danieldouloslee

I have GAS, and I need help with my Kit

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope this post tickles your belly, and leads you thinking up late into the wee hours of the night; I never thought lenses will keep me up at night, but alas here I am. Earlier this month, I sold all my Sony gear, and am now looking to invest more into my Leica M system. Being an M shooter for 3 years now, I only had 1 Leica lens (the 90 Elmarit-M that I regrettably sold, and now have the 90 Hexanon). As I am looking to reenter into the foray of Leica M glass, I would really appreciate your expertise. 

Style of shooting: I shoot mostly street with my M6/M-D262, but as I am no longer with my Sony gear, will also be capturing moments shared with my wife and daughters. As my family and I will be spending a month in Japan in the fall, I am hoping to lock down my kit during the summer so I can get better acquainted with my gear. My street photographs can be found here: http://instagram.com/kkachi.iso/.

With that being said, these are the two current options that I am thinking:

Option A: 35/2 Ultron, 50 Summilux ASPH, 50 Planar, 90 Summicron E55 (non APO)

vs.

Option B: 35/2 Ultron, 40/1.2 Nokton, 50 Summicron v5,  90 Summicron E55 (non APO), and save myself ~$1,000

Option B looks most appealing currently as I would be able to have a 1.2 in my kit (I also regrettably just sold my Nokton 50/1.2 to fund the purchase of a second hand 50 Lux that needs some CLA and recalibration), and save $1,000. I could always repurpose the $1,000 to another lens–say, a second hand 28 Elmarit-M or a 75/2.5 Summarit. But might be too many glass at that point (blasphemy!). However, as I am mostly a 50 shooter, it would be nice to marry my body to a lens I doubt I'd ever sell (the 50 Lux after its costly repairs), unless most think it is not worth the additional cost for 1 stop of light, and a worse focus ring.

Your insights are greatly appreciated!

Best,

Daniel

Edited by Danieldouloslee

I like your Instagram feed!

I can not say what lens(es) you should buy, but I would suggest not getting too many at too close a focal length unless you are very clear in your own mind as to when and why you would pick one lens over another. 

Posted (edited)

I think you’ll need a 28 in Japan. Don’t know where your interests lie, but for modern architecture as well as for ancient temples or streets in Tokyo or Kyoto a 28 or 24 is rather inexpensable. I don‘t think that you’ll be happy with non-Leica lenses, this has already been proven, so skip the voigtlanders for now. You can always add them later. 

Nice photo’s on your site btw! Many photo’s show a particular way of looking and framing, you really have your own fingerprint. So in that sense: why would you listen to our advices?

Edited by otto.f

I agree with otto.f and his 28mm recommendation. I spent almost 30 years in Japan and all the time I used various M cameras, film and digital. My favorite lenses still are the Elmarit 2,8/28 (pre ASPH and ASPH), the Summicron 2/50 and for low light the Summilux 1,4/35. I keep more lenses (15, 18, 21, 90), but I rarely use them. Most of the photos taken in Japan and posted in the LUF are made with 28mm, it is for me the most versatile lens in Japan.

I like the style of your photos on your Instagram account. I think everybody here is more or less familairwith the GAS especially with lenses. Why don't you make your life and your (travel-, street-)photography much easier and use one lens (or maybe two). Of course you will find now many advices depending on the style of photography. But do not forget the compact 35mm Summicron or also the Summarit. Especially for street or on travels, it is a very good solution.

Posted (edited)

Danieldouloslee,  I second Otto.f's post #3.  You have a unique way of creating and capturing a moment in time with your photographs.  Many photographers will give you all kinds of advice on this site for lenses that in reality work best for them.  For instance, in my reality kit as I call it, I use a M246 with a 28 Summicron II, 50mm Summilux-Asph and 90mm Elmarit-M and a Leica Q2.  For my genre of "reality street photography", I like the way the lenses draw and most important, hopefully helps me create photographs that makes people stop, look, think and if possible feel something in that moment in time.  The latter being the most difficult IMO, aspect for a photograph to convey.  Again, IMO you have a unique way of conveying life in your photographs.  I can not offer any real advice for lenses as over the many decades of using Leica systems as each lens renders in a unique way.  Perhaps you might consider trying several lenses via Lens Rentals https://www.lensrentals.com and see what lenses work best for you.  Last, I like your photographs.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I third @otto.f ‘s post. I will also add that in my three trips to Japan (we are going again in November) the overwhelming majority of my photos have been with a 28 or 35. The remainder have been with a 50. I take two bodies and two lenses, now settled on 28 Elmarit M ASPH and 50 Summicron. 

