M10 plus Noctilux like having a brick around your neck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, NW67 said:

You would regret it

The nice thing about Leica lenses is that they hold their value better than any other brand. If you hold on to your Noctilux long enough, you might actually make a profit selling it as used.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 50mm lens both APO's and Summilux's for my Leica M's and SL as long as I have used Leica. Around 10 years.  My go to lenses are the 35 Summilux FLE and occasionally the 21mm SEM lenses or the 90mm F/2 APO. I have never been crazy about the 50mm field of view. I have taken 2 or 3 great pictures with the 50mm and carried them with me most of the time but hardly ever used them.  

I decided to buy a Noctilux 0.95 not because it is a 50mm lens (but in spite of the fact that it is a 50mm lens) because it can shoot in low light and its wide aperture can blur and "drop out" backgrounds.

I believe that in most cases the 50mm lens is too wide for a character study because it includes too much additional scenery when you are trying to do a portrait or street scene. and is to tight for landscapes or editorial pictures, for my tastes. So it always stays in my bag or belt pouch. 

I am eager to see if the Noctilux proves  more useful. 

Please see my pictures at: HarryMathiasImages.com 

1 hour ago, hmathias said:

I have had 50mm lens both APO's and Summilux's for my Leica M's and SL as long as I have used Leica. Around 10 years.  My go to lenses are the 35 Summilux FLE and occasionally the 21mm SEM lenses or the 90mm F/2 APO. I have never been crazy about the 50mm field of view. I have taken 2 or 3 great pictures with the 50mm and carried them with me most of the time but hardly ever used them.  

I decided to buy a Noctilux 0.95 not because it is a 50mm lens (but in spite of the fact that it is a 50mm lens) because it can shoot in low light and its wide aperture can blur and "drop out" backgrounds.

I believe that in most cases the 50mm lens is too wide for a character study because it includes too much additional scenery when you are trying to do a portrait or street scene. and is to tight for landscapes or editorial pictures, for my tastes. So it always stays in my bag or belt pouch. 

I am eager to see if the Noctilux proves  more useful. 

Please see my pictures at: HarryMathiasImages.com 

Nice pictures 

One reason why Nick is right and why the Noctilux stopped down to f/2 is the better Summicron. I couldn't resits but I was too lazy to change lenses. There are therefore two variables here (so not a proper test), one, the APO 50 Summicron at f/2 (wide open) on the MM2 and two, the Noctilux at f/2 (stopped down) on the M10. And this is one incredible lens stopped down a bit. It's as if the camera has more DR all of a sudden. Of course, treatment of Highlights by the M10 sensor is also superior to the M 240 sensor. But we all know this. The bird is about equally exposed I'd say. But look at the sky. And you'll get links to the RAW files. 😁 Needless to say, the clouds can be recovered in the M10 + Noctilux at f/2 file, they can't in the MM2 + APO wide open file. Stopping down the Noctilux results in more DR. That's one strength of this lens. The bird wouldn't sit still, BTW.

MM2 + APO DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g81070421-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=FrpWxlEtqavnaQ_sVhR8s0b7BfkBeUpuaOqjFU8Z4aA=

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 320 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

M10 + Noctilux DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g17123326-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=8WRT5Y7VZiX05QV7iVHFMNjrOQVU_NsxpLnpTyCQ8I0=

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

19 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

It's as if the camera has more DR all of a sudden.

Yes that’s strange actually, perhaps it has something to do with the real physical, and not just nominal, base ISO of the sensor which is a small mystery in the M10 as discussed very informative by adan 2 years ago. If it would just be the lens that causes the difference, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s due to a higher contrast of the APO; that would be as expected when you compare fast lenses with slower ones. 

