Favorite lens with your CL?

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I am very much smitten with the Summilux 24 M - which IS expensive 

Thank's for that comment, @jaapv. After my comment about the wish for a Summilux 23TL, I was wondering about the M equivalent, or the Summilux-M 21. Have you used it on the CL? If so, how do you find focusing?

Hi Stephen,

I had this lens with a Leica T, but I sold both of them.

Now I use the CL with the 18mm

The 23 mm good lens, real prime, no doubt about it. 

IQ is good, size is ok, but the real question to me is : " what is your favorite focal length ? 28mm or 35mm ?

if the answer is 28mm then take the TL 18mm it makes the CL or T very pocketable and it's a good lens too.

Here can you have look a 6 B&W photos, it shoot with the 18mm on January 31th. https://www.instagram.com/peterhathorn/

if you are a 35mm shooter, then take the TL 23mm. 

cheers

1 hour ago, stephengv said:

How good is the 23mm? Is it a bit expensive? 

Hi Stephen,

IQ is good, size is ok, but the real question to me is : " what is your favorite focal length ? 28mm or 35mm ?

if the answer is 28mm then take the TL 18mm it makes the CL or T very pocketable and it's a good lens too.

Here can you have look a 6 B&W photos, it shoot with the 18mm on January 31th. https://www.instagram.com/peterhathorn/

cheers

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

Thanks, Godfrey. Most reviewers test the lenses on Sony and complain about colour shift/cyan vignetting. I assume that is no issue on Leica cameras?

It's certainly not a problem on the CL, and I don't recall seeing any problems on my M-D 262 either. I will dig up some un-edited results from M-D, CL, and Hasselblad 907x for you. After breakfast... :D

G

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank's for that comment, @jaapv. After my comment about the wish for a Summilux 23TL, I was wondering about the M equivalent, or the Summilux-M 21. Have you used it on the CL? If so, how do you find focusing?

I don’t have the 21. Focusing the 24 is  very easy. I would imagine that the 21 behaves the same. I prefer the 24 because I use it on the M as well and it is the more versatile lens. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Torpille said:

Hi Stephen,

cheers

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. I already have the 18mm, but I am a 35mm shooter. I hope the 23 compares with my 35 cron on the M. 

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

It's certainly not a problem on the CL, and I don't recall seeing any problems on my M-D 262 either. I will dig up some un-edited results from M-D, CL, and Hasselblad 907x for you. After breakfast... :D

G

Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 test photos for jaapv:

These two photos were not intended to be compared together directly, although they were all taken of the same subjects in roughly the same place. The first was taken with the Leica M-D on a tripod:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The second was made with the Leica CL hand-held (it is a little blurred):

I think they show adequately the lack of color shifting across the field of view. The difference in FoV on the two formats is difficult to tell because the second exposure was done at a different time and hand-held, so the camera position is shifted.  (The warm light on the left was coming from the kitchen light vs the sunlight coming in from the patio door/window which is more bluish in nature.)

In March 2020, after I received the Hasselblad 907x, I fitted the same lens to it using a Fotodiox Pro M to X mount adapter and made the following two exposures. These were intended to be compared for FoV and overall sharpness, so both were made from a tripod, from the exact same position and in similar if not identical lighting.

First with the Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 as a reference FoV for the Hassy ultrawide: 

Then with the HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, uncropped:

With the latter exposure, I set a crop ratio of 2:3 and cropped to just within the upper and lower vignetting caused by the Voigtländer 10mm's stubby lens hood:

The resulting FoV is remarkably similar to the M-D and CL FoV, which shows that those silly little lens hood stubs really do come quite close to the FF format framing and probably do prove to be effective although it's a little difficult to imagine that they can be given how short and wide apart they are. :D The advantage to using this lens on the Hasselblad is that you can get a bit higher pixel resolution (probably about 30 Mpixel vs 24 Mpixel) and 16bit raw capture depth. 

