport to have different dimensions (but not necessarily the same with each other). For example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W2Y8PC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UHLVL8IH9Q52&psc=1

and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078126RBL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AP3VA1GJZM3EQ&psc=1#customerReviews

I'd appreciate any assistance before ordering another. Thanks in advance.

There is dedicated 3rd party lens collar that fitted 3* R lenses including 80-200mm f4 zoom that was made by (Rainer) Burzynski, apparently better quality than a dedicated collar made by Leica.  From memory there is no type only reference is in relation to the lenses.  I suspect out of production but old stock may linger with one of German stockists.  

If you can find one you should know it is all metal minus plastic sleeve in direct contact with the lens, it is fitted with ARCA-SWISS foot but it only allows photographing in landscape orientation.  I know all of this as i have one in front of me right now.

*Three lenses:-

APO Macro Elmarit 100mm

APO Elmarit 180mm

80-200 Zoom 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'll try to make do with what I have and a rubber insert until another Burzynski comes on the market (the one mmradman links is now sold, I believe). But searching for one elsewhere (in vain) at least let me find the original thread:

I really appreciate all the help.

Ken

You may be thinking of the Vello TC-AB tripod collar A (B) for the Canon 200mm 2.8 L lens.  I have one I can sell you, because after I bought It I found the Burzynski model.  Unused in the box.  PM if interested.

Full disclosure.  Using the Vello collar is known to interfere with the red indexing dot on your lens unless you are very careful.

Edited by Rodin Clark