M-D (Type 262) production numbers?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Datsch said:

Nice action POV shot, thanks for sharing. BTW, ISO800? In sunny California? I tend to stick to ISO200 unless I'm in dark woods on a grey English day, myself ... do you not find noise issues?

I have no issues at ISO 800, which is my limit. Downtown Sacramento, with the second most trees of any city in the world (Paris), can be quite shady. When shooting street and zone focusing I try to keep shutter speeds ~1/500, hence ISO 800 and f/5.6. The M-D is purely for fun, casual outings for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this the first production M-D ? For sale at Mapcamera Tokyo, it has serial number 4982400 which (I assume) is the first camera of the the first run of 100 ...

https://ebay.us/sYfMF5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not sure it is any different to any other M-D, but pretty cool somehow?

/edwin

Edited by Datsch
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 4:56 AM, goldenbear said:

Two M-D’s on FM forum right now. 

Thanks for this; I added them to my list. Still no other batches other than the 15 we have identified, implying our estimate of 1500 total made is still a valid hypothesis ...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, easy_action said:

Just spotted another M-D (5150151) in this video reviewing the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 Planar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUzmFo9kxs

The serial number is visible at around 1:15

I used to follow him on his YouTube channel. He traded it for a Q2 a few months back for his "Coast to Coast" series, thought it would be more versatile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, Datsch said:

Thanks @brunner that helps us make some sort of sense that 515xxxx were perhaps a batch from 2018 (so your camera is 2 years younger than most M-Ds).

I am however still curious about the 'singelton' batches 51502xx, 49871xx and 49988xx where we only have found so far one example out of the 100 presumably made in each batch. Perhaps the whole of those batches was for the Asian market?

Or perhaps a full 100 units were not made for all batches?

I believe I'm the third (and unless I get fickle, last) owner

6 hours ago, tomconte said:

I believe I'm the third (and unless I get fickle, last) owner

Thanks for the serial number. Enjoy your M-D!

I now have 105  serial numbers from 15 batches (each we are presuming of 100)

Batches 51502xx and 49988xx only have one camera sighted.

PS

Do you still have an M10-D as well? That's pretty cool. Which one do you use for what application? I was thinking of trying the M10-D but I'm not sure I could give up the M-D in exchange and as for keeping both, well, I guess two bodies one with 50mm and one with 28 is not so extravagant really ... 😄 I don't like changing lenses in the field ...

Edited by Datsch

I had an M10-D.

OK, this will sound strange and I will probably be criticized for this (and not entirely undeservedly), but I found it had too many controls. It also had an "escape hatch" of using your phone to view the pictures. I couldn't resist it. Thing is, if you don't know if you got a shot but have a way to find out, you (or rather, I) will. And then you'll see you didn't get it. And you'll try again. It just turns into a Rube Goldberg chimping exercise. 

(Oh yeah and you can put a visoflex 020 on it-- there's even a dumb YouTuber who does a whole review of the M10-D using only the visoflex to shoot with.) (And I know, you can merely resist putting a visoflex on it. But I have weak self control.) 

As for the fake rewind lever, it didn't bother me that it did nothing. But, it also was inferior as a thumb rest when compared to a Match Technical ThumbsUp. The ridges dig into your thumb. It doesn't open wide enough to use the lower part of your thumb like you would on a real rewind lever. I took to putting some electrical tape over the end to ease the sharp edges. 

They should have kept the on/off around the shutter. Turning on the camera takes two thumbs (much like changing ISO on an M-D).  And it's easy to accidentally switch it to Wi-Fi mode instead of just "on." Wi-Fi eats the M10's (already inadequate) battery very fast (gets it real hot too). 

Maybe I just need a therapist... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 12:32 PM, a.noctilux said:

No other M-D since February 6 ?

I have seen a couple for sale (one ebay, one fredmiranda) that I added to my list.

I agree 2022 has been slow so far for M-D sales. Hopefully people are busy using them and enjoying them!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just bought in a shop in Milan, where it was left unsold on a shelf (thanks to Leica LCD fans). S/N 4982435, date on the box: 21/04/2016. After 6 years and 1 month, she found a (lucky!) owner. i recommend: keep your MD 262 tight, I think they will be rare and expensive.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stranger said:

Just bought in a shop in Milan, where it was left unsold on a shelf (thanks to Leica LCD fans). S/N 4982435, date on the box: 21/04/2016. After 6 years and 1 month, she found a (lucky!) owner. i recommend: keep your MD 262 tight, I think they will be rare and expensive.

At good price ?

More or less than 4k€ ?

On 5/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, Stranger said:

Just bought in a shop in Milan, where it was left unsold on a shelf......S/N 4982435

I recommend: keep your MD 262 tight, I think they will be rare and expensive.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Many congrats on a great find. The batch numbered 49824xx seems to be the first offered for sale so yours is one of the earliest serials noted. Also (FWIW) yours is only 14 numbers away from my own example (4982421).

From numbers posted there has been no change - in terms of different batch numbers recorded - for quite a while so, at present, we are still looking at currently-known best-guess estimate of 1,700 units assuming all batches were of 100 cameras and all 100 possible examples within each batch were made.

They will certainly be rare in a comparative sense with all other 'production' digital M bodies. Value is a movable feast but so few come on to the market it's very difficult to build a picture which is in any way reliable.

I wish you many years of happy shooting.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

7 hours ago, pippy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Many congrats on a great find. The batch numbered 49824xx seems to be the first offered for sale so yours is one of the earliest serials noted. Also (FWIW) yours is only 14 numbers away from my own example (4982421).

From numbers posted there has been no change - in terms of different batch numbers recorded - for quite a while so, at present, we are still looking at currently-known best-guess estimate of 1,700 units assuming all batches were of 100 cameras and all 100 possible examples within each batch were made.

They will certainly be rare in a comparative sense with all other 'production' digital M bodies. Value is a movable feast but so few come on to the market it's very difficult to build a picture which is in any way reliable.

I wish you many years of happy shooting.

Philip.

Many thanks Philip, for me is the camera that retains the Leica spirit, and I am glad I found it.

• Like 1