I have GAS, and I need help with my Kit

danieldouloslee

Why don't you consider the 50 Summilux Asph?  It's optically at least 95% of the 50 Apo, and it's a stop faster. And it's usually less than half the price used,.

I've owned both, the 50 Apo is gone, but the 50 Summilux is the one I still own. I love this lens.

Think about it. If budget is not a consideration, then no matter. But, as with most of us, it is. And remember, priciest is not always the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danieldouloslee said:

Or would 24 be too wide? I may consider keeping the 35 Ultron (it's so tiny!) And feel like the 24 focal length would be different enough to keep both. 

Yeah so so. I was in Japan last month with 24 and 35 and not 28. I probably would have needed much less lens changes with just the 28. A tiny 35 along with it, which doesn’t bother you in your pocket and has a charming fingerprint .. why not.

Edited by otto.f

2 hours ago, OR120 said:

I'm breaking from all of you and suggesting (for Japan) a Leica 21mm and 35mm. Use two bodies, no lens changing, never miss a moment.

O both 21 and 35mm in one: Konica 21-35mm dual hexanon. One body, one lens. No lens change. Superb and simple. Works perfectly on my M10, not sure about M240.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

GAS can be attenuated to "almost zero"

Slim chance, GAS is GAS. It is a mental thing and has very little to do with the lens fleet you already own. If I see what OP has already collected and wants to sell, I’m almost sure he is only at the beginning of his exploration of M mountable lenses

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, danieldouloslee said:

I hate you all 😜 I just reached out about a potential 50APO as im seriously considering this 1 lens 1 camera setup a bit more. In this season of GAS, may the camera gods look upon me with favor (and be light on my wallet)!

What is your favourite focal length to shoot? My approach and suggestion is to spend the most on your favourite focal length, and less on the other focal lengths. 

If you think 28mm is the way to go then try it before your trip. I have tried and never bonded with a 28 and it didn't matter if it was in Tokyo, New York, Venice..... I think if you are not familiar or comfortable with a focal length, the place you are in doesn't make it suddenly more comfortable. I have been very happy with a 35 in any situation, city, countryside etc...... If I wanted an ultra wide, I pull out my seldom used 21 and if I really want some reach, my 90. 

So I spent most on my 35 - it's an FLE and 21 is a voigt 21/4 and 90/2.8 tele-elmarit -- this makes for a super light kit.

On some occasions I would reach for a 40 as a compromise between 35 and 50 -- Minolta 40/2 or Voigt 40/1.2 -- both superb AND not crazy expensive.

I suppose the last thing you want to do on a trip is to be second guessing yourself and thinking about changing focal lengths -- just shoot!!!!

47 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

😇

Daniel,

GAS can be attenuated to "almost zero" with Noctilux and/or Apo, in 50mm M world of course.

Some own the two, and some own and use only one Apo OR Noctilux.

Choose your camp 😉.

One

Two

Or some own the 50 Summilux Asph, and the f1 Noctilux, which are two very different, and yet complimentary, beasts. And go on a photographic holiday or two with what they've saved by not buying the Apo. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcraf said:

Why don't you consider the 50 Summilux Asph?  It's optically at least 95% of the 50 Apo, and it's a stop faster. And it's usually less than half the price used,.

I've owned both, the 50 Apo is gone, but the 50 Summilux is the one I still own. I love this lens.

Think about it. If budget is not a consideration, then no matter. But, as with most of us, it is. And remember, priciest is not always the best.

I rented the APO to understand all the fuss, but decided to keep my 50 Summilux ASPH instead... nothing to do with cost... I prefer the ergonomics and handling of the latter, renders beautifully,  and I get an extra stop to boot.  It wasn’t long ago that the Summilux was all the rage... the best fast 50 around.  Funny stuff, this GAS (and bragging rights).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Slim chance, GAS is GAS. It is a mental thing and has very little to do with the lens fleet you already own. If I see what OP has already collected and wants to sell, I’m almost sure he is only at the beginning of his exploration of M mountable lenses

This is very true. It's a mental thing (a disease I will happily never kick!). 

@g2van - 50mm is my current classic favorite (i've gone from 35 for sentimental reasons [fell in love with photography at that focal point], to the 28mm as I've trained my eye with the Q, and now going longer at 50mm). I do not think I'd kick a 50mm out of my system, ever–esp if I were to keep the lux ASPH (just got one, but currently having focusing issues, which more can be read here)

@a.noctilux - oh you've got me. I'd probably be an APO person over the noctilux. Solely because the I'd find it almost impossible to shoot at 0.95 (and the lens is massive!). But only can dream one day of owning one.. Perhaps this week ;) I just reached out to see if there is some flexibility on a second hand APO lens.

Does GAS stand for Gotta Add Something'! ~~ Or try Gas X -- My carry abouts M-P240 Safari 28 and 35mm Summicrons plus of course my veritable XVario..The world is big enough for everyone to choose & go their own way..L

6 minutes ago, danieldouloslee said:

@a.noctilux - oh you've got me. I'd probably be an APO person over the noctilux. Solely because the I'd find it almost impossible to shoot at 0.95 (and the lens is massive!). But only can dream one day of owning one.. Perhaps this week ;) I just reached out to see if there is some flexibility on a second hand APO lens.

@danieldouloslee: Noctilux f1 version 3 is lighter and smaller than 0.95 and maybe same price/less than 50 APO?

I don't see much on your feed that you couldn't do with a 35. 28 seems too wide, judging by your current content. And for street work a 2.5 or 2.8 is fine, so many choices, if you decide to move on from the Ulton. Maybe keep the 90 and be done with it.  

I like your Instagram as well, and it's good to see you stuck with the native aspect ratio and resisted the call of square.

John  

5 minutes ago, danieldouloslee said:

@lykaman - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :) I pray yours isn't as severe as my bouts with it! haha

Don't believe that for one moment,  at one time, 3 Leica Film Cameras, 5 Leica Digitals, a draw full of Leica Lenses and my 2018 Challenger SRT, Since my eye accident I've slowed down somewhat!! Now looking @ Hublot's etc... I understand "You Can't Take It With You"  L    As a side note, my wife lost her Amex card the other week, I didn't report it as whoever found it spends much less than her...🕺

• Haha 2

@lykaman - oy, I've been good with watches. Bought the JLC MUT39 in rose gold 5 years ago as my wedding present. Was eyeing the Stowa Flieger 36 earlier this month, but decided to pour more funds into my Leica gear--hence this thread. Cameras "spark (more) joy" to me all day, every day ;)

Fortunately (and also unfortunately), my wife is great with not spending. Doesn't do it, but it guilts me that she doesn't and makes me not purchase more. I try to buy her nice things, but she does not want it. So when I have instances of her okaying my GAS, i have to go all out and do it fast before she changes her mind!

Edited by danieldouloslee

2 minutes ago, danieldouloslee said:

@lykaman - oy, I've been good with watches. Bought the JLC MUT39 in rose gold 5 years ago as my wedding present. Was eyeing the Stowa Flieger 36 earlier this month, but decided to pour more funds into my Leica gear--hence this thread. Cameras "spark (more) joy" to me all day, every day ;)

Kindred spirits, we will leave a wealth of desirables behind ........L

G.A.S.

is worse (really ?) than smoking ...

for so many things enjoyable or less

I bet we would win someday or not ...

as a remind "...only to return to the addictive habit " in the end.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!