chrism

Hasselblad (Imacon) Flextight Scanners Discontinued

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It ought to work on Windows, and any version of macOS up to 10.14.x. What problem are you having? I've sold my 848 and my X1, as all my picture taking is on hold at present. I could make them work just fine through all Mac systems up to and including 10.14. Tell us the problem and I expect we can make it work...

What's the problem? 

On 10/16/2020 at 10:50 PM, HeyAlby said:

I guess im another Hasselblad sucker! I have the Flextight X1 and currently getting nowhere either on windows or Mac. Tech support not being helpful. Desperately need to get this perfectly viable and good quality scanner up and running. Any advice will be most appreciated.... I continue to hope for a solution.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:50 PM, HeyAlby said:

...I have the Flextight X1 and currently getting nowhere either on windows or Mac. ...Desperately need to get this perfectly viable and good quality scanner up and running...I continue to hope for a solution.

With this little information it's impossible to know what the problem is. The best thing for you to do is a web search of user support groups for Hasselblad/Imacon scanners. You may be able to pick up some links on the Hasselblad/FlexTight FaceBook group. There is also this group, which I just found in a quick google search — I don't know if this is the new version of the Yahoo Imacon/FlexTight Group, which had a great deal of useful information, but which is to terminate on 15 December.

Edited by Nowhereman

Thank you all for the responses. It has been a frustrating journey with no end in sight!

The problem im having is my 2 year old custom built PC with windows 10 does not see my flextight x1 scanner whenI connect it via firewire card. This comes after trying to use my mac with a fire adapter ( doesnt work ). I have also tried using an older macbook pro with mojavi os ( again with adapter ) and still no cookie.

I have visited these sites for help/insight to this widespread issue for flextight users and operators

https://richardman.photo/2020/05/using-hasselblad-flextight-scanners-on-windows-10/ ( i followed this direction, th system recognizes the fire wire card, but not the scanner )

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?141868-Flextight-X5-Drivers-(Windows-10-Pro-x64)

This was my exchange with hasselblah tech support

Good afternoon hasselblad, and thank you for your message regarding this frustrating issue.

I have responded to your questions in orange, below.

Update : although I installed the IEEE 1394 legacy controller, I am no longer able to see the scanner on the device manage list under imaging devices like I could before. I seem to be going backwards!

Good Morning HeyAlby,

Some questions about your scanning set up:

-When was the last date of service for your X1 scanner? Tune and lube was performed in 2018, and it was not used until this moment where I have encountered these issues.

-Is your Windows system currently up to date? (Permissions, drivers, etc…) Windows system is up to date. Permissions looking normal.

-Are you using the most recent version of Flexcolor?

(Version 4.8.13) Im using FlexColor Version 4.8.9.1 ( Windows )

-Are you using any adapters with the Firewire cable? No adapters.

-How long is your Firewire cable? 6ft

-we recommend using one NO LONGER THAN 15ft

-Does the “intermittent connection” occur when using both Firewire Ports

on the back of the scanner? -or only just one? The problem occurs with either port.

-Are you using the ORGINAL power supply? I believe it is the original power supply, I have attached a pic of the back.

-If so, does it get hot, or make noise? No noise or excessive heat.

Hasselbad then replied with

I am sorry to hear that. It sounds to me then that you  may have a bad main board. If so it has to come in for replacement.

Once it comes in we can check it out and determine if that’s the problem. The only thing left to try is to see if it works on another computer if you have one. That will tell you right away if the problem is the scanner or the computer.

I called the company that built my windows PC and they told me it is very unlikely it is a main board problem.

I have tried 2 different brand new firewire cards, and 2 different firewire cords - still the same problem. The super curious and frustrating part is, when i initially connected the scanner and card, i was able to successfully scan one negative before the connection issues started. Now it just doesnt see the scanner at all, no matter how many different connection set ups i try. Im wondering if the repeated installs and unistalls may have messed something up? Im so lost!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe Hasselblad support are suggesting it is the main board in the scanner that is bad, not the motherboard in your PC. To narrow it down, see if the FW cable and adapter works on one of your Macs with some other FW peripheral, like an external drive. That way you know the cable and adapter are good. If the X1 is not recognised through a good cable and adapter connected to a good port on the Mac, you know it must be the board in the scanner.