Edited by otto.f

3 hours ago, Chaemono said:

One reason why Nick is right and why the Noctilux stopped down to f/2 is the better Summicron. I couldn't resits but I was too lazy to change lenses. There are therefore two variables here (so not a proper test), one, the APO 50 Summicron at f/2 (wide open) on the MM2 and two, the Noctilux at f/2 (stopped down) on the M10. And this is one incredible lens stopped down a bit. It's as if the camera has more DR all of a sudden. Of course, treatment of Highlights by the M10 sensor is also superior to the M 240 sensor. But we all know this. The bird is about equally exposed I'd say. But look at the sky. And you'll get links to the RAW files. 😁 Needless to say, the clouds can be recovered in the M10 + Noctilux at f/2 file, they can't in the MM2 + APO wide open file. Stopping down the Noctilux results in more DR. That's one strength of this lens. The bird wouldn't sit still, BTW.

MM2 + APO DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g81070421-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=FrpWxlEtqavnaQ_sVhR8s0b7BfkBeUpuaOqjFU8Z4aA=

ISO 320 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

M10 + Noctilux DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g17123326-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=8WRT5Y7VZiX05QV7iVHFMNjrOQVU_NsxpLnpTyCQ8I0=

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

I think this might have a lot to do with the fact that, with the MM, when you blow the highlights you blow the only channel there is.  With the M10 or other color sensor you probably blow the blue channel in this scene but perhaps not the others (especially not red with a blue sky).  So there is still something to work with.  

This often causes color shifts when you try to recover the highlights, but not an issue on a B&W conversion.  Remember how we used (was it?) a #25 red filter back in the days...

Edited by mdemeyer
  • Like 3

This could be the reason and some people use the blown channel creatively. I have a yellow filter. I'll try with it to recreate them and also mount the APO on the M10 this time. I can't guarantee that the bird will be there, though. In the meantime, I posted a color seagull picture in the image thread with the Noctilux at f/4.

8 hours ago, Chaemono said:

ISO 320 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

Perfect...........that should put that argument too sleep once and for all. I have similar examples but they are of the NSFW media. Seeing as I am already on my last warning I will keep them to myself and enjoy them myself

vor 3 Stunden schrieb NW67:

I have similar examples but they are of the NSFW media. Seeing as I am already on my last warning I will keep them to myself and enjoy them myself

When people say ‘wide open’ on a photography forum, they usually refer to aperture, Neil. 

36 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

When people say ‘wide open’ on a photography forum, they usually refer to aperture, Neil. 

Well I guess I’m never to old to learn something. 

Neil

I'm afraid Neil, for once, is not right. Bud's right and mdemeyer in #129 arguably had the correct idea. I tried both lenses on the M10 today. The APO wide open is sharper and has more contrast than the Noctilux at f/2. I didn't  go beyond this as the performance most likely starts to converge when both lenses are stopped down. But the APO is stunning wide open.

M10 + Noctilux DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g310508872-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=AREYnmIyENIx2RscyuMVxIajCoXqZw7n8GRE-NmNuBk=

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

M10 + APO DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g139987985-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=zW-mxdDwsND_2uMSjVlaJ-BWcOT7c_jyvmyh38_T93o=

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

I'm afraid Neil, for once, is not right. Bud's right and mdemeyer in #129 arguably had the correct idea. I tried both lenses on the M10 today. The APO wide open is sharper and has more contrast than the Noctilux at f/2. I didn't  go beyond this as the performance most likely starts to converge when both lenses are stopped down. But the APO is stunning wide open.

M10 + Noctilux DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g310508872-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=AREYnmIyENIx2RscyuMVxIajCoXqZw7n8GRE-NmNuBk=

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

M10 + APO DNG file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g139987985-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=zW-mxdDwsND_2uMSjVlaJ-BWcOT7c_jyvmyh38_T93o=

ISO 200 f/2 @1/4000 sec.

Confirmed by Roger’s independent tests that I linked long ago... post 84.

Jeff

• Like 1

The background seems even unsharper at f2.0 (is that aperture exactly the same as in the APO? I doubt that) in the Naughtylux. And now the sky shows more detail in the APO shot, so that’s the opposite from the earlier comparison

Edited by otto.f

29 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Yes, same aperture.

I didn’t mean to ask if you set the right value on the ring, 😃 I wouldn’t doubt that. I just wonder whether it is technically really the same aperture. Most lenses have small variations in exact aperture; when they sell a 90Elmar Macro for f4.0, in the specifications you can see that it is for instance 3.83.