What tripod for Leica SL {merged}

IkarusJohn

Would love to see some photos with that set-up for sure!   

First of all, I have no experience with either lens or camera.

I use the Gitzo GT2542 with an Arca-Swiss P0 ball-head. Great tripod, to get around with, sturdy enough for using it with a SL with moderate size lenses. I leave the center column out, only use the hook for extra weight when there is a bit of wind.

To use only this Gitzo with the 24-90 is at the limit, I think. Not so much because of the weight, but more because of the balance of lens/camera (the extended length of the SL-lens is almost 200 mm. and there is no tripod mount on the lens.

I use an extra Manfrotto 359 support if I want absolute stability for long lenses in combination with a Hejnar long lens support.

Pictured is the Gitzo-tripod with the manfrotto 593-support, together with the Leica T and a Minolta Rokkor-R 800mm./f8 and adapter M-R/M-T. This combination is about the same same size as the extended 24-90 SL lens (190 mm.), although the diameter of the lenses differ (88 mm. for the SL and 121 for the Minolta)  The Minolta weighs 1,8 kg. but this is no problem whatsoever for the Gitzo, it is even better.

I think just the Hejnar support could be enough for the SL-lens, because it has only a FL of 90 mm. See second picture with the MR-telyt 500mm/f8. and APO-extender. This combination has the same length and girth as the SL-length half extended, 165 mm. (but weighs less). The SL-camera can be mounted on the Hejnar support. The center of gravity of the camera/lens combination should be above the ballhead.

Looks all like overkill, but it guarantees a picture without unwanted blur, whichever long lens you use on a camera/lens combination of moderate weight, even with a bit of wind. This is, in my experience a better solution than using a heavier tripod.

I have used many different sized tripods over the years. Now that I'm shooting with the Leica SL and M lenses, and before with the M-P 240, I have sold all of my large tripods and purchased the Gitzo Traveler 2 and use the Really Right Stuff ball head BH-40. The new leg design on the new Gitzo Traveler series is so much easier to use than the previous models. The RRS (Really Right Stuff) head BH-40 is great for doing panos and has the quick release clamp and is self leveling.

This combination has worked perfectly for the M-P and SL. If it gets windy, I use my camera bag hanging off the center post to gain more support.

The main decision in choosing a tripod, is getting one that will work for your equipment load, but light and sturdy enough that you will always take it with you, and use it as much as possible.

• 2 months later...

Although the original post asked for a relatively small/low weight tripod, may I ask for recommendations for a tripod to be used for longish lenses, like APO280f4 w/1.4 og 2.0 converter or a 500mm lens. I have a Manfrotto 3221WN that works fine with Leica M/SL and "ordinary" lenses, but is too shaky for long tele lenses. I have sturdy ball head and a gimbal head, so those should be fine.

My hight is close to 190 cm, so the tripod should have an extended hight of 150+ cm.

Thanks!

I use a Gitzo Traveller Series 2 - not heavy and strong enough for a heavy camera plus a 300 mm lens.  I really can recommend this tripod - I use it for a Canon 5 D III plus a 70/200 2.8 lens and an additional 2ply converter in case of need.

• Like 2

Although the original post asked for a relatively small/low weight tripod, may I ask for recommendations for a tripod to be used for longish lenses, like APO280f4 w/1.4 og 2.0 converter or a 500mm lens. I have a Manfrotto 3221WN that works fine with Leica M/SL and "ordinary" lenses, but is too shaky for long tele lenses. I have sturdy ball head and a gimbal head, so those should be fine.

My hight is close to 190 cm, so the tripod should have an extended hight of 150+ cm.

Thanks!

My wife bought me a Berlebach Report 843 long centre column, wooden tripod for a Christmas present last year. I am delighted with it. It matches perfectly with the SL. I use it with either a Manfrotto 222 vertical joystick or 322 side joystick head. Both of these heads have Hejnar Arca compatible QR plate adapters on them. The levelling ball for the centre column makes life very easy, as you don't need to mess about shortening and lengthening legs to get a vertical central column. In retrospect, I am not sure I would opt for the long column again. The only problem when you are using it with the SL is getting rid of the gawkers who want to talk about the wooden tripod their grandfather used to have and how they have always wanted a Leica camera  :)

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a picture of the Berlebach with a 60 power spotting scope on it. It is noticeably steadier on the Berlebach than it was on the Manfrotto 190 I used to use. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks!

Really Right Stuff TVC34 or TVC34L with Really Right Stuff BH-55. If you wanted one a little lighter, you could go down to the TVC24L/BH-40 combo and find it adequate.

• Like 1

Thanks!

My "large" tripod is a set of Feisol CT3442 Tournament legs fitted with an Acratech GP head and column. The leg and head are rated to 26 lbs, which is about 2-3x the weight of my heaviest camera rig. The legs are four-section, twist-lock, CF construction with quite large tube diameters; very stable if not particularly quick acting. The head is magnificent: easy to clean, separate friction and position lock, separate pan lock, and the ability to be inverted and used as a leveling base. The legs stand quite tall when fully extended ... Even without the column in place, I need a small stool to get my eye behind a viewfinder. They also collapse down to fit into a trim 5 inch by 19 inch padded carrying case, with the head fitted. 

