a mini-digital SWC ... Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am so enjoying this lens! 

Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6
ISO 3200 @ f/8 @ 1/80

It performs beyond my expectations, and I love the feel of these ultra-wide squares so much. 

• Like 8

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have the b2 15mm Voigtländer I used to use on film,  although its not much use on digital full frame, for aps-c I have the 9mm Laowa, very nice and virtually distortion free, if they make a mount you can get onto a CL it would be worth a try.  Lots of light fall off at 2.8 but easily correctible by 5.6 or 8.

Gerry 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, ramarren said:

Answering the question, "What's the first thing I did after opening the Voigtländer 10mm box...?" 

I am going to have to argue with that..... first, you obviously cleaned down the kitchen worktops, no way mine would ever look that clear!  Nice one.   Looks like you are having fun.

Edited by Boojay

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

I am going to have to argue with that..... first, you obviously cleaned down the kitchen worktops, no way mine would ever look that clear!  Nice one.   Looks like you are having fun.

Thanks! I am having fun

LOL! But no: I always clean the kitchen after I've used it. And my desk as well. I can't think clearly when there's clutter about my work area. :) 

• Like 1

Here are a few more photos, all of them with the Leica CL and Voigtländer Hyper-Wide 10mm. Some are more heavily processed than my usual. :D

From last Sunday's cycle ride around and in San Jose, it was Father's Day and the restaurant next door to the cafe I stopped at was hosting a private family party. A few minutes after I sat down with my snack/lunch, the party broke and a huge wave of folks spilled onto the sidewalk...

One of the musicians from the party pulled his rental scooter over and sat down to rest a moment. I guess he was tuckered out by the party. 

I was having a grand day's ride and pushing ... realized I hadn't eaten since an early breakfast and needed some calories ... so a quick cafe snack for lunch. 

Next stop on my ride was Japan Town. I wanted to make a photograph of the memorial there to see how the ultrawide lens would work, but I couldn't help a little beauty shot of my bicycle parked on the corner. 

Now this next is really what I stopped for: I've often tried to get a good photograph of the memorial but it's difficult because the ideal place to stand is right in the middle of a busy intersection. The ultrawide lens allowed me to be closer and still capture the whole thing, albeit not with my usual square crop but with the full format, then crop to a long 16:9 proportion. I decided a diptych was the right way to present it, showing the small but critical element: "February 19, 1942" ...the date of Executive Order 9066, which gave the U.S. Army  the authority to remove civilians from the military zones established in Washington, Oregon, and California during WWII. 

Borrowing from https://jacl.org/events/day-of-remembrance/

... This Executive Order led to the forced removal and incarceration of some 120,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast, who had to abandon their jobs, their homes, and their lives to be sent to one of ten concentration camps scattered in desolate, remote regions of the country.

No Japanese Americans were ever charged, much less convicted, of espionage or sabotage against the United States. Yet they were targeted, rounded up, and imprisoned for years, simply for having the "face of the enemy."

Every February, the Japanese American community commemorates Executive Order 9066 as a reminder of the impact the incarceration experience has had on our families, our community, and our country. It is an opportunity to educate others on the fragility of civil liberties in times of crisis, and the importance of remaining vigilant in protecting the rights and freedoms of all.

This has some personal significance to me: One of my good friends from college days spent some twenty-plus years of her life working with the effort to obtain some compensation and restitution for the losses of her mother and father, and the whole Japanese-American community by extension, which were only finalized a little over a decade ago, half a century later. 

Whenever I ride through Japan Town and see the memorial standing there in its mute testimony, I think of her and of what it stands for.

Onwards...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really love square photos, and square photos made with the field of view of an ultra wide lens just hit the numbers for me. That's not to say that it is easy ... It always takes a bit of time for my to calibrate my mind to seeing with such a wide field of view. 

I carried the camera on yesterday's cycle ride to lunch at Roy's Station Cafe in Japan Town and became inspired when I got there to play with some hand-held still life photos...

All taken with Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6.

