NW67

M10 plus Noctilux like having a brick around your neck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, NW67 said:

Anyone using the Artist Arsen like this??

I am Neil, it works great. My favourite length

I am currently using it on the MP (film) but used it for a long time on the 246 and often with the 75 Lux or 0.95 attached. Not for the faintest as the strap is very light, but shop reassured me that it is very strong and I have never had a problem. I have 2 of them in fact - only not in red :)

3 hours ago, Fedro said:

I am Neil, it works great. My favourite length

I am currently using it on the MP (film) but used it for a long time on the 246 and often with the 75 Lux or 0.95 attached. Not for the faintest as the strap is very light, but shop reassured me that it is very strong and I have never had a problem. I have 2 of them in fact - only not in red :)

Seconded. I have a bunch of (almost) these in black on most of my M bodies and have walked around with Noctilux 0.95 too. I say 'almost' because I prefer the model with the length quick adjustment loop. Never met an A&A product I didn't like.

34 minutes ago, kinch123 said:

Seconded. I have a bunch of (almost) these in black on most of my M bodies and have walked around with Noctilux 0.95 too. I say 'almost' because I prefer the model with the length quick adjustment loop. Never met an A&A product I didn't like.

Looking forward to getting mine now 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, microview said:

Yes. The Q cameras are nice to carry around – but that's the price you pay for the flexibility of the M system. (Tried the CL and TL but didn't like sacrifice in IQ.)

You can enjoy the flexibility of the M system with a more manageable lens. My 35mm Summicron Asph is featherweight. Nothing against the Noctilux but I thought that one of the virtues of the Leica M was the fact that it's relatively discreet? Pointing a Noctilux at someone is about as intimidating as a Canon DSLR with a humungous zoom attached!

58 minutes ago, Tragg said:

You can enjoy the flexibility of the M system with a more manageable lens. My 35mm Summicron Asph is featherweight. Nothing against the Noctilux but I thought that one of the virtues of the Leica M was the fact that it's relatively discreet? Pointing a Noctilux at someone is about as intimidating as a Canon DSLR with a humungous zoom attached!

This varies by country and culture. In any (Central-)Asian country I visited thus far, people’s attitude towards street-photography is completely the opposite of what we experience the last 10 years in Western European cities like Paris, London or Amsterdam where the privacy spasm has struck. So I can understand the idea that a lens can attract people to pose for your camera, this happens in Asia indeed and with lots of joy of interacting with people on the street. 

49 minutes ago, otto.f said:

This varies by country and culture. In any (Central-)Asian country I visited thus far, people’s attitude towards street-photography is completely the opposite of what we experience the last 10 years in Western European cities like Paris, London or Amsterdam where the privacy spasm has struck. So I can understand the idea that a lens can attract people to pose for your camera, this happens in Asia indeed and with lots of joy of interacting with people on the street. 

Well put otto. Living here in Phuket Thailand, we get many many visitors from all over asia and absolutely no issue taking street candid pictures, we also get the western folks over here and I don't even bother trying to get there pictures.........I prefer the pretty ones :):):)

Neil 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the Noctilux, Summilux and APO Summicron 50mm lenses. My choice now is the APO Summicron 50, however, my most used lens is my Summilux 35.

I took only the Noctilux mounted on my M10 a few times, but the weight and size is obnoxious. Great lens shot a f0.95, but the APO Summicron is still my favorite 50mm.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

The only thing is that the 50 Noctilux is optically the better Summicron, sharp, no purple fringing, no CA, clean Highlights. Not the the APO 50 Summicron is a bad performer with regards to this for its small egg size. But the 50 Noctilux rivals the SL Summicrons in optical performance because one has to stop it down to f/2 to make it a Summicron. It’s the best SL lens on the M. 😁 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The only thing is that the 50 Noctilux is optically the better Summicron, sharp, no purple fringing, no CA, clean Highlights. Not the the APO 50 Summicron is a bad performer with regards to this for its small egg size. But the 50 Noctilux rivals the SL Summicrons in optical performance because one has to stop it down to f/2 to make it a Summicron. It’s the best SL lens on the M. 😁 

Without a doubt the noctilux 0.95 is Leica’s best ever M lens. I can’t talk about SL lenses as I’ve never owned one but the Noctilux is special and when used correctly there is nothing that comes close to it. 

With the new AA strap it’s even going to shine more 

Neil

Edited by NW67

Posted (edited)

Not as simple as ‘best’, depending on definition and criteria.  Karbe explains the technical and optical trade offs and design  decisions in one of Overgaard’s interviews. He says that for the f.95 Noctilux to have the same lack of purple fringing as the 75 Noctilux, for instance, it would need to be 30% longer and 10% greater diameter than it already is. And that’s just one criterion upon which to judge technical ‘best’.  Not to mention one’s personal criteria.

https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-75mm-Noctilux-f-1-25-review-and-sample-photographs-Page-2.html#Peter Karbe Interview

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Posted (edited)

A&A Strap arrived already.............I like it

Grabbed this one with the new starp attached............the wine might have something to do with it :) 

Edited by NW67

No, any combo initially feels lighter with a new strap. It’s not the wine. It has to do with our choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization. See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

The trick is to keep buying new straps and one will never feel the weight of the Noctilux. 😁

10 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

No, any combo initially feels lighter with a new strap. It’s not the wine. It has to do with our choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization. See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

The trick is to keep buying new straps and one will never feel the weight of the Noctilux. 😁

Exactly. I have a blue one coming as well for blue days

neil

It would probably be more comfortable, especially after long periods, if it was longer and rode on your shoulder (with pad) rather than hugging the side of your neck.  

Jeff

Compared to the silk cord model that I previously had this web strap is already more comfortable. I think making it even longer like you said would make it even more comfortable. I will give it a go tomorrow. 

Neil

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

It would probably be more comfortable, especially after long periods, if it was longer and rode on your shoulder (with pad) rather than hugging the side of your neck.  

Jeff

Exactly, with air pads and made of neoprene. This is the strap to get for the Noctilux here: https://de.hama.com/00027200/hama-kamera-tragegurt-air-comfort-140-neopren-schwarz

The combo feels feather light with this strap. But, no, Mr. Nick wants to look good, too, with his M around his neck, with red and blue straps. One thing I learned from Italian business suits is either one looks good and suffers or one just buys from Brooks Bothers. 😂

11 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Exactly, with air pads and made of neoprene. This is the strap to get for the Noctilux here: https://de.hama.com/00027200/hama-kamera-tragegurt-air-comfort-140-neopren-schwarz

The combo feels feather light with this strap. But, no, Mr. Nick wants to look good, too, with his M around his neck, with red and blue straps. One thing I learned from Italian business suits is either one looks good and suffers or one just buys from Brooks Bothers. 😂

Yea that guy Nick.............He sure knows how to impress the guys and gals. His mate Neil just likes to look cool, with or without a camera :):):)

John

i was doing great. I got down to 109 from 119 kg then it stopped even though I was still doing 300 plus kilometers a week. I have only rode once in the last 3 months and I’m already back up to 114........ to much beer and chrisps I guess 

neil

vor 2 Stunden schrieb NW67:

Yea that guy Nick.............He sure knows how to impress the guys and gals. His mate Neil just likes to look cool, with or without a camera :):):)

Aagh, that auto-correction when typing on a cell phone. Sorry, Neil.