Trouble updating T firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even though I believe I'm following all the steps (battery fresh out of the charger, SD card empty, formatted in-camera, holding only the firmware update file) I'm not able to update the firmware of my T (currently running 1.6, looking to upgrade to 1.9). Is there a wonky combination of settings that makes the Video ON + Turn-on not work (the camera just starts up normally). I've successfully updated the firmware in the past, so I'm baffled. Thanks!

1. Download an updated version of the firmware.

2. Copy the firmware file onto a SD Memory Card in its top level folder.

3. Make sure to turn off the power switch on the camera.

4. Insert the fully charged battery to the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process

screen will not appear.

5. Insert the SD Memory Card into the camera.

6. Turn the camera – while simultaneously pressing the video release button – on.

7. The firmware update screen will appear. Press OK.

8. The LEICA T will start the update process. The firmware update will take about 90 seconds.

9. After the update process please restart the camera.

The most common mistake is not putting the file in the top level (root) folder.  Follow the instructions to the letter.

I put in a battery right off the charger...SD card is formatted in-camera with only the firmware file on it (see image)...Video ON and Power ON and normal camera screen comes up. Weird.

Thanks for the replies...even though I'm still at square one.

Joe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 10 months later...

Not sure about this version but in a previous update there was the need to rename the file in order to have the camera locate it.

Try to rename it to T701_V190.TUF and see whether this allows the update process to start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, JPP1 said:

Not sure about this version but in a previous update there was the need to rename the file in order to have the camera locate it.

Try to rename it to T701_V190.TUF and see whether this allows the update process to start.

Renaming the file worked! I was going mad! Thanks taildraggin!!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks! 

I'm new to Leica and was wondering where to find the latest update for the T (701). All the links on this forum and other websites weren't working (Error 404 - page not found). I've read that it's because of a new Website-Layout, but on "Photography" the only T I could find is the TL2, T 701 ist no longer listed on their Website. 

Got my T today with Software 1.3 and wanted to update the firmware but couldn't find it anywhere.. Any tips where it has gone?

Thanks in advance guys! 

Edited by KM900

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, KM900 said:

Hello folks! 

I'm new to Leica and was wondering where to find the latest update for the T (701). All the links on this forum and other websites weren't working (Error 404 - page not found). I've read that it's because of a new Website-Layout, but on "Photography" the only T I could find is the TL2, T 701 ist no longer listed on their Website. 

Got my T today with Software 1.3 and wanted to update the firmware but couldn't find it anywhere.. Any tips where it has gone?

Thanks in advance guys! 

Hi KM900, I found the solution to our same problem by contacting Leica Customer Serivice. I am based in London so I got a reply from Leica UK within one hour of original question. They are very helpful!! They sent me both the firmware files and the instructions in their email. The firmware on my T was 1.1 so they had to send me two firmware files (1.3 and 1.9). I had to perform the two steps update; i.e. 1.1 -> 1.3->1.9. Version 1.9 is the latest one for T. Now my T can use my 18mm and a few other newer TL lenses.

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2020 at 6:03 AM, JPP1 said:

JPP1 you're a legend - Thank you - I was beating my head against the wall and happened across your fix - worked perfectly!!!!!!

• Like 1