DIY film dryer

philipus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Looks like an old print drier/glazer for use with real paper, last used in the 1970’

Yep. It's a ferrotype dryer. The drum is hot and chrome plated. If you place the print so that the emulsion faces the drum it gives the print a super shiny gloss. Paper can also be placed so the emulsion faces the canvas to dry to a matte finish.

Edited by pico

• 8 months later...

To proceed the discussion from August, my problem ist not the drying but very often dust, especially  bw film. German DIY warehouses offer fans ( the wonderful german composite is "Rohreinschublüfter") being able to convey 180m³ per hour. Vacuuming is this fan capable to surpass a at least to small HEPA-filter. A solution for my drying question.

Regards

Joachim

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have a cord across the shower in the bathroom where I develop my film, shut the shower curtins and there is very little dust. I use photo flo and a squeegee after the last rinse, hang it with plastic covered clips. In the winter it dries in a couple of hours, don't have a humid summer experience yet. When I had a dark room I built a plywood epoxy paint covered cabinet for film drying. I don't like the Senrac dryers they are too hot and the film has a curl coming out of them, used one for years at work when I had extreme deadlines. 

2 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have a cord across the shower in the bathroom where I develop my film, shut the shower curtins and there is very little dust. I use photo flo and a squeegee after the last rinse, hang it with plastic covered clips. 

exactly what I do, too. I first run the shower hottest possible. I think (hope!) the steam settles whatever remaining dust, and adds heat to the room, for faster drying.

Very nice construction Joachim. And that is a funny, very to the point German word, made me smile.

In the meantime I have updated my design somewhat, described here:

https://philipus.com/project-film-dryer-ver-20 

On 4/26/2020 at 11:08 PM, mdachs said:

To proceed the discussion from August, my problem ist not the drying but very often dust, especially  bw film. German DIY warehouses offer fans ( the wonderful german composite is "Rohreinschublüfter") being able to convey 180m³ per hour. Vacuuming is this fan capable to surpass a at least to small HEPA-filter. A solution for my drying question.

Regards

Joachim

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1