What tripod for Leica SL {merged}

IkarusJohn

My "large" tripod is a set of Feisol CT3442 Tournament legs

I'm a big Feisol fan, too. Here is their traveler which extends to 184 cm, weights 1.61 kg includes a ball head and quick release.  (I use one of their heavy-duty tripods.) For lightweight cameras I use what Wilson showed, and while mine is weather beaten it is still serviceable after 20 years.

Feisol has a good selection of gear.

OH! If you are going to buy a Feisol, consider nudging me. I got a 25% discount. The same might be available to others, depending upon where you live.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

. The Billingham 225 is lovely, feels lovely, holds about what the BLB does but I find it a pain to get gear in and out of. 

:o

When I get back to the UK, I am going to take my 225 down to Brighton, when there is a shop called "Clever with Leather". If you can get past the very abrupt manner of the owner and carrying a Leica is the best way to do that, as he loves them, he will do excellent one-off work. I am going to get him to put a longer zip into the main compartment of my 225, extending further down one side. This, I hope will help with the difficulty in getting an SL in and out, if you have two other lenses sitting at the other end of the main compartment. He was the man who made the lovely matching leather top handle for my Billy Combi M. 

Wilson

When I get back to the UK, I am going to take my 225 down to Brighton, when there is a shop called "Clever with Leather". If you can get past the very abrupt manner of the owner and carrying a Leica is the best way to do that, as he loves them, he will do excellent one-off work. I am going to get him to put a longer zip into the main compartment of my 225, extending further down one side. This, I hope will help with the difficulty in getting an SL in and out, if you have two other lenses sitting at the other end of the main compartment. He was the man who made the lovely matching leather top handle for my Billy Combi M. 

Wilson

I think I may just reserve the 225 for the Hasselblad SWC. It's a different shape, and gear doesn't need to go in and out of the bag very often compared to the SL and its lenses. There'll be plenty of room for the camera, two backs, focusing back and magnifier, etc. 

• 1 year later...

Back to tripods. 

I bought a Gitzo 2535 travel tripod, but havent actually used it yet in the field. For the last trip, I took my Velbon. My camera is the SL for which I bought the RRS L-plate, which I love much more than the usual arca-swiss compatible that you simply screw into the tripod socket, and which I usually find twists a little unless severely tightened. 

I had a Velbon Sherpa carbon fibre with 30mm diameter top legs. I was very happy with it, even in Scotland in a loch or in the sea and sand. However, in Portugal last month while I had the Velbon my friend had the RRS TVC34 (it has 37mm diameter legs). On the last day on a hill taking long exposure photos, all of my photos have shake because of the strong winds that day, whilst my friend had no problem. Either the diameter of his legs did that, or the more modern day quality of carbon fibre is better at absorbing shake. Whilst the Velbon cost me a few hundred pounds 10 years ago, the Gitzo cost me close to $900. I also picked up recently the Manfrotto 055 (Aluminium) with the riser arm that twists out and goes horizontal - I shall use this indoor for still life. 

Anyway, I did a lot of market research to replace the Velbon (I do not think the traveller Gitzo would be much more stable than my old Velbon). The RRS are probably the most expensive. The Feisols are excellent and lower in price. FLMs are highly rated. The Gitzos are similar in price to RRS and excellent. I decided to buy the RRS 34. It extends without a central riser to above my eye level (with the head). What I like about the RRS and the Gitzos are the leg locking mechanisms which work well and quickly. 

The other most important accessory is the head, and the use of the head will make or destroy your tripod experience. 

In Scotland I had the Sirui 10 head, which in hindsight was far too small to support an SL with 80-200 or 24-90 zoom. It was rubbish. After researching heads, I came to the conclusion that one important new development is the non-spherical balls in the ball head, Heads. These remove the need for the tensioning screw found in many ball heads which on my Sirui meant tightening two screws to get the camera to stay still when taking verticals. I opted for the Arca Swiss P0 with the classic lock (not the lever) and I love it. An alternative is the P0 Hybrid which has a geared head as well as the usual ball head mechanism. For the long exposure landscape photograpahy, I realize I could do much more with a two camera setup, especially as you cannot cancel the dark exposure for the same time as the original exposure. 4+4 mins is a long time to wait while the light changes. 

Gitzo traveller 2 series will go with me later today for my next trip with the P0 head - no car and a lot of walking so I opt for the lowest weight. I did not push the "BUY" button on RRS as I found my local shop had a 2nd hand Gitzo Systematic 3 tripod with 3 legs for a very reasonable price. I will tell you how that works later. 

• Like 2

I use an RRS 34 and Arca Swiss P0 ball head and swap out my SL for my CL during the NR part of a long exposure.

Rock solid combo, not too heavy or big for travel, easy and quick to set up and adjust.

Looks like you have narrowed the choice down to much the same solution .....  ;)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have added the SL 90-280 to my kit and am now thinking about upgrading the tripod.

