Touch screen on CL and spot metering

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a very new CL owner with a large Fuji X collection.  I purchased the CL for the glass but must say I am finding the learning curve steep and the manual difficult.  I have read many good reviews for the camera so am prepared to give it a go and hopefully learn to love it as others seem to.  If I do not it will be an expensive experiment.

I am unable to get any sense out of the touch screen trying the various swipes. Is it a facility that needs to be turned on or is always live?  I realise that the focus and focus/shutter need to be selected but wonder about the swipe function.  

Also, using spot metering I can not see anything on the screen or EVF showing the metering area.  Is this a turn on/off feature. Trying to spot meter a statue up sun the spot metering did not seem to be working and I wondered how big the spot is?

I have joined this forum for help so you may be hearing more from me until I am on top of the beast.

To tell you the truth, I have not had much success with the touch screen and the various swipes or other motions. I did not think I would use it when I bought the camera. So it is not an issue with me. 

I Believe the metering point is the same as the focus point. in the EVF. If it is not appearing, try pressing the center button on the controller on the back of the camera. That will cause the display to change the amount of information shown on the screen.

Once you get use to the camera, you will thoroughly enjoy it (I hope). It took me a while to adjust from my Nikon's controls. But I have been happy with it.

9 hours ago, XMan said:

I am a very new CL owner with a large Fuji X collection.  I purchased the CL for the glass but must say I am finding the learning curve steep and the manual difficult.  I have read many good reviews for the camera so am prepared to give it a go and hopefully learn to love it as others seem to.  If I do not it will be an expensive experiment.

I am unable to get any sense out of the touch screen trying the various swipes. Is it a facility that needs to be turned on or is always live?  I realise that the focus and focus/shutter need to be selected but wonder about the swipe function.  

Also, using spot metering I can not see anything on the screen or EVF showing the metering area.  Is this a turn on/off feature. Trying to spot meter a statue up sun the spot metering did not seem to be working and I wondered how big the spot is?

I have joined this forum for help so you may be hearing more from me until I am on top of the beast.

Just don't use the touch screen, except for the double-tap to centre the focus spot. As far as I am concerned it is mainly there for marketing reasons, it is not needed to operate the camera. The spot metering is a little cross and very precise.

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Just don't use the touch screen, except for the double-tap to centre the focus spot. As far as I am concerned it is mainly there for marketing reasons, it is not needed to operate the camera. The spot metering is a little cross and very precise.

Thanks, that is good advice.  Put it in the same basket as all the scene modes which photographers who understand the basics do not need except in an emergency.  One thing that attracted me to the camera was the simplicity and I should keep it that way.  Thanks for info about the cross, I thought it was just marking the centre of the screen.

4 hours ago, JayBird said:

To tell you the truth, I have not had much success with the touch screen and the various swipes or other motions. I did not think I would use it when I bought the camera. So it is not an issue with me. 

I Believe the metering point is the same as the focus point. in the EVF. If it is not appearing, try pressing the center button on the controller on the back of the camera. That will cause the display to change the amount of information shown on the screen.

Once you get use to the camera, you will thoroughly enjoy it (I hope). It took me a while to adjust from my Nikon's controls. But I have been happy with it.

Thank you for this.  Yes unless it is 100% reliable I don't think I should get into the touch function other than occasionally for focus point.  I'll try your centre button suggestion.  Thanks also for your positive and encouraging last sentence.  I think once I understand the camera instinctively and use it a bit I will be very happy with it.  I certainly love the two lenses I have which have no distortion meaning straight horizons without LR assistance.   (11 - 23mm, 18 - 56mm).  I am however disappointed in reports in this forum of the fragility of these lenses with plastic internals.  Not what I expected when I made the very expensive Leica decision.  I have dropped only two cameras in my 70 years of photography and with the wrist straps I now use I don't expect that to happen again - touch wood.

Don't worry too much. I use the 18-56 often and I don't baby my cameras. It is a pretty robust lens. Obviously any lens can be damaged by excessive impact, but that is as much true for the most expensive M lens as for the quite affordable (in Leica terms ;) ) TL lenses. Fragile doesn't come into it IMO.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, jaapv said:

The spot metering is a little cross and very precise.

Hi, Jaap,

I don't use the touch screen. But following your comment about the spot for spot metering I don't get any indication of where the metering spot is if I select spot metering in normal Field AF focussing. It doesn't show up with manual focussing either. The only time I can get the little cross is if I select Spot Focussing instead of Field Focussing. It would indeed be very helpful to have an indication of the metering spot, especially if I'm using a manual focus lens, but my camera doesn't show it. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help,

Tim

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

The CL doesn't allow separating metering from focussing. 

Thanks.  Nice to know.  Probably why the + dose not appear in the focus square on my camera when moved from the middle of the screen.

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

The CL doesn't allow separating metering from focussing. 

Thanks for the reply Jaap.

It doesn’t quite answer my query, however. I’m not trying to separate metering from focussing, if I understand correctly what you mean by that. In fact I never feel the need to move the focussing point from the centre. I am happy to focus and re-frame if necessary.

My query is about the visual display of spot metering. Are you saying that the metered spot is always in the centre of whatever AF field is used? But what then about manual focussing? Where is the metering spot then? There is no indication - the little cross only appears in AF spot mode.

I can select spot metering in any focussing mode. Good. But if would be useful to have an indication of what exactly is being metered when I use spot metering, especially when using my M lenses.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tim

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

According to the manual, there should be a little circle in the centre of the screen. I cannot discern it, however.

Our simple little camera is becoming a little more complicated.  I cannot see the circle you refer to either.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

According to the manual, there should be a little circle in the centre of the screen. I cannot discern it, however.

59 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It is the ultimate of Leica philosophy: the Holy Grail of User Interface Simplicity are invisible screen markings...:rolleyes:

And a touch screen you don’t have to touch: objects on the screen move without you even having to think about it...Leica Artificial Intelligence.

• Haha 2