Sign in to follow this  
colint544

Thoughts on cropping?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica Q2 is being promoted as a camera you can safely crop into, effectively offering more focal lengths than just the fixed 28mm lens. It's a 47 megapixel camera.

Just as a thought, here is a recent shot I took on my M Monochrom mk 1 (18 megapixels). The day I took that picture, all I had with me was that camera and a 28mm Summicron ASPH. The lens was too wide really for what I was trying to achieve. But cropping heavily into the image, I still got a reasonable shot out of it. And the original isn't even that sharp - there's a little movement blur on the subject. The quality looks terrible here, but a high-res version was good enough to be used on the Leica Master Shots page.

As a general principle, I like to do my cropping in the camera. But just once in a while, I can see the benefit of a judicious crop. I've discovered that I can get away with it on an 18 megapixel camera. Imagine what you could do with a Bayer-less monochrome version of the Q2. Could there even be a 47 megapixel M Monochrom at some future point?

Instagram 

Edited by colint544

I would also much rather frame it right in camera. If I crop a lot, then I usually find myself disappointed with perspective defects. But of course I will crop to extremes if I only have one (wrong) lens with me😉.

We would all love to crop as much as possible in camera to take advantage of the whole sensor. Sometimes the format of the sensor is not what is needed for the composition you are looking for. Meh. Do what you have to do to get the image you want.

Cropping is never far away, most of my M246 shots are either square or 3:4 crop, occasionally I keep original ratio 2:3 with bit of edge cropping.

OP example reminds me of one of my early “Leica” images; Using Leitaxed Leica R 28mm on Nikon D700, and that is Bayer 12Mp sensor, I kept no more than third of the full image for the satisfying result.

I mostly shoot a M9M with a 50 Summicron bit lately I’ve been using a 35 Nokton instead. The result is that I tend to stand a bit too far off. This, combined with the very loose 35mm frame lines results in a wider scene than would be ideal. So, now I find myself cropping a bit more than I would like. 

Whatever it takes.  Nobody knows or cares about the tactics, or how hard it was to get the desired pic.  The final picture and print count, film or digital.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, mostly I crop for Forum images, once in awhile I will crop an image for my files..Showing Cropped Area for Forum..

Edited by lykaman