Leica Vario-Elmarit 24-90 "squeaks" when zooming

V23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just started, my Leica Vario-Elmarit 24-90 "squeaks" when zooming and camera is switched on. It focuses ok. The squeak is from 24 to 90mm range. Has anyone experienced similar problem? Thank you in advance for suggestions.

1 hour ago, Konqi said:

Perhaps thats the "technical noise" we can hear since firmware 3.5?

Will be solved with the next update, Leica Support said.

Thank you for your reply Konqi, I have upgraded to fw V3.5 last night and use the camera with 24-90 today for the first time. So, it is a ‘technical noise’ lets hope that it will be fixed in next upgrade. You would expect that it would have been tested before release. I guess that there is no way to go back to previous version fw is there?

On my trip last week I noticed a noise with my 24-90 lens while zooming. Its like a squeak of sorts, does not seem to be all the time.

So what I am reading is that the noise is caused by a firmware upgrade to V3.5? WTF ? I am hoping that this does not damage or lower the life expectancy of the lens.

MJ

Edited by Jenningsmca

10 minutes ago, Jenningsmca said:

On my trip last week I noticed a noise with my 24-90 lens while zooming. Its like a squeak of sorts, does not seem to be all the time.

So what I am reading is that the noise is caused by a firmware upgrade to V3.5? WTF ? I am hoping that this does not damage or lower the life expectancy of the lens.

MJ

I too hope that there is no any damage being done to the lens. I would have expected that there would be statement issued from Leica Tech. support regarding this issue.

6 hours ago, Konqi said:

Leica support in Wetzlar told me there is no risk of damage because of this changed behaviour.

A downgrade is possible, but only in Wetzlar.

So enjoy your Vario-Elmarit. :)

did they say where the sound comes from? hopefully not the small focus gears like the S lenses ? :)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

did they say where the sound comes from? hopefully not the small focus gears like the S lenses ? :)

Sorry, no information about that.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

My SL 601 has FW 3.5 … and the 24-90mm has no squeak … checked several times in a very quiet room. 

I've read here that not every zoom gets that "feature" through the update. Perhaps it depends on production date or is just a random quirk. 

12 minutes ago, Konqi said:

Sorry, no information about that.

I've read here that not every zoom gets that "feature" through the update. Perhaps it depends on production date or is just a random quirk. 

Just a thought, what is your 24-90 lenses’ firmware? My one is ‘Installed Version 1.1’

I could not find on Leica website any info re. this issue or lens firmware downloads.

An additional question regarding squeak on 24-90 after upgrade to F.W. V3.5. Has any one that uses 90-280 lens notices any similar problems? I have been planning to get this lens, but understandably I am hesitant now.

This may be unrelated to the noise but has anyone else noticed that if one focuses manually the lens will focus past infinity?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sebben

56 minutes ago, sebben said:

This may be unrelated to the noise but has anyone else noticed that if one focuses manually the lens will focus past infinity?

That's the case with almost all AF lenses, and most longer manual focus lenses (200mm+). The extra focus movement provides room for thermal expansion and contraction in longer lenses. It also lessens the amount of manual adjustment needed when manufacturing AF lenses.

Well, that might be fine with a lens that has hard end stops.  But this one doesn’t which means you don’t know if you are in the before or after infinity part of the defocus. 

Surely this isn’t acceptable and could easily be fixed since it’s focus by wire anyway. 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb V23:

An additional question regarding squeak on 24-90 after upgrade to F.W. V3.5. Has any one that uses 90-280 lens notices any similar problems? I have been planning to get this lens, but understandably I am hesitant now.

No problems with the 90/280