Telephotos Lenses for a CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Always harping on this, looking for a working 200mm for the CL.
Have tried and $11 Canon FD 200 f4, not great results at least the price was right.
Used my Nikon adapter on my 80-210 f4 zoom, better results than the Canon but awkward to use because of the small focus ring at the end of the lens, not where your hand sits
My latest try will be an inexpensive Leitz 200 f4 Telyt, with the screw mt extension, doesn't need a Visoflex. Have extra screw to M adapters so we'll see.

Still think the 70-200 Panasonic is the answer but until I see some reviews I am not spending that level of money.

The gold standard is the R 180 APO f/3.4, but word has it is very best at infinity, not quite as sharp otherwise. I have the R 80-200 f/4 which is very, very good. Both lenses are obviously a lot more expensive than what you've had/are considering

Here is a good resource:

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leica-r-catalog

I have been staying away from R lenses because of the $800 adapter. Checking Ebay the 180 was less expensive than I thought it would be. I haven't looked at the 80-200. I have truthfully been playing around with telephotos, less than $200 invested, so if I get serious...

Does the R to L adapter allow the aperture to operate on the R lens?

Hello,

If you mean does it allow auto stop down then no - you set the aperture on the lens.  If the light is reasonably bright you can focus using either the viewfinder image, or the rear screen and, when possible, use the magnifying function. You can use aperture priority having set the aperture you want. In dim light you may need to focus with the aperture wide open then stop down to your desired setting using either aperture priority or manual exposure control.  If the lens is a ROM, the camera will recognise the lens and aperture used.

The R lenses I have are a 280 f4 Apo ROM + 2x converter and a 100 apo macro ROM with 1:1 Elpro which I keep for specific jobs.   I've put my 180 f2.8  Apo ROM up for sale having acquired a 55-135 L lens.  All the R series lenses work flawlessly using the Leica R-L adapter.

Hope this helps,

Graeme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have been staying away from R lenses because of the $800 adapter. Checking Ebay the 180 was less expensive than I thought it would be. I haven't looked at the 80-200. I have truthfully been playing around with telephotos, less than $200 invested, so if I get serious...

Does the R to L adapter allow the aperture to operate on the R lens?

you can always buy very inexpensive R to M and M to L adaptors on ebay. They work fine, except that focus magnification is then done with the up and down arrows. If you want the magnification to be done on the wheel (I think desirable if holding a telephoto lens), then get a cheap R to M and get a used (under $300) Leica M to L adaptor. 

Of course, the camera will not then recognize the lens, but you can approximate that (select the closest M lens) yourself.

Edited by bags27

If you stack R-adapter-M with M-Adapter-L a menu will allow you to select the right R lens. 

Stacking these two adapters proves to be problematic with some R lenses : causing high vignetting  

Only R-Adapter-L works flawlessly  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That really depends on the adapter. The vignetting occurs if you use the old Leicina adapter. If you use a Novoflex or one of the  better ones from the Internet there are no vignetting problems, at least not on my 105-280, which is one of the worst offenders. The only thing one loses by stacking is the ROM connection and the thing one saves is a stack of money.

My long lens solution is an M Adapter L stacked with an R Adapter M, and on top of that I use an Elmar-R 180mm f/4 with or without a 2x Extender-R. With the extender, that's a nice tight 540mm lens in equivalent FF FoV. 

I already had the two adapters from when I was shooting with the SL, and I have more than enough Leica M and R mount lenses to satisfy any of my needs now; don't own any L mount lenses. 

This setup works fine ... although the Elmar-R 180 and non-APO teleconverter aren't at the same quality level as the later APO lenses and converters, they are good performers anyway and for the little I use such long lenses, work fine. The mount adapters I have are in constant use so were worth every penny I paid for them ... :)

Edited by ramarren