voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and what film camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar with my M3, which doesn't have 35 mm frame lines of course so there's no point in filing the lug.

I've never quite understood the logic of filing the lug to bring up 35 mm frame lines with a 40 mm lens because if you shoot with the default 50 mm frame lines then you'll always get a little bit more than you see in the frame lines and can crop to suit if desired but if you shoot with 35 mm frame lines then you get less than you see and risk losing something important on the edge of the frame.

What am I missing?

Pete.

• Like 3

thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

yup, not planning to file it. I’m ok with the 50mm frame lines atleast I’m sure I got what I want inside the frame.

I love it on my M2, a little big though😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by weeowee
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

I wonder if anyone else is using this lens on film. I've had one for ages and decided to try it on film on an M3 only to find that focus is quite far off even stopped down. (focus plane is somewhat closer to the camera than what's indicated by the rangefinder) The camera's rangefinder focuses accurately with a whole selection of other lenses so I don't want to adjust to to match just this one.  Does the lens itself have an adjustment?

I had a CV Bessa R3M with the CV 40/1.4. It was a great pair. But when the Black Paint begins to wear, it is an ugly silver underneath. You did not say whether you want a silver or black body, so assume that is not an issue. I would go with the M3 or an M-A. Why not have the best?

On 6/11/2019 at 5:38 AM, PFM said:

You can always switch between 50 and 35 frames, then split the difference.  It worked for me on the M4-P with the Summicron-C.  Early M4-P's have the brass top, but all M6's are zinc, along with the later M4-P's.  Next body with a meter and brass top is the MP.

PF

Agree, I always had that feeling of the zinc plate, after my M4, so I sold my M6 and bought an M4 again. M3 is just as sturdy, but the advantage of M3 seems to me the viewfinder whose inner framelines are good for 50mm and the outer, metal, frame of the viewfinder itself could well be good enough for 40mm. So I’d go for a nice copy of the M3, or M2.

Edited by otto.f

14 hours ago, qqphot said:

I wonder if anyone else is using this lens on film. I've had one for ages and decided to try it on film on an M3 only to find that focus is quite far off even stopped down. (focus plane is somewhat closer to the camera than what's indicated by the rangefinder) The camera's rangefinder focuses accurately with a whole selection of other lenses so I don't want to adjust to to match just this one.  Does the lens itself have an adjustment?

I use it on film all the time and the focus is perfect with all my Ms.  I mainly use it with an M7.  You may have a defective lens if your camera is good w all your other lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Huss said:

I use it on film all the time and the focus is perfect with all my Ms.  I mainly use it with an M7.  You may have a defective lens if your camera is good w all your other lenses.

Ah, that's too bad. I suppose it is defective. Too late for warranty exchange, and it doesn't look like there's a way to calibrate it. Apparently shims can go between the mount and lens body to correct back focus, but mine has no shims and has front focus, so I'm out of luck.

Edited by qqphot

• 2 weeks later...

More on film using my M7

• Like 1