I have GAS, and I need help with my Kit

danieldouloslee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not rent them and see for yourself...

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/lenses/mounts/leica-m

I prefer the handling/ergonomics of the Summilux ASPH compared to the APO, the latter lacking a fully knurled focus ring (sacrificed to keep compact) and loose aperture ring (fixable, but existed on all 3 copies I tried). Plus I get an extra stop.  Quality of prints made using my shooting and PP workflow was limited only by me.  

There are things no forum survey will clarify. Practical experience can be a good antidote to GAS.  Kind of like dating your dream partner... fantasy and reality can differ.

Summarits are also terrific lenses, some with less focus shift and flare than equivalent FL Summicrons.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

3 hours ago, danieldouloslee said:

elaborate by what you mean

As i said, I see more possibilities for different kinds and styles of photography with the Summilux 50; stills, portraits, selective focus etc. I see the APO more as a street lens, because it's a Summicron. For landscape you'll mostly use 4.0 and up and there it's not particularly better than others.

Btw, don't think too much. Or do: if you keep thinking and doubting very much the GAS will go away and you'll end up buying nothing. Until the next wave, often in a totally different direction.

Edited by otto.f

35 and 50 are pretty close together, I wouldn't think you'd be changing between them too often when out shooting. Having said that, I think the 35 would stay on your camera 90% of the time, especially if you're shooting street. Or, if your style fits the 50 more, its going to stay on your camera 90% of the time... either way, taking both is probably overkill. Less is more, ya know? 

If it's me, I would have two camera, two lens set up. If you want to shoot the 50, I would take a 50/28 setup... maybe keep the 90 in the bag if you're looking to do a portrait or if you need some distance. 

On 6/17/2019 at 11:59 AM, lykaman said:

My last GAS episode was a new M 28mm Summicron - wifey got $1k worth of diamond earrings.. I'm so good..🕺

I added one to my M collection, very contrasty, but mouthwatering results.. L

How many cameras and lenses would Henri Cartier-Bresson have taken out with him? I understand he did reconnaissance and then turned up when the the light or weather was just perfect.

If you wish to take street shots from an outside table at a cafe then go there and try out various lenses while sipping an espresso.

Then, when everything suits you it is a simple job to turn up and get the shot you wish for.

Edited by Peter Kilmister
  • Like 2

It was the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH that prompted me to add the Leica M system, in April 2018, so I have a personal bias. I love the look of the ‘Lux ASPH images. Sometimes, especially in really low light, I will shoot wider than f/2. It was not be a matter of having either a ‘Lux ASPH or a ‘Cron APO, for me, but having the ‘Lux ASPH, and then eventually adding another 50mm lens, as practicable. I added an Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8, this month. These two Fifties seem to have cured my G.A.S., at least for Fifties, as a “Cron APO, even though attainable, with some creative budgeting, has ceased to be a significant desire. I have not yet ruled-out adding an older ‘Cron 50mm lens. If a nice sample were to tempt me, but the Elmar-M is really quite nice.

Interestingly, 50mm has not been a favored focal length with my DSLR cameras. 50mm seems to be “my” rangefinder focal length.

I do have M10 and Monochrome 246 cameras, so, it seems sensible enough to have more than one, each, of my favored focal length lenses. There are times that I like the idea of being able to shoot the same scene, in quick succession, with each camera.

I very much want my 50mm lenses to me true Leica-M lenses, but will buy Zeiss lenses for the other focal lengths. I had already established a taste for images produced with Zeiss ZF.2 and ZE lenses, on DSLRs, so choosing Zeiss ZM lenses, for the 21mm, 85mm, and then, 35mm focal lengths was not a difficult choice. (I also have a 3.5cm Summaron-M and 90mm Thambar-M.)

I find 35mm and 50mm to be quite different; worlds apart in angle-of-view and in the manner of use. These are my favored Leica/rangefinder focal lengths, as I rarely use the other lenses.

To be clear, I will again state that I am not posting as an experienced Leica M shooter, but as a relative beginner with the Leica M system.

Edited by RexGig0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you go for the APO? Looking through your feed, I suspect it would suit you perfectly. Having owned the 50 lux for several years, I agree that it is 95% as good as the APO, but that remaining 5% is worth it for some. There is a certain perfection in your style that makes me think that you would appreciate it, and you clearly understand the focal length. It has a corner to corner sharpness that is extraordinary without being too clinical, and I find the transitions from in-focus to out-of-focus blur even more pleasing than the 50 lux. It is also ergonomically perfect, unlike the 50 lux, which is more long and front-heavy.

I find that the subtle qualities of the lens make a huge difference in my appreciation of the images, so it is worth getting it right. Having gone through a collection of four 35s and three 28s, the others that I think might suit your style are the (very-big-but-worth-it) 28 lux and the (ditto) ZM 35 distagon. Put the 24 elmar in there too if you like even wider.

Edited by gotium

I think that the only reason to buy a Leica M is to use Leica primes. Yes, they are expensive as hell and probably a real stretch on the financial resources of most photographers. 

