M-P Vs Q - Serious doubts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks a lot to all of participant who added their view and shared their experience here, so much appreciated. I tried the 35mm Summarit f2.5 for a few days. I can tell that it's a gorgeous lens and image quality is perceived way better than my 40mm f1.4 Nokton: colors, highlight retention and low vigneting from wide open. In the other hand, some of the M240 sensor issues remain: significant banding when slightly lifting shadows and really poor ISO performance after 1600. High ISO performance is not only relevant when working in low light scenarios, also in the street when trying to use fast shutter speeds to catch quick moments. I'm so curious about how M240 users handle these limitations without having to get Summilux lenses or other brand fast options.

Considering these flaws I will probably try to get a 50mm f2 Summicron which would serve as a better complement to the 28mm focal length that the Q provides brilliantly and would also partially help offseting low light issues. Other possibilities of course are trying to save a bit more time and jumping to a better performing sensor offered by M10. But that will require some time from my side and the used market to progress. I like the SL body and sensor looks really great, but I'm trying to avoid having to go back to those large lenses again...

Regards!

I have both the Q and the MP240. Both are fantastic, but If I only take one camera out with me, it’s the M every time. 

I shoot with all Leica lenses, but have rented and used the Voigtlander lenses too and found them to be very good. 

To Give my 2 cents on some of your points in the post above:

- AWB: not found the M to suck at all. Sometimes it does something funky, but 90% I find it works great and no better than Q.

- Luminous scene: Never found this. If anything, the Leica lenses I’ve used on the M have more pop than the Q.

- high ISO: 100% agree that Q is better.

- not found files to be slower in Lightroom. But, everything is slow in Lightroom!

- the lightmeter takes time to understand, this seems more like a place for personal practice than a camera issue. Make sure it is set to center weighted in the menu though just in case. 

- The rangefinder being out is annoying. That would really ruin a big part of the experience of using the camera. Worth checking with another lens. 

I’m 100% happy with the image quality of the MP240. 

Mike

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, bonesetter said:

Re kindling a slightly not recent thread... 😀

Sergio - OP

Do you have an update on your Q/M journey?

I am in the same dilemma - own a Q and an M6 which the few lenses I have for it I would like to try on a digital body

Many thanks

The M10-R have the both worlds. 

For what it's worth -- I sold my Q after a long period of idling. (Between Q's 28mm and M + Summicron 35mm the FOVs largely overlapped for my taste.)

But now there's a potential big city holiday coming up -- I just know that Q alone would make the PERFECT one-camera-one-lens solution I'd bring. So right now I kind of regret my decision to sell it!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel that we tend to want what we don't have with us... I've been fantasising about the idea of getting an M back and put a 35mm 1.4 Nokton on it... I miss it, a lot. The Q is an amazing camera, probably the best value for money you can get in my opinion for the quality of results you get, it's amazing, nobody doubts that, but.... there something missing, the old style classic experience you get with the M... it's gone. The Q is very convenient, but is that what we always look for with our photography tools? convenience? I miss 35mm focal length, I get use to 28m, even thankful at times due to some environment limitations I've been with it, but still... it's not the same... I'm waiting for the right moment to exchange it to M10 + cash difference, until then I'll enjoy it for sure, but I miss the pure crafting challenging (and frustrating) experience of the M... It's insane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sergiomarried said:

I feel that we tend to want what we don't have with us... I've been fantasising about the idea of getting an M back and put a 35mm 1.4 Nokton on it... I miss it, a lot. The Q is an amazing camera, probably the best value for money you can get in my opinion for the quality of results you get, it's amazing, nobody doubts that, but.... there something missing, the old style classic experience you get with the M... it's gone. The Q is very convenient, but is that what we always look for with our photography tools? convenience? I miss 35mm focal length, I get use to 28m, even thankful at times due to some environment limitations I've been with it, but still... it's not the same... I'm waiting for the right moment to exchange it to M10 + cash difference, until then I'll enjoy it for sure, but I miss the pure crafting challenging (and frustrating) experience of the M... It's insane

Thanks for coming back, and thankyou for a fearlessly honest look at yours - and ours - situation. I feel your pain as I, as many others too, have been/are on the same wheel of fire, without the cash to summon enough water 🙂

The one thing we can all get behind is just how insanely brilliant the Q is, and what true value for money it is, now it is plentiful used. I love mine and use it a lot

As for my struggle, I recently purchased a M6, 35 'cron, and then a 28 Elmariat. I'm still experimenting/testing/evaluating the M6 and the lenses, but would love to see what these lenses can do a Leica FF body. The convenience of digital with these two lenses is of course considerable too. I am leaning toward a 240... we'll see. I have to say, so far I haven't fell for the M6 and the rangefinder, not to mention the film faff - although back when digital didn't get a look in we accepted all that went with the film experience, but I am digressing now

Thanks again, best of luck and happy shooting  

I keep my M because of the RF... to me, it's very addictive to use.  I have the M on my desk, and I pick it up to focus on random stuff (power off not shooting) while I'm thinking/creating/brainstorming/daydreaming.   lol 

Edited by jaeger