I have used daisy-chained FW400 to FW800, FW800 to Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt to USB-C all in a row, and it works. If you do have to send the X1 to New Jersey, I hope you have the original box, as they won't send it back without selling you a new one ($400). Living in the US is easier for this, as sending the scanner across the border from Canada was an especial pain with all sorts of extra forms as it is assumed a giant heavy box containing some form of scanner is either a medical device, radioactive, or both!

Thank you Nowhereman and Chrism for the imacon group link and for the clarification regarding the main board. I will post my issues and findings there and hope to resolve this asap.

Hello,

if possible I would try a PC with Win 7. Should be much easier.
We use one Imacon under Win 10, but it's no fun. 
First the drivers for our FireWire-card are not signed so we where only able to install them under Win10 with some tricks. Even after I get them installed the scanner won't show up. 

We discover, that it only splashes up in the device manager (hope it's called so in the english Win version) for about one second shortly after start up. If you wait for it, and are fast enough to click on it, it will be recognized by the scan-software. Sometimes you need a few trails for this. After the scanner is recognized it seem to stay so until the PC is shut down. 

Sad that it doesn't work with the Mac and the Firewire adapter. I use the scanners with some old Macs, what works fine.

Am 2.8.2019 um 21:11 schrieb chrism:

And I thought Swedes were reasonable and honest people...

The Swedish may be, but since years it is only a brand-mark from the chinese Da-Jiang Innovations Science and Technology Co., Ltd.

What is the order that you are starting everything? My experience with flexcolor is that it will not recognize the scanner unless you turn on the scanner first, let it boot up completely, and only after that, open the program. If it does not work, then you need to restart or unplug the scanner to reset it... I don't have it in front of me, but I believe that is correct.

I am using mine with a Mac Pro 2013 with a firewire 400 to 800 adapter, and an OWC Thunderbolt 2 docking bay, which has a firewire 800 port.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

My flexcolor also crashes if you turn off the scanner while the program is still connected...it freezes the program and locks the scanner itself such that the power needs to be removed entirely. FlexColor was bad even for 2003 or so, so don't feel bad if you have possibly overlooked something like this. The program is so terrible and frustrating. They sell you an F1 car of a scanner and give you a 90 year old bus driver to race it. 

13 hours ago, fotomas said:

The Swedish may be, but since years it is only a brand-mark from the chinese Da-Jiang Innovations Science and Technology Co., Ltd.

It is still Swedes and Danes working there. It has nothing to do with nationality. It is corporate culture. Ever deal with Chamonix? They are a small Chinese photo company and they have amazing customer service and dedication to help their customers.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

It is still Swedes and Danes working there. It has nothing to do with nationality.

For sure corporate culture. But since one wonders about the swedish I want to point out that they possibly not define the corporate culture anymore (I can't tell). 
I never had a Hasselblad before and so I couldn't tell how their corporate culture and service was before, but when they bought Imacon everything changed to the worse for me. They kicked out the small Photo/343 scanner, dropped the service and parts supply for the old scanners, changed the software to remind you that your scanner needs a service every year (most of our original Imacon scanners have never seen any service and are still running), closed the service center here so that you have to send it to sweden to get the service they asked for, removed useful tools from the software, raised prices and lower the quality (on our new bought X5 we need to replace the motherboard about one month after the warranty has ended for about 2800 Euro's) and now the left us alone with their expensive stuff with an unclear future and avoid that others can help us.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

What is the order that you are starting everything? My experience with flexcolor is that it will not recognize the scanner unless you turn on the scanner first, let it boot up completely, and only after that, open the program. If it does not work, then you need to restart or unplug the scanner to reset it... I don't have it in front of me, but I believe that is correct.