Enjoy! 
G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are on a roll my friend! Here's another "mini digital SWC". This time with the Leica T and the 11-23mm set at 11mm. Cheers, jc

Union Station, St. Paul, MN

• Like 6

I'm a HUGE fan of this lens on my CL. Though my style is very different to yours I love your shots and the way you are using it.

I also admit to having just this morning snaffled up a bargain Sony A7r ii so that I can mount the 10mm on a full frame camera and get the glorious 130 degree angle of view.

Edited by Dippy
  • Like 2

Very nice, jkcampbell2! 

More photos using the "mini digital Hasselblad SWC" aka the Leica CL plus Voigtländer 10mm lens... These were taken while I was riding on two different bicycle rides last week. Focusing on trees along the paths. 

All: Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, f/8 aperture setting

What's truly great about this setup is how small and light it is. It fits with tons of room to spare in the Wotancraft Mini Rider and is extremely handy for carrying with me on my bicycle rides. The camera and lens together with the half case weighs 1 lb, 4 ounces. 

Another thing I'm pretty delighted with is that all of the photos I've shown so far were made hand-held, and they're very sharp with lovely texture and tonal scale. I know that once I go out for a session and use a tripod too they'll be even better quality!

enjoy! 

• Like 5

On 6/27/2019 at 6:43 PM, jkcampbell2 said:

You are on a roll my friend! Here's another "mini digital SWC". This time with the Leica T and the 11-23mm set at 11mm. Cheers, jc

Union Station, St. Paul, MN

Great to see recognition of the TL 11-23 alongside the 10mm, and also square photographs which I tend towards if composition allows.  To my mind they seem to promote economic composition and balance.

Not sure if I’ve done my sums correctly but weight and length wise these lenses are pretty close.

10mm 68mm Ø, 59mm length, 312g +ML adapter 61mm Ø, 13mm length, 70g

11-23mm 77mm Ø, 73mm length, 368g

It’s the 11-23 diameter that suffers!

Edited by mdroe
  • Like 2

Since I own no TL or SL series lenses, the M Adapter L is always on the camera for me. I consider it part of the camera, not the lens. :D

This is one of the four exposures I made on today's cycle ride... Three of the four came out great, one came out okay.. 

Always Another Cafe Stop on the Ride
Caffe Frascati, San Jose 2019
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

enjoy!

• Like 2

From yesterday's cycling in Guadalupe River Park: 

I really really like this lens. :D

• Like 6

My bicycle ride today brought me right up past this little thing: 

ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/160

It's a monstrosity, but eh? It's only obnoxious when they close the trail during events. 

enjoy!
G

From one of my downtown cafe stops last week... 

ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/15

enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave in Wales said:

Clarification please.......what would be the difference in FOV between this V-10mm and my TL18-56mm at the 18mm end, comparative examples would be absolutely great.

TIA

Easy:

Presuming the marked 18mm on your TL18-56 is the same as the marked 18mm on my Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH ... 

FULL APS-C AOV ANALYSIS
Width = 15.7 mm, Length = 23.7 mm, Diagonal = 28.4285 mm
f - Hor -  Vert - Diag
10mm -  99.7° -  76.3° - 109.7°
18mm -  66.7° -  47.1° -  76.6°

10mm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18mm:
'

SQUARE APS-C AOV ANALYSIS
Width = 15.7 mm, Length = 15.7 mm, Diagonal = 22.2032 mm
f - Hor -  Vert - Diag
10mm -  76.2° -  76.3° -  96.0°
18mm -  47.1° -  47.1° -  63.3°

10mm:

18mm: 

All exposures with Leica CL, tripod mounted, ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/4 second. Focus distance set to 5.5 foot (distance from camera back to helmet on bicycle seat). Converted in LR 6.14 at the defaults (no settings changes at all aside from the crop for the squares) and output to JPEG at 1600 pixels on the long edge.

