a mini-digital SWC ... Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Marac said:

I just ordered this lens today from Ivor

I pulled my CL from eBay and decided not to sell it

I will also be using it on the S1r

I sold my 11-23, it was a great lens but not FF, I can go crazy wide with the 10mm on FF or go SWC wide on the CL.

Excited. :)

That’s My philosophy with this go at APS-C (my last was a TL2 with many of the TL lenses) - all FF lenses. Much more flexible, and there are rumors of a small-ish FF L-Mount camera coming from Panasonic...

Edited by oldwino

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started to get the feel of the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 on my CL, it was difficult at first because of being used to auto focus on my Nikon, and the Nikon adapter doesn't have specific f stops, just little circles with an increasing thickness. I know when I am wide open but can onlt guesstimate from there. But at its focal lengths it isn't too hard.

27 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have started to get the feel of the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 on my CL, it was difficult at first because of being used to auto focus on my Nikon, and the Nikon adapter doesn't have specific f stops, just little circles with an increasing thickness. I know when I am wide open but can onlt guesstimate from there. But at its focal lengths it isn't too hard.

I've not had much luck with that lens on my CL. Just haven't liked what it's produced and eventually got a nice used TL 11-23. 

58 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Yes as I said there are negatives, I am also thinking that the TL 11-23 is on my list, but other things have come first.

+1. The 11-23 is a very fine lens, but I discovered that I don't use it very often, even though I'm mostly a "wide" photographer. I guess maybe I'm a fixed wide, rather than a zoom wide. I shoot almost exclusively 35mm on my M4-P.

• Like 1

TL 11-23 is a fine lens. But I never bonded with it.  I don’t know why. I sold it without regret. I rather use the Q2 at 28mm as my widest, than using TL 11-23 at any of its focal length. And I am also a fan of very wide angle.

I think that it lacks of character. Maybe due to its small aperture ? Or how its distortion correction is handle. There is something weird with it, but I cannot tell you exactly what. 🧐🤔

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 Shots today with the 10mm, the colour shot is from my S1R and the Infrared shot is from my Leica T (so 1.5x crop =15mm eq.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I've got to find time to take my 10mm out for a walk fitted to the Hasselblad 907x. Cropped to square (and past the vignetting caused by its stubby lens shade teeth), it goes well beyond the 'ultra wide' posed by a Hassy SWC with approximately 125° of coverage on the diagonal of that crop, and remarkable detail retention even into the corners.

Some time soon ... I'm recovering from shoulder surgery right now and can barely pick up a camera for the moment. Sigh.

G

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ramarren said:

I've got to find time to take my 10mm out for a walk fitted to the Hasselblad 907x. Cropped to square (and past the vignetting caused by its stubby lens shade teeth), it goes well beyond the 'ultra wide' posed by a Hassy SWC with approximately 125° of coverage on the diagonal of that crop, and remarkable detail retention even into the corners.

Some time soon ... I'm recovering from shoulder surgery right now and can barely pick up a camera for the moment. Sigh.

G

Feel better soon!

5 hours ago, bags27 said:

Feel better soon!

Thanks! It's just the waiting game at this point, waiting for all the tissues to knit back up nicely. I ruptured the bicep proxima tendon, a pretty common problem in old guys like me who refuse to act old. :) Doctor fixed it well, fixed some old damage at the rotator cuff once in there, so now it's a few weeks rest to let it all heal properly. It's an annoyance mostly. 

G

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, Kyros Moutsouris said:
  On 4/12/2020 at 1:37 AM, kengai said:

does it require the L-M ring and the Voigtlander with an M attachment?

On 6/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, Kyros Moutsouris said:

Leica CL digital has L-mount, so to attach the Voigtlander 10mm/f5.6 -that comes in Leica M-Mount- you will need an L-M adaptor.

Well, if the question was specific to the Voigtländer 10mm, yes. I use the Voigtländer 10mm M-mount lens on the Leica M Adapter L mount adapter with the Leica CL.

I configure the lens profile as "Unknown" since I haven't found a lens profile that does a good job with it in the CL's library. Adobe Lightroom Classic includes a lens profile for the 10mm that seems to work pretty well, so I apply that during image processing and judge whether the results are good there. Mostly, though, it doesn't need much correction; it's a very good performer just as it is, particularly on APS-C format. 

G

• Like 1

I have sort of taken this asa challenge, I don'thave the 10mm but do have the 11-23, so went out yesterday on a familiar walk at 11mm, looked at this knarly crab apple, which I photograph often through the seasons, its shadow on the snow is great, but here it is after loosing its leaves this fall. 

Hopethe shoulder feels better soon.

CL 11-23 at 11mm

On 10/15/2021 at 4:53 AM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have sort of taken this asa challenge, I don'thave the 10mm but do have the 11-23, so went out yesterday on a familiar walk at 11mm, looked at this knarly crab apple, which I photograph often through the seasons, its shadow on the snow is great, but here it is after loosing its leaves this fall. 

Hopethe shoulder feels better soon.

CL 11-23 at 11mm

My shoulder is fine now, thank you; that was a year and a half ago. :D

Nice ... Typical issue of subject separation between fore- and back-ground though. It's hard in some scenes to get the primary subject from entangling with the background. A lower angle approach might have done a little better for this tree.

G

Edited by ramarren

• 1 year later...

Godfrey, You turned me on to the SWC 20 years ago and since then I have travelled with it for street photography along side my Rolleiflex. And now I got my digital SWC once again thanks to you. I picked up the Voigtlander 15mm and the made for Hasselblad 6x6 finder and you are correct the coverage is exactly the same cropped to a square. Here are few from the M10M cropped to square after straightening some lines. It’s hard to hold the camera completely level. 

• Like 2

• Like 2

Excellent!  Nice to see the M10M doing the business as digital SWC!

I haven't done much with it this way because I have the CV10mm at present, and it's actually too wide on FF to do SWC type simulation (unless I crop to a smaller centered square ...). I suppose I'll have to get a 15mm lens for it. :)

G

• Like 1