Strap lugs, just sayin'

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have on good information that there will be a strap lug shortage for old film Ms.  Leica stopped making them and supplying replacement parts.

Contrary to what some might think, these things do come loose from time to time.... 😳

3 hours ago, A miller said:

I have on good information that there will be a strap lug shortage for old film Ms.  Leica stopped making them and supplying replacement parts.

Contrary to what some might think, these things do come loose from time to time.... 😳

Are you talking about the early M3s? As far as I can see (and I haven't taken any apart) the other lugs are the same as all current Ms, film or digital.

8 hours ago, Matlock said:

Are you talking about the early M3s? As far as I can see (and I haven't taken any apart) the other lugs are the same as all current Ms, film or digital.

My M3 is a later model, well over 1M on the serial number.

Some statements from my Leica technician:

"In recent years Leica discontinued many classic M parts, gave some to third party to make, a lot parts no longer available.  They told me that they will concentrate on new digital production, no longer go back."

"Leica now has quality problem with new strap lugs.  Leica contracted a lot older parts production to third party today, caused quality problem on some parts.  The new lugs from Leica are not usable at all.  I already discontinued new strap lugs replacement service for a while due to this."

😭

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, A miller said:

My M3 is a later model, well over 1M on the serial number.

Some statements from my Leica technician:

"In recent years Leica discontinued many classic M parts, gave some to third party to make, a lot parts no longer available.  They told me that they will concentrate on new digital production, no longer go back."

"Leica now has quality problem with new strap lugs.  Leica contracted a lot older parts production to third party today, caused quality problem on some parts.  The new lugs from Leica are not usable at all.  I already discontinued new strap lugs replacement service for a while due to this."

😭

If I saw a statement like that from my technician  I would be a little suspicious. Also I have never known anyone with problems with Leica lugs. Maybe someone else can throw some light on this.

The lugs can wear very thin over a long time of heavy use. I had them replaced on my 111g when it was serviced and new ones can be installed where none existed, eg on a 1 or 11.

digital camera users are unlikely to ever need new ones as their computer cameras will be on the scrap heap long before the lugs wear through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

The lugs can wear very thin over a long time of heavy use. I had them replaced on my 111g when it was serviced and new ones can be installed where none existed, eg on a 1 or 11.

digital camera users are unlikely to ever need new ones as their computer cameras will be on the scrap heap long before the lugs wear through.

Yes I have heard of lugs wearing thin (but my IIIg lugs are fine) but I don't recall any coming loose. I just don't understand the OP as the current lugs are the same component as previous Ms. The fact that they are outsourced is irrelevant as most small components are these days and they must meet a certain standard. It sound a little like scare mongering to me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Me a scaremonger?? 🤨

I am just a guys who lost his lugs and had a butch of a time getting them re-installed.  

I am happy for anyone with actual useable insights on this topic to chime in and set all of our nerves at ease.  

Until then, perhaps we will all be a little on edge and treating our old Ms with a bit more tender loving care...

All I can say is that my technician is not able to get lugs from Leica.  If anyone hears of others that are still getting slugs from Leica, it would be worth sharing that here.

Otherwise, it seems that technicians will source the lugs in the secondary market through purchases of scrap bodies, leaving some technicians with more lugs than others.

My technician is lug-light.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, logan2z said:

That's what I thought. He CLAd my M4 a few months back and, while the lugs didn't need replacing, he seemed willing/able to do it then. Maybe this is a new development. 

He also replaced my lugs a few years  ago - the same ones that came loose (or at least one came loose and caused a light leak).  I just dealt with him and he chose to tighten back the one that came loose rather than replace the set.  Perhaps this was sufficient and he is saving his precious stock for the "must replace" situations.  

I do see him very active on Ebay buying up scraps, so to me this is not a comforting development....

Edited by A miller
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, A miller said:

All I can say is that my technician is not able to get lugs from Leica.  If anyone hears of others that are still getting slugs from Leica, it would be worth sharing that here.

Otherwise, it seems that technicians will source the lugs in the secondary market through purchases of scrap bodies, leaving some technicians with more lugs than others.

My technician is lug-light.

When my 50 Summilux ASPH needed service for sticky focus action, Leica NJ lacked the wherewithal, and the supplies, to fix it.  DAG used his stockpile of Leitz grease to make it buttery smooth.  Just sayin’.

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

When my 50 Summilux ASPH needed service for sticky focus action, Leica NJ lacked the wherewithal, and the supplies, to fix it.  DAG used his stockpile of Leitz grease to make it buttery smooth.  Just sayin’.

Jeff

so it may come down to who has stockpiled more parts from the secondary market.  And then those parts will eventually dry up... Just sayin'

So has anyone established that the lugs on the old Ms are in any way different than the ones on the current M-A/MP - other than the materials used to make them?  if not then I have to assume the lugs are still available since the M-A/MP are still in production.  Or am I missing something obvious?

Just now, logan2z said:

So has anyone established that the lugs on the old Ms are in any way different than the ones on the current M-A/MP - other than the materials used to make them?  if not then I have to assume the lugs are still available since the M-A/MP are still in production.  Or am I missing something obvious?

I asked Youxin that question and he said they were different.

Well,  his business hasn’t been called DAG Camera Parts for nothing, sourcing parts and accessories for the last 35 years.  And fixing stuff even when parts are no longer around... like his dad before him.  I’d be more worried if he retired.

Jeff

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A miller said:

I asked Youxin that question and he said they were different.

They're 'different' but are they in some way incompatible with the old cameras?  The email from Youxin that  you posted implied that the lugs were still being manufactured but that Youxin thought they were of poor quality.  I'm not really sure what that means.  It seems like a pretty simple part to get so wrong but what do I know. 

Edited by logan2z