As you can see, the difference in Field of View (H x V AoV combined) is quite marked, and the difference between square and 2:3 format framing also feels quite different. Hope that helps... :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

Another fabulous structure is the parking garage at San Jose International Airport. The Guadalupe River Trail runs right next to it: I stopped to take this shot on Sunday while out on my bicycle ride.

Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/200

Enjoy! 
G

• Like 6

13 hours ago, ramarren said:

Easy:

Presuming the marked 18mm on your TL18-56 is the same as the marked 18mm on my Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH ... 

FULL APS-C AOV ANALYSIS
Width = 15.7 mm, Length = 23.7 mm, Diagonal = 28.4285 mm
f - Hor -  Vert - Diag
10mm -  99.7° -  76.3° - 109.7°
18mm -  66.7° -  47.1° -  76.6°

10mm:

18mm:
'

SQUARE APS-C AOV ANALYSIS
Width = 15.7 mm, Length = 15.7 mm, Diagonal = 22.2032 mm
f - Hor -  Vert - Diag
10mm -  76.2° -  76.3° -  96.0°
18mm -  47.1° -  47.1° -  63.3°

10mm:

18mm: 

All exposures with Leica CL, tripod mounted, ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/4 second. Focus distance set to 5.5 foot (distance from camera back to helmet on bicycle seat). Converted in LR 6.14 at the defaults (no settings changes at all aside from the crop for the squares) and output to JPEG at 1600 pixels on the long edge.

As you can see, the difference in Field of View (H x V AoV combined) is quite marked, and the difference between square and 2:3 format framing also feels quite different. Hope that helps... :D

Very many thanks, most informative.

However, your Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH is FF and not APS-C as is my TL18-56, will this make any difference?

I must admit I'm most unsure of my ground here.

Also what CL camera features does one sacrifice when using the V-10? AF obviously, but are there any others?

As an aside, I must say that I'm most impressed with the quality of your mono work, is there a 'simple' secret, that you'd like to share?

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by Dave in Wales

8 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Very many thanks, most informative.

However, your Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH is FF and not APS-C as is my TL18-56, will this make any difference?

I must admit I'm most unsure of my ground here.

Also what CL camera features does one sacrifice when using the V-10? AF obviously, but are there any others?

As an aside, I must say that I'm most impressed with the quality of your mono work, is there a 'simple' secret, that you'd like to share?

Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for the compliment.

There's no secret sauce that's simple. Good B&W work is a matter of understanding the recording medium, an exposure, and how to render it. I experiment with my camera and lens a lot so as to understand the sensor and what I can get out of them. On exposure, well, the experience lent by 50 plus years of shooting B&W inform me as to what I want in my exposure, and what I want to lose. Regards rendering, I have a set of rather pathological presets for Lightroom that I made to push exposures in extreme different directions ... I usually know which one is going to work for a given scene, but I often try one or two of them as experiments. They let me see what's there and how to go.. Once I choose one as a base, I tweak it until I get what I want ... and if I can't get what I want, I either start over or just stop (and maybe return at a later time). 

An 18mm focal length is the same regardless of the format the lens will cover. Both the lenses I used are designed to cover a FF format, which means they cover APS-C easily since its a smaller format, but their focal lengths are the same as any lens made with the same focal length. Your TL lens is designed to cover APS-C so if you could use it on FF format the corner and edge performance might degrade a bit. But if it's truly an 18mm focal length at the set marking, it will have the exact same FoV as the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm at the same focal length. :)

Using the V10 on the CL is like using any other M-mount adapted lens: exposure modes are limited to Manual and Aperture priority AE, and you must focus the lens manually. You set aperture and focus on the lens using the lens' controls. (Of course, the DoF of a 10mm lens is so great that I normally just set f/8 and about 10 feet on the scale, and forget about it.) With such a short focal length, camera stability is critical for good sharpness so I push to keep the exposure time short:  1/100 second or less. A tripod is a big gain in sharpness with these short lenses but I've been concentrating on hand-held work ... I used a tripod for these example photos and set focus  based upon the easily measured distance from the bicycle helmet to the camera.

• Like 1