I exchange one Leica lens for a Zeiss one ... The SOUND of choices

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hola everyone!

I had a hunch! And I made a lens exchange with a colleague. I changed my Elmarit 28mm for a Zeiss C Biogon T 35mm F2.8. Of course, I got also some very good money because of the difference in price ($2,300 vs $900 approx).

I tested already and I'm incredibly happy with the result. I'm new in the world of Rangefinder, I only owned an Elmarit for one year, and now this one. I always used lenses for SLR and DSLR. So I'm very newbie.

I was so surprised (in a very good way) about the Zeiss contrast, details, sharpening and almost the lack of imperfections... Wow... so light, small but soooo powerful. I'm a 35mm guy, I always have been. I got a 28mm with my first Leica (M10) because my plan was a 28+50 combo. One lens first, then later the 50mm. I didn't resist and I made the change. And I was 100% happy about it.

I like the 35mm frames better than the 28mm. And the focus ring range is better, shortest. I like 1/3 aperture stops etc....

But the lens comes with a detail...  check the videos here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2y1inj9cq2tj8w6/AACwHw27CsRg6uhz1OTwKjBJa?dl=0&lst=

... you will understand it better.

Check also this video at 1'08" 

The little four screws are tight. And of course, most important... The lens performance is almost perfect, better than any Nikon I ever had 🙂 It works great. But it feels like is weak or more delicate, do you know what I mean

Thanks in advance for your time

• My Summilux 35/1.4 FLE rattles as well. It is a well known issue. Nothing to worry about.
• My ZM 35/2.8 has not the same problem as yours. It may benefit from a CLA.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got it! So if the lens works perfectly (the performance is amazing), I would probably accept it, embrace it and live happily right?

I'm afraid that, if maybe the optical cylinder start separating, if I tight the internal screws, I can lose the optical collimation and performance. 

The point here is that the lens is working perfectly, but it feels like is "weak" ....

Thank you all for your reply 

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

You’ll be sorry you traded that Leica lens.

11 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Some day you miss the 28mm lens!

I'm sure about it! Let's say that I prefer to have a 35mm now- I feel much better shooting with the 35mm frame lines. 

In a second moment, I should choose to invest in a better 35mm maybe, who knows. Step by step. So far, my M10+35 Zeiss is my daily gear, for travel, for street etc. If I'll become more in love with the Leica system, maybe I'll become more serious about lens choices lOL

Zeiss 35 f2.8 C-Biogon may be the sharpest 35 made.  Mine lives on my MP240 if I don't need more speed.  And ignore those who say only Leitz lenses should be on Leica M cameras.  In the course of 45 years of owning Leicas, I have traded or sold many Leica lenses for those of other manufacturers.  Each lens should be evaluated on an individual basis.  

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 4

Your Zeiss lens may well require a trip to the service/repair center, sooner or later. You seem to have saved your colleague the trouble.

I am not saying that “Zeiss wobble” is a common problem, but there are numerous anecdotes, posted on-line. That did not prevent me from buying four pre-owned ZM lenses, sight unseen. I have, thus far, gambled successfully, each time.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 and it is an excellent lens. Small size  and great images.  Nothing bad to say about it after thousands of pictures across Canada and the USA. I also have the Elmarit 28mm F/2.8 it it is astounding.  Two years ago I purchased the 35mm ASPH f?1,4 Summilix  and it is astounding.. DO I regret using the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8?? NOPE NOT ONE BIT !!!! If I don't tell people what lens I used and go into pointing out the " weaknesses" no one ever complained. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, Torontoamateur said:

DO I regret using the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8?? NOPE NOT ONE BIT !!!!

I'm glad you say it! I never tried a 35mm or 50mm Leica, but when I'll have a chance, I'll make my own tests 🙂 I guess, every lens has its own magic ... Thanks for your feedback 

On 6/8/2019 at 9:16 AM, RexGig0 said:

Your Zeiss lens may well require a trip to the service/repair center, sooner or later. You seem to have saved your colleague the trouble.

