Silver or Black

Torontoamateur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in a quandry, It's driving me nutz!!! I have decided to purchase a Noctilux 0.95 and I went down to the "local " Leica dealer to finalize my purchase. I expected that all Noctilux were Black, But I was WRONG!!! He showed ma a Silver Noctilux.  That blew my mind!  I had Expectations. but now I had to Decide ... Again.. And its not an easy decision. No Sir!  My M240 is silver and my M6 is black, so is my M4-P . my Zeiss Ikon is Silver  . A TIE!!! now I need your sage advice. What finish? The stealth black? Or the Glamourous Silver?  What would you do ? And of course Why? 

P.S. The Sliver would match my hair colour.

I think this has been hashed out several times in the forum with no slam-dunk answer.  It's what is inside the camera and lens that really matters, but I believe your post has to do with the appearance and style of equipment combinations.  I'd go with black.  A black lens always looks fine with a silver chrome camera but the reverse is not always the case.  Please base nothing on my recommendation because I wear a black belt and black sox with brown shoes and I'm the butt of many jokes by my female coworkers.  However, today I came home from shopping with a black pair of shoes.  If I make the cover of GQ you can bank on my recommendation.  Otherwise, I'd flip a coin and enjoy a fine new lens.  

• Haha 1

Silver lenses in general are so so, except if they are old small Leica’s like for instance the Summaron 35. Why on earth would you want a shiny glamourous big silver lens which is built for shooting in the night.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me this question is only about aesthetics. Most of the times anyway. Note that there are some lenses that have NOT the same weight in black or in silver. An example is the 5mm Summilux. But when I look at the specs on the Leica website no difference in weight is described there for the Noctilix. But make sure that this is true if weight matters. 

In order to make some rules for me privately I decided one time that my fast lenses (> f/2.0) are silver. The =< F/2.0 are black. Up to now I have no exception in my lens lineup.

For my taste it does not matter wether a silver or a black lens sits on a silver or a black camera. I simply like both. My M10 is silver at the moment. 

Edited by M10 for me