M-E typ 240

low325

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just browsing over at the Leica and noticed a ‘new’ Leica M-E typ 240. Looks like it comes in the same gray as the gray Leica M9. Looks pretty sharp. 

They mention it will have a new attractive price for entry into M. Available end of July?  Anyone have any info on the intro price?

1 hour ago, Ray Vonn said:

Shame they haven't done it with the M10 like they did with the M9.

Agree.  I actually like this color combo.  And they’re using real leather.

59 minutes ago, bags27 said:

yes, another attempt to cash in on earlier tech, I guess. Does this mean that sales of the M10 are somewhat stalled?

Could be.  Or they could have just have a surplus of 240 parts ala the 240 twin from russia?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So the original M-E was the "last of the CCD cameras" once the M9 went away. Simplified a bit, discounted and recolored to blue-gray.

But I though the M(262) was already a simplified and discounted M(240).

(I like the Anthracite Gray chosen this time, though - shades of the R9).

Leica nomenclature is so - weird. When I hear "ME 262" I think of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262

• Like 5

It doesn't sound like the M-E has upgrades over the standard M240. I like this move in general.

You can get a brand new Leica camera (which is still excellent even with older technology) for around $4300.00-$4500.00 USD.

I'm surprised actually.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Giulio Zanni said:

Can't believe that instead of moving forward they resurrected the 240. The second hand market is flooded with 240, who's going to buy it new anyway?!

I don't think it is a question of resurrecting the 240 - it is just a(nother) way of getting rid of a warehouse-full of 240 parts.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, adan said:

I don't think it is a question of resurrecting the 240 - it is just a(nother) way of getting rid of a warehouse-full of 240 parts.

Understand, but marketing wise I don't think they are doing themselves a favor. Limited editions are already over the top with that. I have been using Leica on and off for the past thirty years and I would really like them to re-connect with photography. Fine with the fact that they are conservative, but they can't mainly keep on capitalizing on the very past. What about the M10 monochrom or the long-time advocated M wth evf? I think the technology is there, it's just a question of policy. I am using a 246 with evf, adapter and R28-70 which, even if a bit cumbersome, it's fine for my work. I want black and white files out of the camera, simple menus, limit changing lenses, easy to focus, compact size and Leica feeling. Not too ambitious demands, including a decent long exposure beyond the ridiculous 60 sec.  

• Like 1