voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and what film camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the voigtlander 40mm and I want to pair it with a film M. I have the chance to buy and M2, M3 or an M6. Which would you advise me to get and why? 

I know all of them don’t have 40mm frame lines but I was thinking of using the 50mm frame lines and just estimating from there. I also wear glasses and contact lenses so it’s really not an issue (I read about older models getting scratches on the lenses of the eyeglasses)

* I was thinking of the M6 at first but I’ve been wanting a brass body and from what I read the M6 has a zinc top plate. 

I know the final decision is up to me but any advise or opinion would be great. Thanks! 

You can always switch between 50 and 35 frames, then split the difference.  It worked for me on the M4-P with the Summicron-C.  Early M4-P's have the brass top, but all M6's are zinc, along with the later M4-P's.  Next body with a meter and brass top is the MP.

PF

Edited by PFM
Additional information

R3M. It has 40mm frames, 1/2000 and metal copal shutter.

You could also get ok framing with any m from M4-p. They have narrower 35 frames, you will need to file lens tooth to 35 frames and never leave lens open during day light.

M6 curtain is more expensive as M4-p.

• Like 2

having a light meter isn’t really a priority for me🙂. I am leaning towards the M2 for the cleaner viewfinder but using the 50mm frame lines. My logic to this is whatever I see on the frame line I’m absolutely sure will be included in my actuall shot since my lens is 40mm. 

am I making sense? 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree that M2 viewfinder is the cleanest ...

untill I discovered M-A , but that is another story.

Concerning M2 VF, my first M2 bought second hand some decades ago have (I still use it now) M4's framelines.

The first owner may have it "upgrade to M4 VF".

That was nice VF to have as I  was happy M4 user before that M2 came.

Surprise when I purchased second M2 with original VF, I must admit that M2's VF is the very best in M line.

Since you wear glasses and want a brass body, the M2 would seem to be the best choice.

The lens will bring up the 50mm frameline and, as a glasses wearer myself, I rather enjoy shooting my 50 on my M2 more so than on the M3.

CL or CLE with f/1.2 lens ?

For me the consistency of focus at closer range may suffer with those short base RF with F/1.2 

or always close down to f/2.8 .

I know that while I use my Minolta CLE with F/1.4 foolishly sometimes.

Edited by a.noctilux

thanks to everyone who commented:)

I decided to get an M2 ... no logical reason actually but I’ve been wanting one since last year so I’m going to try that with my 40mm first. Ordered one from leica hunter, hopefully I’ll get it next week. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...