Dave in Wales

TL 55-135mm.....Who needs a 'Long-Tom'

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the mathematicians amongst us, my maths can be a little shaky, so be kind :) please.

I continue to be amazed by the IQ from the TL 55-135mm, so much so that I got to wondering what equivalent 'long tom' would be necessary to produce the images I'm achieving at 100% crop.

Is it possible to approximate/calculate?

SOOC JPG TL55-135 @ 135mm. 

100% crop

Edited by Dave in Wales

Posted (edited)

Dave,

I am thinking about the 70-200 f4 Panasonic (L Mount), but I am not going to be the first person to put it on a CL. It is a Leica sanctioned lens with OIS and should be good. Don't think there is anything like a 200-500 Nikon (150-600 Sigma or Tamron) available, I know serious birders who use those 3 lenses. 

The result you have is very nice.

Tom

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
new info

I'm in doubt  In theory I would like an affordable 400 mm O.I.S. zoom (are you listening, Panasonic/Sigma?) Failing that I am pondering a used (condition B-) 90-280 SL. .

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 6:23 AM, Dave in Wales said:

For the mathematicians amongst us, my maths can be a little shaky, so be kind :) please.

I continue to be amazed by the IQ from the TL 55-135mm, so much so that I got to wondering what equivalent 'long tom' would be necessary to produce the images I'm achieving at 100% crop.

100% crop

That's pretty remarkable. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but wondering if (and therefore how much) sharpening you applied.

Edited by bags27

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

. Don't think there is anything like a 200-500 Nikon (150-600 Sigma or Tamron) available, I know serious birders who use those 3 lenses. 

While the Nikon 200-500 is maybe the greatest value telephoto available (and I've been tempted to put it on the CL) it is heavy.

The Nikon 300 f/4 had a very bumpy entry, but word is that its latest iteration and software upgrade has helped it achieve its enormous promise. So light and quick. Paired with the half sensor D500 (which has phenomenal tracking) and the 1.4x extender, a lot of birders are finding this the new best kit.

I'm tempted to try it with the CL, since it has its own stabilization, though it would lose autofocus and aperture change is quite awkward.

Edited by bags27

4 minutes ago, bags27 said:

That's pretty remarkable. I hope you don't this the wrong way, but wondering if (and therefore how much) sharpening you applied.

The sharpening was no more than my 'standard' sharpening.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Dave in Wales said:

The sharpening was no more than my 'standard' sharpening.

Thanks, Dave. Even more impressive then!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Dave,

I am thinking about the 70-200 f4 Panasonic (L Mount), but I am not going to be the first person to put it on a CL. It is a Leica sanctioned lens with OIS and should be good. Don't think there is anything like a 200-500 Nikon (150-600 Sigma or Tamron) available, I know serious birders who use those 3 lenses. 

The result you have is very nice.

Tom

I feel I may have been misunderstood. It was purely a hypothetical question, I have no intention of buying said 'Long-Tom'

Edited by Dave in Wales

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

I'm in doubt  In theory I would like an affordable 400 mm O.I.S. zoom (are you listening, Panasonic/Sigma?) Failing that I am pondering a used (condition B-) 90-280 SL. .

Me too please.  Given the options available I think you are right, the 90-280 is really the best long option out there as of now.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bags27 said:

While the Nikon 200-500 is maybe the greatest value telephoto available (and I've been tempted to put it on the CL) it is heavy.

The Nikon 300 f/4 had a very bumpy entry, but word is that its latest iteration and software upgrade has helped it achieve its enormous promise. So light and quick. Paired with the half sensor D500 (which has phenomenal tracking) and the 1.4x extender, a lot of birders are finding this the new best kit.

I'm tempted to try it with the CL, since it has its own stabilization, though it would lose autofocus and aperture change is quite awkward.

Cannot think the image stabilisation of the 300 Nikon would work on the CL, I know using a Canon 70-300L you do not get the benefit of IS.  

Edited by Boojay

6 hours ago, Boojay said:

Cannot think the image stabilisation of the 300 Nikon would work on the CL, I know using a Canon 70-300L you do not get the benefit of IS.  

Thanks, Jayne. Yes, alas, I have now checked with someone who used that very kit, and he confirmed. Sigh. No easy answers.

Posted (edited)

Dave , with results like that, I think there is no need to get a longer lens unless you are a serious birder...then, how about a televid and cl adapter?   

as a recent owner of the 55-135, I concur...it is fabulous....off to Norway in a few weeks to put it through its paces !

Edited by johntobias

Whether or not a serious birder, it is certainly nice to use/play long focus lenses. That is already possible for a limited investment. I saw today (Ebay $ 445) "Leitz Wetzlar Leica TELYT 400mm f6.8 Lens, Shoulder Mount, and Case. R Mount". The lens is definitely more handy than it looks. The adapter is perhaps more expensive.

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 6:35 PM, jaapv said:

On 6/10/2019 at 6:35 PM, jaapv said:

CL & R 280 f4 APO , wanting manual use, it was £2,400 at red dot cameras, Bloomsbury. Slight blurring, and low light I’m afraid, but it’s outstandingly sharp like the 55-135 otherwise.

Edited by Petercoll
Added script

Oh yes that’s a fantastic lens but as I am usually shooting from a fixed position I need a zoom. 

I had a fair bit of fun with a 250 telyt R and 2x extender before I sold it...cheap, sharp, weighs a bloody ton !!! 🙂

Am 8.6.2019 um 12:23 schrieb Dave in Wales:

100% crop

Sorry Sir,

I was in your garden this afternoon and met this old comrade:

He spoke of a stingy owner!

Posted (edited)

The pic was made with your CL plus 55-135, that were lying on a small garden table.

😉

Edited by Ando