M10 plus Noctilux like having a brick around your neck

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/11/2019 at 6:48 AM, Chaemono said:

The only thing is that the 50 Noctilux is optically the better Summicron, sharp, no purple fringing, no CA, clean Highlights. Not the the APO 50 Summicron is a bad performer with regards to this for its small egg size. But the 50 Noctilux rivals the SL Summicrons in optical performance because one has to stop it down to f/2 to make it a Summicron. It’s the best SL lens on the M. 😁 

My personal experiences with these lenses over the past 9 months suggests that the APO outperforms the Noctilux except wide open as the maximum aperture is f2.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

2 hours ago, budjames said:

My personal experiences with these lenses over the past 9 months suggests that the APO outperforms the Noctilux except wide open as the maximum aperture is f2.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Rubbish, how can you say that. when you stop the Noctilux down to f2 and above it is as good if not better than the APO. And you already answered the last bit as the APO is an f2 not a 0,95

Neil

2 hours ago, NW67 said:

Rubbish, how can you say that. when you stop the Noctilux down to f2 and above it is as good if not better than the APO. And you already answered the last bit as the APO is an f2 not a 0,95

Neil

Wrong... the APO out-resolves the Noctilux at f2.  Not to mention its superiority in other aspects like chromatic aberration.  Roger’s tests are as good and independent as it gets...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

13 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Wrong... the APO out-resolves the Noctilux at f2.  Not to mention its superiority in other aspects like chromatic aberration.  Roger’s tests are as good and independent as it gets...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Jeff

Guess I’m wrong then, if you worry about all the technical stuff but for ME I get better results with my Noctilux than I did with the Apple

APO

neil

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Guess I’m wrong then, if you worry about all the technical stuff but for ME I get better results with my Noctilux than I did with the Apple

APO

neil

I don’t worry about the technical stuff... but facts are facts. The user is generally the determining factor for most all photographic results.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I don’t worry about the technical stuff... but facts are facts. The user is generally the determining factor for most all photographic results.

Jeff

Exactly. That was my point. 

Neil

50 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Exactly. That was my point. 

Neil

Sure, after the fact, and something I state continually. But it wasn’t your emphatic, but wrong, initial point, which prompted this exchange.  You were clearly claiming the technical superiority of the Noctilux, as if that were determining.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

something that I love about the Nocti is good bokeh at higher f-stops and further distances from the subject. Something that other lenses do not do, or do not do that well. The 50 APO is also a stunner, but for different reasons. They are both great, but would be difficult to justify the existence (and ownership) of two such expensive lenses if they were not both masters of their own trade. Leica knows this well I imagine ... ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Neil is right. The APO wide open shows some PF, while PF with the Noctilux at f/2 is completely gone. I have both lenses. I’ll show some examples at f/2 and f/2.8. At f/2.8 the Noctilux is a stunner. 

Looking forward to your comparison. After some quick googling seems this has been an ongoing discussion long before I joined the Leica team. Today I own the Noctilux and the Summilux 50's and can't seem to find a reason I don't want to keep using both. Ha Ha. Two very different lenses. Looking forward to seeing your side by side with the already other legendary Leica 50 APO. 

Don’t hold your breath. The PF with the APO is tiny and can be easily removed in LR by moving the PF sliders. It mainly occurs on the borders of extreme Highlights and Shadows. With the Noctilux it can be removed by moving the aperture ring to f/2. It’s one nice side effect about stopping an f/0.95 lens down a bit. 😀

Edited by Chaemono

43 minutes ago, pico said:

Take a break from your huge Leica Noctilux and adventure into the tiny MS Optical Sonnetar 50mm ƒ/1.1 if you can find one. :)

M moooouuuunt, the new MS Optics ISM 1.0/50mm is available and only 178g

small, light, for

$1700 only

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pico said:

Take a break from your huge Leica Noctilux and adventure into the tiny MS Optical Sonnetar 50mm ƒ/1.1 if you can find one. :)

Bill it will be like any Chinese nok off...............a load of garbage. You would be better off using the 1700 bucks on a decent strap for the M+Noctilux............preferably in red :):)

Neil

1 hour ago, NW67 said:

Bill it will be like any Chinese nok off...............a load of garbage. You would be better off using the 1700 bucks on a decent strap for the M+Noctilux............preferably in red :):)

No, ya big silly it is not a knock-off or a copy or anything like a Noctilux.

2 hours ago, pico said:

I saw the sample pictures...........wide open they looked like 98% bouquet ie nothing in focus.. after using the Q2 I’m excited about using my Noctilux on the new SL2 as long as it has raw same megapixel sensor as the Q2

2 hours ago, pico said:

I saw the sample pictures...........wide open they looked like 98% bouquet ie nothing in focus.. after using the Q2 I’m excited about using my Noctilux on the new SL2 as long as it has raw same megapixel sensor as the Q2