M246 weak in the highlight range?

wolfloid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andy, in principle that is exactly the road I'm taking in my approach, but since this is only the first step towards implementing film emulations I have refined it a bit. I try to describe some parts of it in this fresh post at my site.

My main steps are to i) remove the impact of the ACR import process ii) normalize any toning (incl the one by Leica) wrt a reference "look" and then iii) apply a film emulation based on the reference "look". By this, no tweaking is done in Lightroom and by a click you pick an intended film look and then you may apply any additional toning etc.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

This is ice at the Kaaterskill Falls in New York.

The image is made with a Leica Mono and 21mm Summilux + yellow filter.

I used the yellow filter to reduce the blue light in the direct sunlight on the ice in an attempt to increase contrast in the highlights.  The exposure shown on the histogram displays no clipping, about ½ stop under.  I then adjusted the gradation in Irridient Developer (RAW software) to try to increase the highlight contrast.

I think I would have had better separation of the highlights using film.  Typically I would have used a yellow filter with Tri-X, exposing the highlights at about Zone VI +, rocks at about Zone III+ and developing fully in Pyro developer.  The ice would have been ... well, silvery satin!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cliveruss