bags27

Favorite lens with your CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, PDP said:

Well, to be honest not the original TL lenses, they are so huge. I have the fantastic 11-23 lens, but it has the size of a soft drink can. The pictures are great, but... it is not this "under-your-jacket-travel-mate", in fact I enjoy all M-lenses, the older the better, sometimes little voigtlaenders and recently R-lenses.

right there with you!

23TL is mounted standard. 90SL and 90-280SL get used a lot. WATE and 50Elmar-M a light carry-around combination.

vor 38 Minuten schrieb mdroe:

Here is my “under-the-jacket” 40mm f2 on the CL!

that is why I really really love my CL: the ability to use all these lenses with the great EVF...currently my favorite non-under-the-jacket is the R Apo-Macro-Elmarit  2,8/100, so great on the CL (for macro)

for me if I had to choose one it would be 23 or 35 tl.

but I also use the 11-23 a lot.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

54 minutes ago, PDP said:

but, if you look at the picture of the link...the 11-23 is a simply great lens

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/gallery/cl-mastershots/Siracusa-724381.html

🙂

Philipp

congratulations on being recognized for that fabulous photo!

38 minutes ago, bags27 said:

That is a spectacular photo!

vor 7 Stunden schrieb bags27:

merci

12 hours ago, PDP said:

Well, to be honest not the original TL lenses, they are so huge. I have the fantastic 11-23 lens, but it has the size of a soft drink can. The pictures are great, but... it is not this "under-your-jacket-travel-mate", in fact I enjoy all M-lenses, the older the better, sometimes little voigtlaenders and recently R-lenses.

Partially true IMHO: the TL 18 and the TL 23 are quite compact and, most importantly, AF. I find it difficult to properly focus my M lenses on the CL, not very comfortable with focus peaking but that's my problem.....

15 minutes ago, faxao said:

[...] I find it difficult to properly focus my M lenses on the CL, not very comfortable with focus peaking but that's my problem.....

Did you try the white color? Otherwise, with a little practice, focus magnification proves quite handy.

4 hours ago, lct said:

Did you try the white color? Otherwise, with a little practice, focus magnification proves quite handy.

I use both with my new Voigtländer 50mm f/1.2. I find the combination works well even wide open.  

1 hour ago, lawman said:

Fantastic photo - what did you do in post processing? Any filters used?

I was hoping someone would ask this 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Astropap:

I was hoping someone would ask this 

OK, I will do my best. I work with dng format only. I have learned that Leica shots work quite well underexposed, there is always sufficient info in the darker zones. So I made one foto using the sky in the middle as reference (grey), meaning that the front is relatively dark (shot with ISO 100, 5.6 and 1/250). Then I made another shot with one further stop underexposure (5.6 and 1/400). No tripod. In LR I merge the two picture to one (HDR function). The HDR in fact only helps with the sun. As I said the darker areas have sufficient info at Leica dng (which was never the case with Fuji and/or Olympus). So I put the dark tones to +60(!) and black to -15 to keep contrast in the front. I reduce lights by -80. Finally I used the remove haze function (correct? I have German LR), increase clarity and increase dynamic. The remove haze function is sometimes tricky as it generally is darkening the picture. Finally I jumped to color efex pro "tonal contrast" to have a slightly more dramatic sky (that is tricky with Leica CL as the tonal contrast is quite good out of camera). I remember the situation quite well and the final result is as I saw it, asked my wife and she confirmed.

in brief: I chose the sky as reference, accepting dark landscape, knowing that I will get the lights back (as long as I use Leica).

Hope that helps

Philipp

Thanks for posting that explanation!  I’m amazed that you didn’t use a tripod for the 2 exposures. 

Amy

Incidentally, Leica Store Manchester have the 11-23mm lens in stock, for next day delivery here in the UK ! 

9 hours ago, PDP said:

OK, I will do my best. I work with dng format only. I have learned that Leica shots work quite well underexposed, there is always sufficient info in the darker zones. So I made one foto using the sky in the middle as reference (grey), meaning that the front is relatively dark (shot with ISO 100, 5.6 and 1/250). Then I made another shot with one further stop underexposure (5.6 and 1/400). No tripod. In LR I merge the two picture to one (HDR function). The HDR in fact only helps with the sun. As I said the darker areas have sufficient info at Leica dng (which was never the case with Fuji and/or Olympus). So I put the dark tones to +60(!) and black to -15 to keep contrast in the front. I reduce lights by -80. Finally I used the remove haze function (correct? I have German LR), increase clarity and increase dynamic. The remove haze function is sometimes tricky as it generally is darkening the picture. Finally I jumped to color efex pro "tonal contrast" to have a slightly more dramatic sky (that is tricky with Leica CL as the tonal contrast is quite good out of camera). I remember the situation quite well and the final result is as I saw it, asked my wife and she confirmed.

in brief: I chose the sky as reference, accepting dark landscape, knowing that I will get the lights back (as long as I use Leica).

Hope that helps

Philipp

Philipp - I also thank you for posting your processing formula - it just shows how versatile a Leica CL DNG file can be - also, nice touch in obtaining your wife's corroboration!!!!

vor 48 Minuten schrieb Petercoll:

Incidentally, Leica Store Manchester have the 11-23mm lens in stock, for next day delivery here in the UK ! 

Ah, one thing to mention: the 11-23 was the reason to move to the CL; the expectation to have 11 resp 18mm with a perfect EVF (and no delay after pressing the button) was simply too exciting, and it works (despite the size of the lens...)