All of these were processed from raw at the Lightroom Classic defaults with no adjustments other than the LR lens profiles for Leica (and for the Hasselblad XCD21mm) were applied. Aside from the slightly blurred, handheld CL photo, the definition and contrast with this extreme 10mm lens really does hold up nicely against even the Hasselblad XCD 21mm lens. 

Fun fun fun... G

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stephengv said:

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. I already have the 18mm, but I am a 35mm shooter. I hope the 23 compares with my 35 cron on the M. 

I love the results of the 35 mm summicron with the M. 
The 23mm didn’t give me that magic. But I live with it. 

The 11-23mm @23mm blew my mind, but has not the right aperture...

well for the cl, the Summilux-TL 35mm has the best IQ. 
But the compacity and weight  are not ideal and it is a 52 mm equivalent...

4 hours ago, ramarren said:

Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 test photos for jaapv:

These two photos were not intended to be compared together directly, although they were all taken of the same subjects in roughly the same place. The first was taken with the Leica M-D on a tripod:

The second was made with the Leica CL hand-held (it is a little blurred):

I think they show adequately the lack of color shifting across the field of view. The difference in FoV on the two formats is difficult to tell because the second exposure was done at a different time and hand-held, so the camera position is shifted.  (The warm light on the left was coming from the kitchen light vs the sunlight coming in from the patio door/window which is more bluish in nature.)

In March 2020, after I received the Hasselblad 907x, I fitted the same lens to it using a Fotodiox Pro M to X mount adapter and made the following two exposures. These were intended to be compared for FoV and overall sharpness, so both were made from a tripod, from the exact same position and in similar if not identical lighting.

First with the Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 as a reference FoV for the Hassy ultrawide: 

Then with the HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, uncropped:

With the latter exposure, I set a crop ratio of 2:3 and cropped to just within the upper and lower vignetting caused by the Voigtländer 10mm's stubby lens hood:

The resulting FoV is remarkably similar to the M-D and CL FoV, which shows that those silly little lens hood stubs really do come quite close to the FF format framing and probably do prove to be effective although it's a little difficult to imagine that they can be given how short and wide apart they are. :D The advantage to using this lens on the Hasselblad is that you can get a bit higher pixel resolution (probably about 30 Mpixel vs 24 Mpixel) and 16bit raw capture depth. 

All of these were processed from raw at the Lightroom Classic defaults with no adjustments other than the LR lens profiles for Leica (and for the Hasselblad XCD21mm) were applied. Aside from the slightly blurred, handheld CL photo, the definition and contrast with this extreme 10mm lens really does hold up nicely against even the Hasselblad XCD 21mm lens. 

Fun fun fun... G

looks OK. Next step after I have shot the 100-400 in. :)

3 hours ago, Torpille said:

I love the results of the 35 mm summicron with the M. 
The 23mm didn’t give me that magic. But I live with it. 

The 11-23mm @23mm blew my mind, but has not the right aperture...

well for the cl, the Summilux-TL 35mm has the best IQ. 
But the compacity and weight  are not ideal and it is a 52 mm equivalent...

The 11-23 is interesting, has about the same price as the 23. Problem is the weight. Do you think it is optically better than the 23? At the same aperture.

10 hours ago, stephengv said:

The 11-23 is interesting, has about the same price as the 23. Problem is the weight. Do you think it is optically better than the 23? At the same aperture.

Hi Stephen,
i took a look at your InstagraM. apparently you own 2 systems m&cl  

Do you want to switch totally or keep both?

if you want to keep both, I think lenses shouldn’t be redundant. I don’t like to have too much choice 🙂

For ex.
M: 35mm - 50mm & 90mm

for the CL :18mm , 18-56mm  and if you need aperture then go with the summicron M 35 mm on the CL.

then if you ‘need’ a 35 mm on the CL 

I think 11-23 better @4,5 than the 23mm

weight and size of the 11-23 make the cl not pocketable. In an other hand the 23 mm is not that compact either and for close up the 23mm has a F2,8 Aperture. .. but I think you already know this. 

