Rob1738

Leitz wetzlar, elmarit 1:2.8/90

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have an old lens named above, and was after some advice. I was thinking about selling it and was wondering if it was worth getting it serviced (seems very expensive to the untrained eye) before or should sell it as it is. 

It also needs a good clean as it's been sat for 12 years but as I don't know much about cameras or lenses I don't want to do it more harm than good. Would a baby wipe be ok to clean the outside? If no any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

I've tried to add photos but says they are too big. 

Not a baby wipe; that contains Lanolin - fat which will smear everything. If you know so little about maintaining a lens I would recommend a CLA by a trusted repair shop.

Leica CS is indeed a bit pricey.

Jaapv,

Thank you for your reply, its much appreciated. 

Sadly I know nothing about lenses, that's why I thought I should seek advice. 

I shall look up CLA and see if there are repair shops in my area. 

Sorry to be ask but do you think it would be worth getting this type of lens professionally looked at?

Hello,

Is it this Elmarit 2.8/90, like the link below ?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Elmarit_f%3D_9_cm_1:2.8

If it's the case, this is one of the less "wanted lens" in Leitz/Leica world.

So, it's not good idea to have it CLAed, you may pay more in CLA than it will "pay" you when sold at market price.

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the Forum.

What makes you think that the lens needs cleaning?

Is it possible to put a photo of it here in this Thread?

I am asking because it is quite possible for the lens to sit & do nothing for a number of years & still be perfectly fine.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, 

The outside is pretty dirty particularly in the serrated sections, in the top part that unscrews and has the top and bottom lenses (sorry not sure of the technical name) it looks like there is some dust and light marks (not sure how it got on the inside).

I can't upload the pics on here due to size but you can view the ones I just took here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2p76s5wtyp4461/AACBCb2NI6jherUXDmFHEshZa?dl=0

I think the lens was well used before I got it, ever since I've had it it's sat on a shelf with the covers on. 

Many thanks for your response and advice. 

Kind regards,

Rob. 

Hello Rob,

Thanx for the photos.

The satin finish on the lens is the way it is supposed to be.

Remember the rule for working in laboratories: Satin finish is to touch & hold. Mirror finish is to not touch when possible.

The lens is supposed to be handled where it is satin finished.

Due to circumstance I am going to "turn into a Pumpkin" soon.

Don't worry.

I'll be back.

With more.

Best Regards,

Michael

For the lens exterior and not the glass alcohol wipes and a good stiff toothbrush.

The dust won’t hurt anything. 

Just use the lens. It’s not worth a CLA due to its value.

In spite of their low cost, I’ve had CLAs done on both 90mm Elmarit and Elmar. Yes, the cost may be as much or more than the lenses cost, but it restores the performance and makes the lens more of a joy to use. I often prefer to restore something to usefulness than replace it.

The 90mm Elmarit is a good sharp lens. Just use it and only get it cleaned if something is wrong once you see the results.

the grip area on the body does tend to get a bit dirty as the dirt from handling goes into the little hollows in the machining. You can just clean the metal outside of the body with a damp cloth.

i prefer cameras and lenses that show their age, rather than “mint” looking ones.

If you are going to keep and use the lens, a CLA may be in order. There are highly-reputable (and cheaper) alternatives to Leica for service.

If you are going to sell it, price it according to its condition and let the buyer decide if he/she wants to have it cleaned when he receives it.

AFAIC, when buying used, I'm always wary of lenses advertised as "just came back from CLA" - unless the buyer shows proof of "who did it".

Hello Rob,

I'm back.

A lot of good advice above here so far. 

A good idea is to remember "gentle". For example: A clean toothbrush is handy for removing particulate matter in grooves & such. Altho I would use a soft 1 like an "Oral B". I would keep lens caps, front & back, on when doing this.

To determine whether cleaning, etc is necessary, first there are some questions:

Is the focus stiff when you use it? if so: Work the focus back & forth about 50 (Fifty) times and then see how it is. The same with setting the aperture.

The reason that the lens unit separates from the focusing mount is that this is 1 of the lenses that was meant to do that so that it can be used with a focusing mount 16464 for closeups or with adapter 16558 on a Bellows I or II. Both bellows take the same adapters. Altho on an Bellows I on a Visoflex I the lens will not focus to Infinity. The thread pitch of the lens unit where it attaches to the adapter is 33 X 1 in case you would like to know. Is there oil on the aperture blades.

Enough for a start. There is more to come in terms of cleaning the lens, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hi everyone,

Thought I would give you an update and a bit of background as to how I came to own the lens and my plan. (Apologies for the lengthy of this post)

How i got it: I used to work as an archivist and the company I worked for had the archives off site away from the main offices, so for 14 years was working alone, part of the building I was in was rented by an older gentleman who owned an antique repair shop, as we were the only people on that site we used to spend our lunch breaks together for some company and became good friends over the years. He was very much into cameras and watches, as he got older and was less able to work he asked if I would help him sell his camera equipment and other investments he had made over time, so I set him up an eBay account and we sold his Leica m3 (silver and black) which was his pride and joy and he had owned since new and what I believe was an m4 (could be wrong on that) he had bought later in life. The m3 was sold with 3 lenses and the lens I have was the 4th. The person that purchased it did not want the 90mm lens as they already had one and instead of doing a separate auction for it Don gave it to me as a gift for helping him. 

So after reading everyones advice this morning I used a soft toothbrush to clean the serrated section on the outside which removed a lot of the surface dust then bit the bullet and took it to a local camera shop to ask about the lenses he said the twist zoom is smooth and the (I believe he called it the aperture) works well, he used what looked like tweezers and removed the top lens which he wiped with a cloth and it removed the dust particles. He said the middle lens has a slight mark on it but didn't think it would effect photos as it is towards the edge it can be seen from the top when looking down the lens but not when looking through the lens the correct way, but didn't dismantle anymore as he said it would take more time and he would charge me. 

My plan for the lens: unfortunately I have never owned a real camera before so will not be able to use the lens. I plan to put it up for sale at hopefully a good price for someone that can get some use out of it and enjoy it. Then I will put the money it makes towards buying my first camera a used Nikon p900 which I can use for Luna photography. My young niece and nephew are really into space at the moment but struggle to view the moon without sending my telescope a million miles off course 🤣. I also think Don would like my plan and his memory will live on in the next generation getting into photography early.  

I want to give a big thanks to everyone who has replied and shared information and advise with, you are all appreciated more than you will know and are a credit to the camera/photography community. 

Thank you:

Michael, Ecar, Pyrogallol, TomB_tx, Jdlaing, a.noctilux and jaapv. 

For anyone interested I've taken lots of photos of the condition of it today and a video showing the movements, in the last pic before the video I've circled the mark on the middle lens (any ideas as to why it can only be seen from the top down and not from the correct way round I would be very interested to know) I will use that link when I advertise it also so people can see exactly what condition it is in. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8fmnp9gc3h72w4a/AADwWPPR7CHikUd9o3cQ-vSqa?dl=0

Thank you again everyone 👍 you're all awesome. 

Rob. 

Edited by Rob1738
Autocorrect changed link to like

I would suggest keeping it in memory of the person who gave it to you. There are many modern digital cameras that you could use it on with a cheap adaptor, so you could use it without needing to buy a Leica camera of the type it was originally made to fit.