M9 or M9P. What have I actually bought?

jasoniburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm brand new to this forum and to the Leica brand. Have loads of Canon gear but have always been curious about the rangefinder and the reputation of Leica and its lenses.

I have taken the plunge and bought an M9 (maybe an M9P). It has the serial number of an M9 but the seller says it was returned to the factory and "upgraded" with P bits so it looks like an M9P (no red dot, name on top plate, newer screen). I realise that there are little/no technical differences and its mainly cosmetic but I wondered if this was a usual modification and if it would make a difference in value or "authenticity"?

Was it an expensive modification at the factory?

Together with the body I have bought the Summarit 50mm 2.4 and an Elmarit 28mm 2.8 ASPH.

Thanks for any info.

Leica has a long history of factory upgrades. I have a 1929 Leica model I that was upgraded in 1932 to a model II (built-in rangefinder). I also have a 1950s model that has a serial number from 1935, indicating it was upgraded. Collectors notice such things and check the serial number records to see if it is "original" or upgraded. Typically an upgrade will go for less - at least to collectors. I don't care about such things, as I've never sold a Leica, so resale is not an issue to me.

But cameras are to use - so don't worry about it - just enjoy your M9P. 

• Like 1

The upgrade program ran once the “P” version came out and allowed for the replacement of the top plate and screen or just the top plate (not sure if just the screen only was an option). Upgraded versions are worth less than “true” versions (the hot shoe wasn’t changed as it has the serial number - so will still say ‘Leica M9’) but there is no difference in operation/results. If the screen was changed you can see a faint diamond/gemstone symbol in the border which shows it is the sapphire glass....

Below is the quotation I was given when I upgraded my M9P back in Sept 2014:

The M9 upgrade to M9-P service will be charge HK$15,000/US$1,923 (Same color) / HK$15,550 (Black to Silver / Silver to Black) included top cover, base plate, leather cover & sapphire glass rear cover and it will be process in Hong Kong. 

Before we start to upgrade your M9 that we will make a complete inspection because there will provide 1-year extra warranty after upgrade service.

We will estimate the repair cost to you if we found any operations problems for the parts and the upgrade service will not be provide if you rejected estimate.

After upgrade service we will make a complete checking & cleaning for your camera”.

Agree the upgraded version tense to cost less compare to the original P version in the 2nd hand market. On a plus side they would have benefitted from a tune up/adjustment/service at the time of upgrade.

If you are new to M9, more importantly make sure the CCD sensor has been replaced to corrosion free version.

• Like 1