MS-Optics Vario Prasma 50/1.5

Ecar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Ecar said:

I managed to take a few (eminently boring) pictures earlier this evening. Focusing through EVF, but all handheld, so apologies for slight differences in framing. Default conversion in LR, with exposure slightly lifted to compensate for -1/3 EV set in camera.

These are wide open at f/1.5, with SA adjustment set to 6 (maximum level) above and 2 (minimum level) below.

It certainly is a specialty lens!

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, bayernfan said:

Yet, I am glad he does what he does.  It's easy enough to purchase a slow super-resolving lens (Voigtlander VM Heliar 50/3.5).  It's not so easy to find and adapt/mount optics from the 19th and early 20th century.

A little more variety would be welcome though.  Perhaps something a bit more Mandler?

I'm all for quirky, older or unique lenses with character; my collection consists of Canon LTM 100/2, 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 as well as Leica 50/2 Rigid and Summaron 35 ƒ/2.8. Once owned a Nikkor 50/1.2 and despite the SA, some CA, coma and veiling flare wide-open (far less than this lens), resolution was still quite high, resulting in a beautifully dreamy and gently rendered image, all gone by ƒ/2.

When I see the results wide-open on the MS 50/1 or the Prasma ƒ/1.5 (heavy veiling, severe chromatic aberrations only clearing by ƒ/4), it appears unusable for color images. With all the affordable options out there, that 's just unacceptable nowadays. I'd have gotten the Canon 50/1.2 LTM or a clean 50 Summicron collapsible for that sort of rendition.

Edited by james.liam

50 minutes ago, james.liam said:

I'm all for quirky, older or unique lenses with character; my collection consists of Canon LTM 100/2, 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 as well as Leica 50/2 Rigid and Summaron 35 ƒ/2.8. Once owned a Nikkor 50/1.2 and despite the SA, some CA, coma and veiling flare wide-open (far less than this lens), resolution was still quite high, resulting in a beautifully dreamy and gently rendered image, all gone by ƒ/2.

James, I think I understand: we have different "acceptable quirkiness" thresholds... With the exception of the Nikkor, these lenses are also part of my collection. IMO, they are some of the best lenses ever made, relatively modern, and still very relevant today. To me, they are far from being quirky...

50 minutes ago, james.liam said:

When I see the results wide-open on the MS 50/1 or the Prasma ƒ/1.5 (heavy veiling, severe chromatic aberrations only clearing by ƒ/4), it appears unusable for color images. With all the affordable options out there, that 's just unacceptable nowadays. I'd have gotten the Canon 50/1.2 LTM or a clean 50 Summicron collapsible for that sort of rendition.

I agree that most of Miyazaki's lenses seem to be designed with B&W in mind - and generally produce better results when used with (or converted to) monochrome. It could be related to the fact that he likes revisiting old optical formulas, which reference imagery is primarily in B&W. I also happen to prefer B&W to color, so that's OK. As I wrote in the OP, the 50/1 is probably a step too far,  but I have good hope of achieving acceptable (to me) results with the Prasma once I understand how it really works... As for the Canon 50/1.2 and the collapsible Summicron, I also have these and they render very differently (especially the Summicron) - if anything, I guess you could say that, despite their flaws, they are *better* lenses...

• Like 3

Better must be judged by the result you achieve against your vision for a particular photo.  This one doesn’t look like my thing but I also like to experiment and, heck, I’ve got an Imagon in the stable...  😉

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, Ecar said:

If you already own a perfect lens, such as the 50mm  F2 Apo Summicron and the F2 Summicron, sometimes one feels a need for atmospherics and optical miasma that reminds us of how the human visual field actually perceives things at times. We have a fovea, and our visual field falls off at the edges. I have a suite of lenses for that purpose, such as the Nikon S-mount F1.4 and the Jupiter F2 for Contax, but I'm really looking forward to the Prasma (which is on its way from Japan) because it has a variable spherical aberration ring. The  Jupiter and Nikon lenses improve radically when you stop them down. The Vario Prasma maintains some spherical aberration as you stop it down. 

Is there anyone out there who knows how to fix the Vario Prasma 50mm F1.5? I have one and the barrel is loose, it spins freely and wiggles so the images look like they were taken with a shift lens. Must be a hidden screw loose somewhere.  There is a size limit for file uploads on this forum, but if anyone want to see video it is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlp1vghagr8bpq5/IMG_4415.MOV?dl=0

Edited by Twasi

6 hours ago, Hello said:

Indeed he does. I'm loving my Minilux 40mm Summarit.

One of these? 😁

Just happened to have it mounted on the M240.

Yes, quite impressive if you get along with the focal length.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's my only converted lens from Miyazaki.

I know he frequently converts Contax-G to Leica M, but he can do many others, including some exotic ones.

Best would be to get in touch with Bellamy at Japan Camera Hunter and ask him to liaise with Miyazaki.

The overall conversion process isn't cheap though, so you may want to get a cost estimate beforehand.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Twasi said:

Is there anyone out there who knows how to fix the Vario Prasma 50mm F1.5? I have one and the barrel is loose, it spins freely and wiggles so the images look like they were taken with a shift lens. Must be a hidden screw loose somewhere.  There is a size limit for file uploads on this forum, but if anyone want to see video it is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlp1vghagr8bpq5/IMG_4415.MOV?dl=0

Probably an easy fix, but I'm afraid it needs to go back to its maker for repair - especially if you didn't drop or bang it, you should be covered.

The construction of MS lenses is not very complex (albeit delicate), so a third-party technician could also take care of it. FWIW, I've had Will van Manen fix one similar issue on a Perar 35/3.5 in the past.

7 hours ago, Ecar said:

That's my only converted lens from Miyazaki.

I know he frequently converts Contax-G to Leica M, but he can do many others, including some exotic ones.

Best would be to get in touch with Bellamy at Japan Camera Hunter and ask him to liaise with Miyazaki.

The overall conversion process isn't cheap though, so you may want to get a cost estimate beforehand.

Definitely. I went through Bellamy for mine as well. It was about $600. I got lucky and found the minilux for $100. I orignially tried the homebrew option from a chinese dealer but the kit that arrived was severely deficient. The aperture was not aligned properly and the blades had globs of grease. The focus was off. Overall a piss poor product and when I brought these issues up the dealer refused a replacement. Had to file a claim with paypal and hgot a full refund and ended up getting to keep the faulty product because the seller was so intractable in the exchange. After that just figured it was worth going to Miyazaki who has an established quality of product.

I have a Vario Prasma but it immediately had to go into the shop for repairs. The whole front end came loose. It is a very eccentric lens, no pun intended, but if you learn the settings it can produce some excellent effects. But I don't think it should fall apart in your hands. 

Edited by Twasi
improve wording