rwfreund

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AWB sucks, and that is a fact.

Theo, I've shot about 7000 photographs with my M8. All RAW. Of those I've seen less than a dozen where when I shoot two frames one very quickly after the other the second frame is blue, far too cool. Yes the AWB could be better, but IMHO it doesn't suck. Leica have said that they're not happy with the white balance but being realistic that isn't something that is going to change much in a third decimal place software upgrade.

No doubt to some I'm am now labeled as a Leica apologist, but I genuinely have had virtually no problems with the camera. Perhaps this will compensate a little for all the negativity in the 'bugs' thread, where as far as I can tell no one has actually reported any new bugs.

Theo, I've shot about 7000 photographs with my M8. All RAW. Of those I've seen less than a dozen where when I shoot two frames one very quickly after the other the second frame is blue, far too cool. Yes the AWB could be better, but IMHO it doesn't suck. Leica have said that they're not happy with the white balance but being realistic that isn't something that is going to change much in a third decimal place software upgrade.

No doubt to some I'm am now labeled as a Leica apologist, but I genuinely have had virtually no problems with the camera. Perhaps this will compensate a little for all the negativity in the 'bugs' thread, where as far as I can tell no one has actually reported any new bugs.

I can reproduce this any time I want.

-bob

Steve,

Happy for you, that you dont have that problem so much, "I HAVE IT" to much when I shoot jpg and raw. Every M8 is still not the same, despite the quality control, see all other problems in the last 7 months, but needles to say you know all this, as a forum member.

Honest I was hoping that Leica should have give this problem also a first priority to fix this in this upgrade, but maybe my expectations where to high.

Happy shooting all of you.

Theo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dont know about the rest of you but I've noticed two positive things:

1) The blue noise banding I would get a 2500 and sometime 1250 is gone

2) NO MORE MAGENTA!? Yes, so far so good. I used to get mangenta without the filter like everyone else. Now, on the older 1950s lenses that I use, it's gone. That same shirts that always used to give the magenta cast are now recording properly as blacks and greys. I'll have to test it a bit more but it's looking good.

Perhaps they did something in software? Maybe if no filter is selected in the menu some code runs that looks for magenta and shifts it towards black? It would make sense to program something like that. Leave the filter on setting for "perfect" colors and the filter off has the software magenta fix.

I have a good laugh about the latest 2 comments.

But lets keep this tread to the point, the AWB sucks, and that is a fact.

Theo

i dont see where the fun is in my comment where i only suggested to move your post to the right thread :confused: read the theme of this one where you posted your problem (yes it's called: 'M8 Firmware 1.107 Features and positive experiences thread'), it might be that you post your stuff wherever you like but then you shouldnt expect that you get sufficient help.

on the other side might be as well that you go to a pharmacy to buy bacon, who knows...:rolleyes:

i dont see where the fun is in my comment where i only suggested to move your post to the right thread :confused: read the theme of this one where you posted your problem (yes it's called: 'M8 Firmware 1.107 Features and positive experiences thread'), it might be that you post your stuff wherever you like but then you shouldnt expect that you get sufficient help.

on the other side might be as well that you go to a pharmacy to buy bacon, who knows...:rolleyes:

I should have wrote the 1 comment from Keith, not yours, sorry for my mistake.

And in my tread I was not refering for sufficient help.

"Features", yes, I hope in the next software upgrade it is fix.

Theo

I should have wrote the 1 comment from Keith, not yours, sorry for my mistake.

And in my tread I was not refering for sufficient help.

"Features", yes, I hope in the next software upgrade it is fix.

Theo

The AWB "feature" is improved in this latest f/w, from my use of the camera since 10 Nov 2006. Truthfully, I do not trust in camera presets, nor AWB; however, this comes from a shooter using handheld lightmeter and film before M8 use. Simply, I am accustomed to determining the EV and color temp without the camera's assistance[1].

While I have had the occasional "Wheel of Fortune" effect when zooming in "Play", overall the "Play" functions are quicker...

...yet I feel that the color temp handling is most improved, and perhaps why 1250 and 2500 ISO /seems/ better too. Perhaps they've optimised the sensor gain+color treatment relationship?

