New: Leica M-E (Type 240)

On 6/25/2019 at 5:06 PM, wattsy said:

I'm sure you can get more than €2K for a used M-P. The new M-E is priced at least 50% higher than the going rate for a used M240 in good condition. I don't think it will have much impact on the used market because those on a budget considering a used M240 at, say, £2250 are not likely to be swayed by the newness of an M-E at £3500. Besides, the price isn't a brand new price point. I bought my M240 last year, brand new, from an authorised dealer for £3499.

I just bought a brand new M240 this year and seems the new M-E overwhelm the M240 on specification.  Can I say M-E is equivalent to M240 p? 

16 hours ago, aj37 said:

There has to be somebody here who has both an M240 and an M10... in all honesty, how dramatic is the difference?

Discussed frequently: some see a big difference; some see minor improvement,  and some none.  I’m in the first camp. As an eyeglass wearer, I value the bigger opening, better eye relief and higher magnification.  Like many aspects of photography, tastes differ.  

Jeff

• Like 1

I see a 9 year old camera costing just under £4000, that has terrible banding issues. I bought an MP 240 a few years back and returned it within a week. Loved the camera (aesthetically) but couldn’t live with the dreadful sensor (imoa). Why not pick up a used like new condition M10 for a couple hundred £’s more. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Edited by wilks
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, wilks said:

I see a 9 year old camera costing just under £4000, that has terrible banding issues. I bought an MP 240 a few years back and returned it within a week. Loved the camera (aesthetically) but couldn’t live with the dreadful sensor (imoa). Why not pick up a used like new condition M10 for a couple hundred £’s more.

Because for some of us (not you, obviously) a couple of hundred £€$ is a significant amount of money...? Thanks for pointing out about the banding, though — I had hoped that was a solved issue by now, but possibly not.

Wilks,

No brainer for you,

maybe some hundreds futur buyers would buy this old tech camera.

I hope that Leica Camera has it right, this time on choosing to place an old tech M at this price.

Discussed somewhere that 24M pix, usable to 3200 ISO for Leica M camera can make some people happy.

Thousands of M240 (family) users would not swap,

but new M comers could purchase new M for second hand M price.

• Like 1

I'm still using my M8 released in 2006, I got it early 2009 after the release of the M8.2 and the M8 became available with a rebate. Some people sold their M8 and got one back after some time.

Have been looking into a second hand M (-P) Type 240 from time to time. If I would buy second hand from a serious well known Leica dealer (Germany, Austria, UK,...) in very good condition and a warranty offered by the dealer, the price difference with the new M-E 240 is not that big, but I would have full warranty with the M-E. Found an interesting point of view from a professional photographer, he switched (almost) complete to m4/3, "The most ADVANCED Leica M EVER? - RED35 Review - Leica M-P Typ 240". In the end, I think it depends on what you want vs available budget.

Am 25.6.2019 um 10:57 schrieb pmlpoma:

I find it really unfair. Have you never seen Mercedes or Cadillac sell at the half price a model befor put it off production?

A Type 240 with this price kills the second hand market for this model, regardless the presence or the lack of a single functionality.

I paid my MP 240 6K€. How much Can I get selling it? 2K€?  Very disappointed. 

So don't sell it. 

On 6/26/2019 at 3:39 PM, Peter Kilmister said:

Having owned M240, M240-P, and M10-P maybe I can help.

M240: Basic, easily scatchable rear screen, poor buffering, Leica red dot. Continuous shooting option and Video function. Intuitive menu. A good camera but limitations.

M240-P: Incognito with no red dot. Same features as M240 but double buffering and a scratchproof rear screen. A very good camera and holds value better than M240.

M10-P: Incognito ... more than the M240-P because of the nearly silent shutter. Neither continuous shooting, nor Video. Slightly larger and brighter viewfinder. Better ISO handling. Menu is less intuitive than M240. Slightly thinner than M240, however battery is smaller and needs charging more often. Considerably more expensive so depreciation will be high unless you buy a used camera. An excellent camera which might be described in English vernacular as the dog's bollocks

None hold battery like a M-D 

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Wilks,

No brainer for you,

maybe some hundreds futur buyers would buy this old tech camera.

I hope that Leica Camera has it right, this time on choosing to place an old tech M at this price.

Discussed somewhere that 24M pix, usable to 3200 ISO for Leica M camera can make some people happy.

Thousands of M240 (family) users would not swap,

but new M comers could purchase new M for second hand M price.

For me personally ISO 3200 was not usable. I found from testing that the M262 was a lot better. Especially in post, where there was more wiggle room opening up the shadows. From what I believe, it is something to do with M240 having video within the camera, which from what I believe caused the banding issues. 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, budrichard said:

Interesting to read all the Posts from the Forum Members and ‘Experts’.

I got tired of reading about equipment and not photography on this forum years ago.

As a former Newspaper photog, used mostly Nikon F equipment  supplemented by M3 and 2&1/4X3&1/4 equipment. 

With the advent of further advances, an M6 0.85 and two M7’s 0.85 along with Nikon equipment came to my collection.

With a number of Leica ASPH lenses from 21, 35, 75 and 90 in my inventory, a switch to digital was in the offing but with the high prices, no.

So the New M-E fits the bill completely for me and not withstanding, the comments about body manufacture, Sensor, and whatever, it will take pictures!

Those that think of photography as an investment strategy may not like the New M-E.

Mine is on order.

-Richard

You'll have a great time with your M-E. I use to photograph for newspapers, too. Leicas and Nikons were the way to go. Leicas wide, Nikons long. You were very smart to hang onto all those Leica lenses. Most photojournalists I know dumped all their Leica stuff. Too bad really because the expense of getting into Leica digital is the lenses for newcomers to Leica. Anyway, good luck with your M-E. 

5 hours ago, ChicagoMatthew said:

So, are there only going to be 750 of these? I'm confused.

I interpreted the “available shortly” print on the graphic as meaning that the initial production batch is 750 and there will be more later.

Edited by aj37
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rojobear said:

You just don’t declare it and throw the box away. They will not know the difference. So no VAT tax.

Have you seen the price people pay for Leica boxes on eBay?  Better to pay the duty and get a refund by selling the box :)