I suggest a 28 or 35 Summicron and a Summilux 50. These might be the only lenses you every need for 95% of your travel photography.

If you need longer glass, consider an excellent APSC system like Fuji X. This is the reason that I kept my Fuji XT3 so that I have access to excellent Fuji XF zooms.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I spent a while looking at your photographs. You have a wonderful eye and know what to use to get these shots. I am a leica photographer and don't use any glass that's not leica except on a 135 mm Canon M Mount. I think I'd take a single lens and as some have suggested, a 28 elmarit aspherical.  Wide but no distortion and the new one is very small and for around 2200 it's a real bargain. This lens is as sharp as the summicron but a 2.8,. lighter,  and well balanced on the camera. Great lens for zone focus.  If you need a second lens I'd get a 50 summicron, ver 4. readily available on the used market,   Less is more ...

Jack

• Like 1

If you have decided to go for either 50 APO or 50 Summilux, and price doesn't matter, and you mostly shoot between f/5.6 and 8 – does size and weight matter? Then I would go for the slightly smaller and lighter APO. I think that would be the ultimate 50mm for you.

Hi all! So I did the most improbable thing; I've bought both the 50mm APO and Summilux ASPH!

One of them will go back on the market however. I figured it'd cost me less to go about this way than to rent the two lenses on a website (as I will be careful with the lenses). DAG is currently servicing my 'lux as we speak (CLA), so it'll be working as good as new. Excited to see how the lenses perform! If someone is interested in either lens, don't hesitate to let me know!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, danieldouloslee said:

Hi all! So I did the most improbable thing; I've bought both the 50mm APO and Summilux ASPH!

One of them will go back on the market however. I figured it'd cost me less to go about this way than to rent the two lenses on a website (as I will be careful with the lenses). DAG is currently servicing my 'lux as we speak (CLA), so it'll be working as good as new. Excited to see how the lenses perform! If someone is interested in either lens, don't hesitate to let me know!

Craziness... the GAS is real!!! haha Congrats though! Beautiful lenses. I love my 50 lux, starting to feel it more than my long used 35.... although, 50 is still to tight in the streets. 

Before you sell the Lux, you should do some comparisons shots and post them up... I do love a good side by side.

I am insanely jealous of that 50 APO - I hope you find a way to make it work as it really does sound like the nearly perfect 50mm lens.  Congratulations!  Just started following you on Instagram too...looking forward to seeing what you shoot with it!

On 6/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, danieldouloslee said:

Not improbable, at all, but, entirely practical. 😀

Enjoy your comparison/experimentation!

To update my previous post in this topic, I just took delivery of a pre-APO, pre-ASPH ‘Cron 50mm, though it is a 50-Jahre Special Edition, with an external appearance much like the “Rigid” generation of the Summicron, which I find more pleasing, ergonomically and aesthetically, than the currently marketed ‘Cron.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, danieldouloslee said:

I did the same. Sold the lux.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:16 AM, RexGig0 said:

Not improbable, at all, but, entirely practical. 😀

Enjoy your comparison/experimentation!

To update my previous post in this topic, I just took delivery of a pre-APO, pre-ASPH ‘Cron 50mm, though it is a 50-Jahre Special Edition, with an external appearance much like the “Rigid” generation of the Summicron, which I find more pleasing, ergonomically and aesthetically, than the currently marketed ‘Cron.

Nice move,

first class this Summicron 50 Jahre

only your next one may be the 1999 LTM Edition of the same optical cell to use with your next Barnack Leica 😉

I like them even if I'd like Leica had put in them more than 8 blades aperture...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for contributing to my kit. A lot of my kit has changed since June (I have dived head first into my GAS disease). Currently, I have the 28 Elmarit ASPH, 50 Summilux ASPH, 50 APO Summicron and the 90/2.5 Summarit.

I am only updating you all to add more flame to the 50 Summilux ASPH vs 50 APO debate, or should I say "debacle". Both are extremely fine lenses, with their own unique set of characters. After 1.5 months or so with both lenses, I think I can tell which is which now, and each have their purposes. But to humor us all, I have also embedded a couple images for you to decipher which one (I also "upgraded" my M body from the M-D262 to the M10).

I have also copied links to 2 Flickr albums for you to go through and see the different characteristics of the lenses.

50 APO Summicron: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGFJFWM

50 Summilux: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGFNpi4

I'd love to keep both, but one will go at the end of the month. Could you guess which one I am keeping? ;)

Edited by danieldouloslee

1 hour ago, danieldouloslee said:

I'd love to keep both, but one will go at the end of the month. Could you guess which one I am keeping? ;)

I guess the 50 Summilux, because I prefer the pictures in that album. But I am not quite sure it's because of the lens, or if it's just coincidence. There are too few pictures to see a clear connection.

• Like 1

@evikne, not revealing my cards yet but I appreciate your input! Perhaps I will share more photos when I have the chance. The APO is lacking "street photography" as I was a bit hesitant on walking around with it around my neck and accidentally dinging it. Per every ding, the lens resale price drops another lens ;)