Good luck. 

Ah GAS !

Too long time carrying too much gear, now I'm happy with smaller, lighter but smart results on film and digital.

I see that you use the two medias as me.

If it has some interest, I'd suggest if you don't have any "prefered lenses" yet for their consistency the Summarit-M lens line.

Those "cheap alternative Leica lenses" which I've discovered recently fill my GAS for now.

Mainly f/2.5 I found "cheap second hand" to try out on film and sensor.

The trigger is my M-D (typ 262) which is a bit heavy, so I purchased the lightest 28mm to make a combo not too heavy.

The first is Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm Asph. which replaced my bigger Summicron-M 28mm.

Then came the Summarit-M 2.5/50mm , 2.5/35mm, 2.5/75mm all second hand and as good as can be a kit.

My suggestion is to take what you need in those  to use with your film M and M-D (not really important, I appreciate for M-D in use the 6bits coding Summarit-M):

Elmarit-M 28mm asph. , Summarit-M 35-50-75 and why not 90mm that I plan to acquire later.

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone who indulged me with your thoughts. I forgot to mention that the Ultron 35 and Planar 50 are currently in my possession. I'll consider selling them both as possibly consider purchasing the 28 elmarit as well have the 50 Lux on my bag.

Additionally, hearing everyone's thoughts on 28 being a necessity, I didn't realize  that I lucked out having the Q with me on my most recent trip to Japan 4 years ago. It's now with a happy second user as I used those funds to jump into the M system

I'll give the summarit line some thought. I've heard mixed reviews on the rubber ring, and with my hexanon-m 90 in my current Collection,  it may have to wait. 

Edited by Danieldouloslee

Or would 24 be too wide? I may consider keeping the 35 Ultron (it's so tiny!) And feel like the 24 focal length would be different enough to keep both. 

I also support @otto.f ‘s post for a 28mm for your Japan trip (I have been there 5+ times), and you already have 90mm covered.

May I suggest you are looking at too many lenses at the same time.

After looking at your instagram, I couldn't stop thinking how a 50APO would have made those shots really sing.

I have current versions of 50 LUX ASPH and 35mm LUX ASPH ( both aka FLE ) lenses, which sit in my lens safe,

as the only lens that I now use is my 50APO.

Once you get the taste of what Peter Karbe produced with the 50APO,  it's hard to move away from it.  I recently had 5 weeks in Alaska and Canada with only my 50APO on my M240 (and a Hasselblad Stellar) with no regrets.

Like others who replied earlier, I have been to Japan multiple times and the Elmarit 28 was my mostly used lens.

57 minutes ago, Danieldouloslee said:

Or would 24 be too wide? I may consider keeping the 35 Ultron (it's so tiny!) And feel like the 24 focal length would be different enough to keep both. 

If you keep the 35mm, a 21mm would complement better than a 28mm or 24mm.

@dugby, you sound like my good friend...is it you?! haha ;) oh geez, I'd love to afford a 50APO. I did the numbers, it may be possible if I:

SELL EVERYTHING

hahaha. But in all honesty, it's not far from the realm of possibility. Ideally if I could sell my 35 ultron and 50 planar, and my film M, then it's possible to get a second hand APO. Perhaps a longer game plan. Let me see if I can work some magic ;) 

I'm breaking from all of you and suggesting (for Japan) a Leica 21mm and 35mm. Use two bodies, no lens changing, never miss a moment.

Posted (edited)

@Daniel

Take just and only one lens.... Voigtländer Nokton 1.2/35mm. Thats it. And make the best with it.you have to learn!

And a second camera as backup. A filmcamera......! Medium Format. Thats it.

Daniel

PS: Don‘t buy a apo or leice lens. To expensive and you do not make one better picture.

Edited by analog-digital

12 minutes ago, analog-digital said:

PS: Don‘t buy a apo or leice lens. To expensive and you do not make one better picture.

Pffft.  Whatever.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Pffft?

It's the closest I could get to blowing breath through my closed lips so that they vibrate and produce a sound that indicates disapproval. 😎

Pete.