New: Leica M-E (Type 240)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, satijntje said:

Is this the cheapest digital M ever?

I don't think so but pricing over time varies depending upon what currency you are paying in. In the UK, the original M8 was priced at £2995 and this new M-E is £3500 RRP. I think it is probably the cheapest full frame because the original M-E (M9 based) was something like £3800 RRP.

It looks to be a very good opportunity, for buyers (very good M-P 240 camera at low price),.... and for Leica trying to sell the last remaining M-P 240.

But, even if it is an "old" technology, the M-P 240 is a good, reliable camera, delivering very good pictures when opened properly with a dedicated software. For sure, the second hand market prices for M-P 240 will collapse, but people who bought a Leica for making photographs don't care !!

• Like 3

I find it really unfair. Have you never seen Mercedes or Cadillac sell at the half price a model befor put it off production?

A Type 240 with this price kills the second hand market for this model, regardless the presence or the lack of a single functionality.

I paid my MP 240 6K€. How much Can I get selling it? 2K€?  Very disappointed. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I doubt it.

(As an aside, brass is one of the cheapest materials available.)

It can be : the M262 top plate was made of aluminium (Botton plate is brass though), hence the claim of Leica by then that is was  lighter (and cheaper I think).

8 minutes ago, pmlpoma said:

I'm sure you can get more than €2K for a used M-P. The new M-E is priced at least 50% higher than the going rate for a used M240 in good condition. I don't think it will have much impact on the used market because those on a budget considering a used M240 at, say, £2250 are not likely to be swayed by the newness of an M-E at £3500. Besides, the price isn't a brand new price point. I bought my M240 last year, brand new, from an authorised dealer for £3499.

Edited by wattsy

5 minutes ago, waex99 said:

It can be : the M262 top plate was made of aluminium (Botton plate is brass though), hence the claim of Leica by then that is was  lighter (and cheaper I think).

I think the cost effectiveness of the M262 aluminium top plate (if indeed it was cheaper) was because it was anodised and not finished with a black paint like the regular M240. I don't think it had anything to do with the cost of brass v. aluminium.

If they are making these by hand in Germany--then you had better get your order in right now.  This camera will probably be very popular and you could get another Q waiting period---mine isn't due until the late Fall at best. 

Edited by rextilleon

2 hours ago, pmlpoma said:

I find it really unfair. Have you never seen Mercedes or Cadillac sell at the half price a model befor put it off production?

A Type 240 with this price kills the second hand market for this model, regardless the presence or the lack of a single functionality.

I bought a pristine M-P 240 for 2800 € last December so the "damage" is already done. I don't think the resale values will plummet that much.

Edited by mike3996

15 hours ago, bags27 said:

sorry....

One must not tell, that you have bought a new one. Take 3 pictures in the USA, then it isn't new any more. Please don't mention my name for this. 

By the way a German minister came back from Afganistan with carpets in his (diplomatic) luggage , he had to pay 19% afterwards!

PS. Te camera is nothing for me. No EVF possible!

Edited by jankap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Clip this from Leica Miami Store site. So it does have brass parts.

I am happy with my M-P 240's for now. I don't mind being a few generation behind. Plus I am very happy with 24MP and 16MP in the ASP-C family.

4 hours ago, waex99 said:

I think the M-E declination is the end of the life cycle for the M240...

I suspect you are right, this is the swan song of the M240 “Fat Elvis” chassis, and future models will be based on the thinner and more elegant-looking (but shorter battery life) M10-style chassis.

3 hours ago, pmlpoma said:

Have you seen prices going up on two and four years old M and C? Leica did increased their price on M240 at least twice.

And have you seen seven years old car models in productions these days?  

It is priced not that differently to an M240 and functionality looks like an MP240 (2GB buffed). It might in fact keeps more value than an MP240 for those that like the distinctive colouring. 

I continue to wonder about buying into the M system, and this lower price entry makes it harder!  IF the ME is largely the same as the MP240, then the factors that I would need to understand I am giving up vs a new M10 include:

1. Sensor - older design, colours (red), weaker High ISO performance 

2. OVF - I like the increase in size of the M10 viewfinder 

3. No physical ISO control

3 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Have you seen prices going up on two and four years old M and C? Leica did increased their price on M240 at least twice.

And have you seen seven years old car models in productions these days?  

And what about the SL pricing....

1 hour ago, mike3996 said:

I bought a pristine M-P 240 for 2800 € last December so the "damage" is already done. I don't think the resale values will plummet that much.

you are fine

this isn't an M-P, no sapphire glass, no Leica writing on top, red dot. only similarity is double buffer

rgds

• Like 1