I am not saying that “Zeiss wobble” is a common problem, but there are numerous anecdotes, posted on-line. That did not prevent me from buying four pre-owned ZM lenses, sight unseen. I have, thus far, gambled successfully, each time.

RFF has poll list for ZW. Results doesn't looks like anecdotes. 

OP at least gave more secure future for his buddy. Leica lenses only going up in price. ZM is only down, from official, overpriced level to their actual market cost level. I'm totally getting why you went for pre-owned ZM.

Another thing which bugs me with ZM is their size. They can't make decent lens with 39 filter size, yet, 35 f2 ASPH VM is much compact lens than ZM 38 2.8 and it is faster lens with 39mm filter size. ZM might looks small for OP with DSLR/SLR only background, but for native RF folks .... :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

[...] Another thing which bugs me with ZM is their size. They can't make decent lens with 39 filter size, yet, 35 f2 ASPH VM is much compact lens than ZM 38 2.8 and it is faster lens with 39mm filter size. ZM might looks small for OP with DSLR/SLR only background, but for native RF folks [...]

My ZM 50/1.5 is more compact than my asph and pre-asph 50/1.4 Leicas. Also the last time i used them, my VM 35/2 and ZM 35/2.8 looked very close size wise besides the diameter of the filters. I will have to check that.

• Like 1

Indeed the VM 35/2 (right) is more compact than the ZM 35/2.8 (left). Quite an achievement given the faster speed of the VM.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

RFF has poll list for ZW. Results doesn't looks like anecdotes. 

OP at least gave more secure future for his buddy. Leica lenses only going up in price. ZM is only down, from official, overpriced level to their actual market cost level. I'm totally getting why you went for pre-owned ZM.

Another thing which bugs me with ZM is their size. They can't make decent lens with 39 filter size, yet, 35 f2 ASPH VM is much compact lens than ZM 38 2.8 and it is faster lens with 39mm filter size. ZM might looks small for OP with DSLR/SLR only background, but for native RF folks .... :)

“Anecdotes” was not meant in a disparaging way. :) An anecdote can be as truthful as a data point. Each depends upon the individual’s credibility. A collections of honest user reports, or a well-worded poll, can be a quite useful, valid reflection of reality.

I do appreciate your post. I am here to learn. Most of my photography experience is with DSLRS, with most of my images, from 2010 to 2018, being artless, clinical evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, with emphasis on macro and close-range. It was a desire to try something very different, that led to my interest in Summilux-ing, and then, Summaron-ing. ;) Then, I added 21mm, 85mm, and 35mm ZM lenses.

Perhaps it is because I have belonged to some forums with some very persnickety members, who insist that “data is not the plural of anecdote.” I take the extra step to be absolutely clear, therefore my use of “anecdote.” :)

I have seven Zeiss lenses, for three mounts; only one was bought new. My four Leica-M lenses were bought pre-owned. If done carefully, buying pre-owned is financially rewarding, indeed.

It would be nice if more future Zeiss ZM lenses would be made with smaller diameters, so as to block less of the viewfinder. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lct said:

My ZM 50/1.5 is more compact than my asph and pre-asph 50/1.4 Leicas. Also the last time i used them, my VM 35/2 and ZM 35/2.8 looked very close size wise besides the diameter of the filters. I will have to check that.

Thanks for posting lenses images. 

I have smaller (then mounted ) and much older copy of Biogon 35 2.8. a.k.a. as Jupiter-2. It has dorky aperture ring, but it is just as good as my Summarit 35 2.5 on digital and bw film. I have 7a focus tab on it.

ZM 50 1.5 is special lens. Seems to suffer from focus shift like no other mass made lens. Yes, they were able to keep it closer to the original's size with ZM version. But not as close as 50 1.5 FSU copy a.k.a Jupiter-3 which I prefer to own and use on film and digital. This is smallest and fastest 50 lens I'm aware of which doesn't suffer from focus shift, nor it is extremely soft. I'm using cable tie as focus tab, works similar to the bump on ZM lenses. But it is more smooth to focus than most of 50mm Leica, Zeiss and Viogt 50mm I used.