I've had these legs since 2006. They've been all around the world with me, still look and feel as new. 

• Like 1

Really Right Stuff TVC34 or TVC34L with Really Right Stuff BH-55. If you wanted one a little lighter, you could go down to the TVC24L/BH-40 combo and find it adequate.

The TVC-24L would also pair well with the more robust BH55 head, for a compromise that might better suit the 90-280.  A friend who uses the Canon 5DSR with long lenses found that the BH-40 could create slight slippage in extreme circumstances.

Jeff

• Like 1

Going old style.

;) 

Leica SL with M-Adapter T/SL, R-Adapter M (with tripod mount installed), R-Vario-Elmarit 28-90/2,8-4,5 Asph, Lee Filters, on Really Right Stuff B9 Bidirectional Plate, RRS BH-55 Ballhead, RRS TA-3 Leveling Base and RRS TVC-34L Tripod.

Like on the M240, the optional tripod mount available on the R-Adapter M is surprisingly convenient to have on manual focusing zoom-lenses like the 21-35, 35-70, 28-90, and even on the 80/1,4. On a tripod it is better balanced and handheld it help manual focusing and zooming. It rest on the palm and you only have to move the fingers.

It would be even better if it could turn 90° for vertical pictures.

I hope their will be a optional turnable tripod mount on the future R-Adapter SL.

I have a coded Novoflex R-Adapter M for longer lenses which have their own tripod mount and a Wimberley Sidekick.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

These bags (as per pic above) terrify me ...... I had a Lowepro one for my Nikon and later old M9 gear.

I slung it over my shoulder more than once having forgotten to zip it up properly and nearly dumped 20k of photo gear onto concrete on the second occasion.

After that fright it was retired to the 'bag graveyard' in the garage roof-space ......

My travel backpacks now all open from the rear. Not only won't they fall open as easily ( I wore mine fro 10 minutes once with the zip mostly undone until I couldn't work out what was so uncomfortable) but you lay the pack on it's back so no mud and grime on your clothes and shirt.

Packs like the one above are retired for me as well. You could pack a ton in them which weighed a.......

Gordon

In my opinion, there is no better backpack to travel by aircraft, car or for Safari than the GuraGear Battaflae.

Thanks to its external size, weigh, internal volume ratio, to the stowaway harness and to the butterfly opening. 

His successor the Tamrac G Elite is cheaper but not as good from what I have seen in a camera shop in N-Y.

• Like 1

Here is the Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod with the Arca-Swiss d4 "Classic" head.

It looks great, and works well.

• Like 1

And here with the Peak Design Everyday Messenger.

• Like 1

John, just curious how you use the bag as shown, i.e., for hiking, for transport to location, etc?   And how do you carry it, messenger style or shoulder?  It appears well designed from my site review, but if I were hiking, it seems a light backpack might be a more balanced load....but that's based on zero experience with it.  Peak Design seems to be turning out good stuff.

I use the same tripod for lighter travel/hiking....different head....and attach it to the middle of a Gura Gear backpack.  Pluses and minuses to every bag.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

The head is fabulous, but heavy. When travelling, I take it off and put it inside the bag. By the way, thank you for the recommendation for the tripod. 

The bag is amazingly thought out in those small ways. The challenge is not to overload it (common, I guess). Generally traveling, it has my MacBook Air (the small one) and mini-iPad in the back sleave, SL with 24-90 zoom, maybe SF-40 flash, phone, spare cards, cleaning cloth, wallet, specs, keys etc. I tend to carry that on my right shoulder. 

If I'm riding my motorbike, messenger style; if I'm riding my bicycle to the ferry, messenger style, with the waist strap to stop it rotating around. While it is not the prettiest, and prone to overloading (stupid), it is the best thought out bag I've had. It will come to Mauritius with me, with the above and tripod - I'm undecided about taking a telephoto, but I will probably take the Monochrom and some spare batteries. Still debating. 

• Like 2

Regards the Peak Design Everyday Messenger ...

"... The bag is amazingly thought out in those small ways.  ..."

I'm content with the Billingham L2 for day to day "camera and SL24-90" and "camera with two R lenses of medium size" use. And the BLB Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II works for a travel kit as I used it this last weekend (held SL body, R35/2, R90/2, WATE, iPad Pro 9.7 inch and a few other essentials) but it's tight and a little clumsy. The Tenba Messenger Mini handles a day out with larger lenses but becomes a bit unwieldy in use and doesn't fit well if you want to carry it with strap bandolier style like a messenger bag. Et cetera. The Billingham 225 is lovely, feels lovely, holds about what the BLB does but I find it a pain to get gear in and out of. 

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try one of the Peak Design bags.. Sigh.  :o

• jaapv changed the title to What tripod for Leica SL {merged}