It depends - I worked with several Imacon's with several different computer system. With the old G4 PowerMac's it was essential, that the scanner was turned on before (but it was possible to get it recognized afterwards with some tricks;-). Same scanners on a newer Mac (still old 2010 MacPro) and newer system and also on an even older G4 with an older MacOS 9  it's ok to turn it on after booting.

On our Win10 PC it is only possible after PC booting since you need to catch it in the device manager (Flexcolor was on before IIRC). I avoid to use it and prefer working on the Macs because of this cumbersome boot procedure.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

My flexcolor also crashes if you turn off the scanner while the program is still connected...it freezes the program and locks the scanner itself such that the power needs to be removed entirely. FlexColor was bad even for 2003 or so, so don't feel bad if you have possibly overlooked something like this. The program is so terrible and frustrating. They sell you an F1 car of a scanner and give you a 90 year old bus driver to race it. 

I don't have crashes with Flexcolor. But I only use it with computers that have native FireWire ports. Adapters and scanners mostly are a difficult combination in my experience. Could be also a driver problem or a problem with the adapter. Unfortunately such parts also often didn't get any service or updates from the manufacturer afterwards.

I agree that there are some things in Flexcolor that could be improved, but in total I found it to be one of the better scanning softwares that I have used. Some things I miss in the Mac version are in the PC version. But you have to get used to it. Some annoying behavior I know so well through the years that I can respond to it nearly blindly now.

I mostly agree with you with all of this, but my experience with Hasselblad/Imacon has always been less than ideal. Hasselblad USA was better, but after leaving the US it was a lot harder. I was forced to pay about 1000 euros in preventative maintenance plus 500 euros of shipping on a X5 still under warranty, when it turned out the issue was contamination on the bulbs (should have been picked up by local service or even remote technical support...it wasn't. Finally a nice tech based out of the US taught me how to enter in the debugging software to test it). There is no real way to communicate with the people in charge, as evidenced by the emails earlier in this thread. There is a pervading sense that they just want you to go away.

I have been using FlexColor since 2003. I agree that it is not the worst scanning software, but that is faint praise, as nearly all of them are horrible, at least compared to even the most basic software for other realms. I can get what I need done since I am so used to it, but I think it is crazy to me that they did not just write a plugin for it for Phocus or Lightroom, seeing as they were stilling selling the scanners for 25000 dollars for ten years after Phocus was released. The problem with FlexColor is less than results than the interface and overall bugginess...things like the adjustments jumping around after you release the slider, a crop tool that does not rotate at all, a decent, but finicky color negative inversion that does not really give you any way to fine tune the WB and contrast without doing minute adjustments of the RGB levels, most of which cause the photo to take on a color cast. Have a look at what Nate Johnson was able to do with Negative Lab Pro...it is light years better, and it is just a plugin written by a single guy in what seems to be his spare time. Granted, Adobe is doing a lot of the heavy lifting, but that route would be open to Hasselblad as well...

I also wanted to suggest using Windows 7 because I've understood (though I'm by no means an expert as I left Windows years ago) that Windows 10 is finicky with firewire.

Flexcolor on my Mac Pro 2008 (High Sierra) will, if the X1 is not turned on, have a Capture button instead of a Preview button. But it changes to Preview as soon as the computer picks up the scanner once it's turned on. Not sure of the relevance of this though but perhaps it helps. 

I'm Swedish but that's beside the point too :) but I did want to mention that I had the X1 main board and the CCD sensor replaced two years ago by Hasselblad, thankfully on warranty because each piece is just shy of 2200 Euro, in addition to 1000 Euro labour costs. This was done on warranty from Ffordes but be prepared for a big bill if you need to go this route. But if you do go this route, go quickly as spare parts are beginning to dry up. 

I don't believe Flexcolor has ever crashed for me, even if I turn off the scanner while it's running. There will just be a window Scanner not found. And I don't recognise any of the bugginess actually. But I only use it to capture as flat and "raw" a scan as possible (before editing the image in Color Perfect, Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop) so I don't fiddle around much with its controls. When I do, though, everything works as it should.