From the Piccolo Lagazuoi, Dolomites

Vieri

Sorry, this is not made by luck, but by knowledge, experience,  patience and probably also willing to face circumstances (but maybe I’m too serious here).

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/15/2019 at 11:56 PM, North / Northwest said:

You're a lucky guy to get this image. The lighting is amazing.

Yes, the light was great! More than luck, however, I'd say preparation and persistence, and making the right call at the right time. I.e., on that day staying lower in the valley you were completely shrouded in clouds, very little visibility. I looked at the shape and type of clouds and at their movement, and I thought it would be a good call to go (again!) up the Lagazuoi, and see if I could make something out of the clouds parting and forming again - and I could. I often find that people enjoy photos online thinking that it's just luck, and not putting the work in, that makes the difference between a good photo and a bad one, or between professional photographers producing consistently high quality results and the rest (I am speaking in general of course, not about me). People think that we are incredibly lucky: we just go somewhere, take a great shot and go home, while amateurs and holiday makers just are doomed by bad luck and never find the great sky, their photos don't post-process as well as professionals', they need a better camera, better lenses, and so on. The truth behind a great photo is not just in the photo you see, that's just like the tip of the iceberg. Like the submerged part of an iceberg, the truth behind a great photo is in the dozens of trip that end with perhaps an OK photo but without a truly great image, without "portfolio keepers" so to speak. These trips and those photos are the things people don't know about, but the things that are fundamental in creating good work. There often is a huge investment of time, research, money and energy behind one single successful photo. There always is a huge investment of time, study and work behind the post-processing of a great photo. Behind a great print. Behind marketing it. And so on. Luck, of course, has a part in it as it has with any human endeavour: relying just of luck to do photography, however, like with an other human endeavour, will never end well I am afraid :) 

On 6/16/2019 at 6:41 AM, david strachan said:

The more he practises, the luckier he gets.

Very nice Vieri.

:D Thank you very much David!

On 6/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, otto.f said:

Sorry, this is not made by luck, but by knowledge, experience,  patience and probably also willing to face circumstances (but maybe I’m too serious here).

Thank you very much Otto! :) Well, I try to put safety first always, there is no point in taking the most amazing picture in the world if you won't be there to enjoy it afterwards!

On 6/16/2019 at 9:12 AM, hartgraef said:

Let's see more pictures!

I am afraid you will! :D 

On 6/16/2019 at 11:13 PM, stuny said:

Lovely

Thank you very much Stuart! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Edited by Vieri
  • Like 3