I do like the Area-Swiss D4 and the recommendatiosn seems to be with the Classic release over the flip quick release.

For the tripod I spoke with RRS customer service and they are recommending the TVC-24L which is currently backordered.

It looks to be the best all round fit based on my gear and height.

Has anyone used the ARCA-SWISS Quiklink tripod head mount system.

Best tripod I have for the SL + SL90-280 is a set of Feisol CT3442 Tournament legs fitted with an Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 Hybrid head. Rock solid, tall enough to be very useful, packs down small enough (19"x5", 4.2 lbs in the case) for traveling, and the micro adjustment available with the P0H's goniometers allows great precision in framing. 

• Like 2

I have both the feisol 3442 tournament and the red 24L. Both easily handle the SL. The rrs is rock solid and clearly higher quality but, longer, heavier, and much more expensive. The feisol is ideal for travel, light and compact, will fit inside a carry on, but, not the same quality. Horses for courses.

• Like 2

I have had 3 sessions using the Gitzo GT2545T with A-S P0 Classic head, on the sandy beach. But I have my Canon 7D with 16-35/4 lens so not a heavy load.

So far, the tripod is handling it all well. The 7D is not an SL and i think I will sell it when I am back. The head is still good but I wish I had brought the P0 hybrid with its precision gears. A couple of times, when i only had to make a few degrees change in angle, it moved by a lot and had to be carefully repositioned again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an alternative, you can also consider the Leica ballhead 38 (14114) and traveller tripod (11401) ...........................

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost completed my journey into tripods. I have the Gitzo Traveller 2 series (for short trips where I only have hand luggage); a Gitzo Systematic 3 with 3 leg sections and an aluminium Manfrotto 055 for food and home use. But I wanted a large carbon and very stable tripod for multi minute landscape photos using filters. 

I have ordered the ProMediaGear TR424L. The contenders were the Gitzo Series 5, RRS TVC44 (a direct competitor) and RRS TVC34L (a smaller, lighter competitor). Hopefully this is the last tripod I will buy. I did look at the FLM tripods, but did not find one physically to check out and they are smaller in size and load bearing. Similarly I considered the Feisol but didnt find any to touch and there were some reviews that said it was not in the same class as the RRS. 

The reasons for my choice were many but came down to a Youtube review, comments on other forums from people who have it, the 42mm diameter of the top tube, the height is much larger than any of my other tripods, with the fourth leg retracted it should be tall enough for normal use but the retracted leg should give extra weight to the bottom of the tripod (FYI, I have always preferred 3 section tripods over 4 simply for the theory that they should be more stable when fully extended due to 3rd leg section being larger diameter). Another important factor in my choice was to find something where there is the perception of good quality and attention to details; which ruled out Chinese made tripods (I know Chinese manufacturers are capable of producing goods of as high quality as are manufactured in Europe, but it is harder to ascertain which these are and if they continue their QA or drop QA due to price issues. Basically I am equating high price with high QA and assuming low price is low QA).

Some of the features I liked about PMG are the threaded holes for attaching accessories to the tripod base; the ease of removal of the base unit to replace it with a levelling head (I ordered one of those too) and a carabiner under the base unit to attach a weighted bag to, instead of a hook. Plus the base is red and not boring black. 

My concerns with the PMG are very few reviews about their products (but all favourable) against many very good reviews and feedback about RRS. FYI, the equivalent TVC44 is about 20% more expensive than the PMG TR44, which was not a factor in my decision. 

My personal view is that for a big stable tripod that you can use in windy weather with a long lens, lightweight carbon fibre is at a disadvantage. I know the big aluminium studio tripods are a pain to hump around but I don't think you can get the damping and stability with an unbraced carbon leg tripod. My choice would be the Manfrotto 058B Triaut. I have the previous version of this, the 074B. I can use it with either a cross bar on the top or a sliding track. It is strong enough that you can hang large weights off it to stabilise. The new version is nicer than mine as it has more adjustment available on the leg bracing. https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/058b-triaut-camera-tripod-black 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, what good tripod do you recommend for a camera weight like SL? I just throw away Manfrotto that couldn't hold SL because it's too heavy. It changed the angle after 5 second of screwing it very firmly, so it was useless. I don't know the model, but it wasn't the cheapest, and not the most expensive one, costs around $400. I want something really solid. Portability and lightweight are plus, but not absolutely mandatory. Price is also not important - I'd like to see all options and then decide. Thanks!

I have the bracket for the SL from RRS and it is outstanding.

When it comes to Tripods, I love the Gitzos and use the Traveller as a lightweight solution for the primes in combination with a Systematic for the 90 - 280.

The Gitzos will be solid, light weight and indestructible

• Like 1

Thanks for all suggestions. Dumb question, but why some tripods comes with separate legs and heads? I don't have much experience since I bought my Manfrotto tripod two years ago when I bought my first DSLR and since then I haven't tried anything else. But that tripod was legs and head altogether. I didn't know they're sold separately.