For me 12-23, like the 18-56 mm, make the CL much more versatile. 

for the cL until now, you just own the 18mm. 
don’t you ?

My 23mm TL is a really good lens.  I also have the 35mm TL but I tend to grab my 23 because the 35 is so big.

Here's a recent shot (f4) of a lily in a garden of Beverly Hills...

I did slightly overexpose the flower and so had to make some minor adjustments in LR...argg...

CJ

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cj3209

14 hours ago, Torpille said:

Hi Stephen,
i took a look at your InstagraM. apparently you own 2 systems m&cl  

Do you want to switch totally or keep both?

if you want to keep both, I think lenses shouldn’t be redundant. I don’t like to have too much choice 🙂

For ex.
M: 35mm - 50mm & 90mm

for the CL :18mm , 18-56mm  and if you need aperture then go with the summicron M 35 mm on the CL.

then if you ‘need’ a 35 mm on the CL 

I think 11-23 better @4,5 than the 23mm

weight and size of the 11-23 make the cl not pocketable. In an other hand the 23 mm is not that compact either and for close up the 23mm has a F2,8 Aperture. .. but I think you already know this. 

For me 12-23, like the 18-56 mm, make the CL much more versatile. 

for the cL until now, you just own the 18mm. 
don’t you ?

Thank you for taking the extra mile to check my instagram feed to render your advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Yup, I have an M 240 and the CL. I primarily used a 28, 35, 50 on my M system. While on the CL, I have the 18 and 35 Lux. I was missing the 35mm focal length on the CL, hence, my interest on the 23. 

Although, my set of focal lengths are some may say, “redundant”, but I am a one focal length guy when I shoot, and I rarely change. So I love the “normal” range. Also, I really don’t like zoom. 

I absolutely get your point, a 11-23 will work best for me. Reading the reviews, the 11-23 is an outstanding lens, indeed. Problem is, I want my CL to be my “Compact Leica”. That I use when I don’t have my M or to shoot along with my M, with the same range of focal lengths, 28, 35, 50. 

I am a bit weird on these, but I am a normal range shooter. 

I am just a bit anxious on getting the 23mm, because I don’t know if it will perform like my other lenses. Will it? 

4 hours ago, stephengv said:

Thank you for taking the extra mile to check my instagram feed to render your advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Yup, I have an M 240 and the CL. I primarily used a 28, 35, 50 on my M system. While on the CL, I have the 18 and 35 Lux. I was missing the 35mm focal length on the CL, hence, my interest on the 23. 

Although, my set of focal lengths are some may say, “redundant”, but I am a one focal length guy when I shoot, and I rarely change. So I love the “normal” range. Also, I really don’t like zoom. 

I absolutely get your point, a 11-23 will work best for me. Reading the reviews, the 11-23 is an outstanding lens, indeed. Problem is, I want my CL to be my “Compact Leica”. That I use when I don’t have my M or to shoot along with my M, with the same range of focal lengths, 28, 35, 50. 

I am just a bit anxious on getting the 23mm, because I don’t know if it will perform like my other lenses. Will it? 

You are welcome. 
Well I think you have no choice and you must have to buy this lens. 😜
It a very good performer and make the users very happy. 
if you don’t known this short user review, have a look at it.  A small part is about the 23mm.
have a nice day

peter

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:10 PM, stephengv said:

I found the Summicron-T 23 to be “meh”. Not bad, but also not exciting. 
My new Sigma 30/1.4 for L Mount is arriving today, and hopefully it will prove interesting.  A little longer effective focal than the 23 would be, so we will see how that goes. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, oldwino said:

My new Sigma 30/1.4 for L Mount is arriving today, and hopefully it will prove interesting.  A little longer effective focal than the 23 would be, so we will see how that goes. 

Please report your opinion on the Sigma. I am very interested in the 30/1.4 and looking for any reliable information. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 10:40 PM, oldwino said:

Not exciting, but it is worth it? It is quite expensive.