jc1

How to control Exposure Manually with Adapted lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I have got a pre-owned CL for a couple of days. Last night I wanted to take a picture of the moon (hand held) but could not figure out how to manually control the exposure. The problem is that with adapted lens the exposure mode is always default to Aperture Priority. 

After a sleepless night, I found a solution this morning.

There are 2 parameters in the Auto ISO Settings, namely, Maximum ISO and Min. Shutter Speed.
For continence's sake, I added Auto ISO Settings into Fn Button.  By varying the above two parameters, I can thus fully control ISO, Shutter Speed in Aperture Priority mode. 

I shall try it tonight.

You may have a different way, do enlighten us.

Thank you.

It appears quite logical to me that the exposure defaults to Aperture priority, as the camera cannot operate the diaphragm on an adapted lens. One way you can easily control the exposure is to use the exposure compensation wheel. Or set the camera to full manual (Left wheel centre button), you will see the mode change with the little orange symbol in the left hand lower corner of the EVF/LCD.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, frame-it said:

no manual mode with the adapted lens ???

My lens is adapted with Leica M-adapter T.

I found something odd now. The Left setting wheel Button can no longer select desired P-A-S-M even when I changed to a TL lens.
In all cases, when the Left setting wheel Button is depressed ( short press or long press), it only toggles between "locked" or "unlocked"
Everything is in order before I tried with adapted lens. This set is only 3-month old. 

Not sure if a Factor Reset (Reset Camera function) would help.

Any suggestion?

Edited by jc1

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It appears quite logical to me that the exposure defaults to Aperture priority, as the camera cannot operate the diaphragm on an adapted lens. One way you can easily control the exposure is to use the exposure compensation wheel. Or set the camera to full manual (Left wheel centre button), you will see the mode change with the little orange symbol in the left hand lower corner of the EVF/LCD.

Thanks for your pointer.

I did try with Exposure Compensation. But I must be able to control the shutter speed as I hand hold the camera.

Now the Left setting wheel Button does not allow me to set to desired modes. Note sure if this is due to some parameters are set inappropriately. 

48 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Thanks for your pointer.

I did try with Exposure Compensation. But I must be able to control the shutter speed as I hand hold the camera.

Now the Left setting wheel Button does not allow me to set to desired modes. Note sure if this is due to some parameters are set inappropriately. 

Reset the camera to factory settings or use the default profile. If you fit a manual lens and switch off auto-iso the EV comp controls the shutter speed.

33 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Reset the camera to factory settings or use the default profile. If you fit a manual lens and switch off auto-iso the EV comp controls the shutter speed.

Earlier on I tried to re-load user profile (all 6 of them),  Left setting wheel Button still refused to function correctly.

After camera default profile is loaded, yes, it is back to normal.
Then I switched to User 1 profile, Left setting wheel Button works correctly and now all exposure modes are selectable.

I did not remedy with a  Reset Camera function.

I shall Try with a adapted lens later.

Thanks

So start with the default profile and create and save your own favorite ones, overwriting the old ones. 

I run mine on manual most of the time, with an adapted lens it is kind of working with aperture priority, as you decide what aperture you want then work with shutter speed. I have my shutter speed on the right wheel, easy to set. Have done this with adapted lenses and my L mount 7 Artisans 55 f1.4 which is a manual lens.

Ever tried auto iso in manual mode? You keep full manual control of apertures (on adapted lenses) and shutter speeds (with top dial) and isos adjust automatically. Best invention since sliced bread ;).

Thanks all.

The problem seems to go away with adapted lens now. I can also toggle between A and M modes with non-TL lens.
With full manual exposure mode, ISO100 1/250 sec and f11 should be a good starting point for capturing the moon shot.

Keep your shutter speed high, that moon is travelling pretty fast ;) Enjoy