Thoughts on cropping?

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica Q2 is being promoted as a camera you can safely crop into, effectively offering more focal lengths than just the fixed 28mm lens. It's a 47 megapixel camera.

Just as a thought, here is a recent shot I took on my M Monochrom mk 1 (18 megapixels). The day I took that picture, all I had with me was that camera and a 28mm Summicron ASPH. The lens was too wide really for what I was trying to achieve. But cropping heavily into the image, I still got a reasonable shot out of it. And the original isn't even that sharp - there's a little movement blur on the subject. The quality looks terrible here, but a high-res version was good enough to be used on the Leica Master Shots page.

As a general principle, I like to do my cropping in the camera. But just once in a while, I can see the benefit of a judicious crop. I've discovered that I can get away with it on an 18 megapixel camera. Imagine what you could do with a Bayer-less monochrome version of the Q2. Could there even be a 47 megapixel M Monochrom at some future point?

Instagram 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 7

We would all love to crop as much as possible in camera to take advantage of the whole sensor. Sometimes the format of the sensor is not what is needed for the composition you are looking for. Meh. Do what you have to do to get the image you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cropping is never far away, most of my M246 shots are either square or 3:4 crop, occasionally I keep original ratio 2:3 with bit of edge cropping.

OP example reminds me of one of my early “Leica” images; Using Leitaxed Leica R 28mm on Nikon D700, and that is Bayer 12Mp sensor, I kept no more than third of the full image for the satisfying result.

• Like 1

I mostly shoot a M9M with a 50 Summicron bit lately I’ve been using a 35 Nokton instead. The result is that I tend to stand a bit too far off. This, combined with the very loose 35mm frame lines results in a wider scene than would be ideal. So, now I find myself cropping a bit more than I would like. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, mostly I crop for Forum images, once in awhile I will crop an image for my files..Showing Cropped Area for Forum..

Edited by lykaman
  • Like 2

Matthew,

I think that you pointed here the great force of b&w photos,

once cropped this can greatly enhance a "soso image color file" 😊

but not always the case, best to "crop when photo taken" (if possible ! )

I've tried to show a heavy crop that pleases me much better than the whole image,

better yet "converted to b&w"

heavy crop of original color file from Leica M-D and Summicron 50mm Rigid

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since the Monochrom comes in 3:2 aspect ratio, cropping is a necessity when other ratios such as 6:7 are desired. Unfortunately, this format has sadly almost disappeared in digital photography. 

On a side-note: I just upscaled a M246 image to 1.5m for print and I am stunned...there is room for cropping.

• Thanks 2

On the one hand, one of my picture-editing instructors told us to "crop until the picture screams in pain - and then back off a little." ;)

Your sample is a good example of doing that successfully.

On the other hand, I buy cameras for their native format. I didn't shoot a Leica to make square pictures, and I didn't buy a Hasselblad to make rectangles.*

And then I bust my behind to make sure I get the right cropping in the camera, 99% of the time.

*I know, I know - squares are a subset of rectangles (but a unique subset!)

• Like 2

I cannot recall an image that I haven't cropped in one way or another for a final print, whether shot on a Leica M or any other camera. I've never regarded the M viewfinder as anything other than an approximate indication of the framing, it's primarily a focusing tool. I get the shot and "make it" with the final print in post, and this to me is the joy of post-production because many times I've discovered a much better image by cropping a mediocre one.

Most of my M images are cropped. Some slightly, just to level the horizon or a correct a vertical line, others substantially more to concentrate on an object, the 24MB image size leaves ample room for that. As petermullett explained above, the viewfinder gives only a rough indication of the image, the fine tuning happens on the screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb adan:

On the other hand, I buy cameras for their native format. I didn't shoot a Leica to make square pictures, and I didn't buy a Hasselblad to make rectangles.*

Yupp. I still have a 6x6/6x7 rangefinder (Bessa III) for these aspect ratios, but may replace it fully with a M Monochrom. In digital (especially for dedicated B/W work), options are limited in that format - the closer 4x3 format is covered only by MFT and medium format, and older digital backs. I shot a Kodak DCS Pro on a Mamiya for some time for square. I hope at some point we see a digital B/W sensor in 4:3 or 6:7 ratio, which would also be an advantage for magazine prints.
Until then...I will need to crop M Monochrom images.

Since now, while discovering my M (typ 246), I've never use that "liveview aid" for another format.

Maybe, I'll use that thing for fun,maybe  ;

in LV, pushing the "up" button two lines indicate 9:16 , 3:4 , 1:1 then 6:7

I regret only as fan of Xpan no 24x65 size "crop" 😉.

13 hours ago, Peter_S said:

On a side-note: I just upscaled a M246 image to 1.5m for print and I am stunned...there is room for cropping.

Ive upscale M8 images to 30” on the long side and M9M images to 48” on the long side with great results. IMHO, the M9M can probably go to at least 60” and maybe even 72” under the right circumstances. 

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb AceVentura1986:

Ive upscale M8 images to 30” on the long side and M9M images to 48” on the long side with great results. IMHO, the M9M can probably go to at least 60” and maybe even 72” under the right circumstances. 

Slightly diverging off-topic here - but what software did you use? I use ON1 Resize. The difference between images with the Leica T and M246 upscaled are significant, way more than the pixel count would suggest. But yes, I have done M8 images to 3m wide...but for moderate viewing distances. That 1.5m print from the Monochrom retains almost all details and would not disappoint when inspected closely.

Original shot

Crop center, upsized to 150cm width.

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Peter_S said:

Slightly diverging off-topic here - but what software did you use? I use ON1 Resize. The difference between images with the Leica T and M246 upscaled are significant, way more than the pixel count would suggest. But yes, I have done M8 images to 3m wide...but for moderate viewing distances. That 1.5m print from the Monochrom retains almost all details and would not disappoint when inspected closely.

Original shot

Crop center, upsized to 150cm width.

Nothing special, actually, just Lightroom. I did generate these print images in TIFF and to the exact size I needed at either 250 or 300 PPI. Also, I sent them to a professional printer rather than undertake the task myself. I used a one-man shop near my home run by a guy who’s a real craftsman. Incidentally, these were printed on aluminum and when examined up close reveal no pixelization at all. 

I do feature these prints on my website at comparable sizes, but printed by MPix through Zenfolio. So far, all prints from this source have been fine art quality. 

• Like 2

PS - I had for some reason grain added to the image...this is the "clean" crop (from a 140cm wide file).

Edited by Peter_S