Theo, you are troubled... but please, in the tradition of "ars longa, vita brevis": "already posted is long, patience on refrain is short". If one uses /individual/ shutter releases in quick succession, then AWB may just be too slow because each /individual/ shutter release must re-evaluate the scene... this is the third thread you have played on this subject. I'd agree with you, however, that open discussion is vital... and a thread as this one is intended is sophistic because it proposes that the emperor has /new/ clothes! ;) So, would you return to the "BUGS", or your "2 shots" threads with this same complaint?[2]

rgds,

Dave

[1] one reason I prefer the CV Bessa's external meter LEDs, and removed the battery from my M6.

[2] Silly me, the emperor has, well, new firmware!

In order of decreasing white balance accuracy, I think this is what we might expect:

- Manual WB off a white area or dial in metered colour temperature

- AWB

- White Balance Preset based on standard, but rarely achieved colour temperatures.

Up to now, AWB has been trailing a poor third but now seems improved and the presets are necessarily compromised, aside perhaps from flash.

There's a lot of negative comment on the other thread which I'm now ignoring. I think 1.107 is a worthwhile incremental release and is taking the camera closer to what we thought we were buying.

For the first time ever tonight the M8 nailed the white balance in my Mom's dining room (dim tungsten light, burgundy walls, dark wood). It was correct about 80% of the time, and had never been right even once before.

Now, one strange thing---three out of four times I checked, the first shot after turning the camera on had bad WB (looked like daylight), but the rest were dead on. Now that I think about it, the same thing happened in my office (tungsten light, grey wall, white woodwork)---the first shot looked like it picked a daylight WB, the rest were excellent (much better than before).

I've had the strange huge AWB shift a few times, but can't repeat it at will (I pretty much stopped using AWB, but I'm going to try it again the next few weeks, it seems notably better). Does it happen only on a first shot after powerup, or most anytime? I'll check in on this thread again (if I remember to...) later this next week when I'm back from a trip.

Until later,

--clyde

Leica are masters of fuzzy communications but it would be interesting to know what this means, taken from the installation instructions for 1.107:

"The changes within the firmware version allows Leica Camera an even saver and more efficient production process. Furthermore, by modification of internal procedures, optimisation of the general image reproduction and the functional features of the LEICA M8 has been accomplished".

The second sentence seems clear - bugs fixed, code optimised, but the first one is slightly strange (leaving aside "saver" instead of "safer"). If you look at the German version, this is an accurate translation ("Die Änderungen in der neuen Firmware Version ermöglichen Leica einen noch sichereren und effizienteren Produktionsprozess").

Are they saying there are changes in there to make the M8 easier to manufacture?

Leica are masters of fuzzy communications but it would be interesting to know what this means, taken from the installation instructions for 1.107:

"The changes within the firmware version allows Leica Camera an even saver and more efficient production process. Furthermore, by modification of internal procedures, optimisation of the general image reproduction and the functional features of the LEICA M8 has been accomplished".

The second sentence seems clear - bugs fixed, code optimised, but the first one is slightly strange (leaving aside "saver" instead of "safer"). If you look at the German version, this is an accurate translation ("Die Änderungen in der neuen Firmware Version ermöglichen Leica einen noch sichereren und effizienteren Produktionsprozess").

Are they saying there are changes in there to make the M8 easier to manufacture?

From the German, I get/understand "sicher" as "accurate", not "safe"; thus, what I read is that they have optimiz/sed their code to avoid "regressions", or bugs introduced while

correcting/modifying other f/w functions. Can't say this will resolve a poor cast of Mg, nor bad batch of potentiometer, or other component in the manufacture of the M8, but the f/w code may be cleaner ;) Anyone have a poorly printed shutter speed dial?

In context: it's "die aederungen in der neuen" that speaks to future f/w as benefitting from what has gone into this f/w release as well.

Yes, the M$ era is over: release early, and revise often... thanks to FOSS.

rgds,

Dave

I too am getting a very warm first shot when shooting in low light and tungsten but it looks good on subsequent shots. Leica really needs to hire some more competent programmers if this is the best they can do in 4 months of coding.

--------What I want to see as soon as possible is for the shutter speed to show in the finder when manually adjusting speed. Must be doable, and it would make a significant difference in regular use. best....Peter

Peter, the triangles and the dot for manual exposure are inserted between the figures in the LED panel on the finder frame mask. You would get something like:

1 triangle 5 dot 0 triangle 0

in other words, quite a confusing readout. Yes, it IS doable – but not in firmware. It would take a re-designed LED panel. And the figures and the manual signals (and the flash signal) would probably have to be made smaller too. The change may be worthwhile – in a M9 or M8-2 maybe – but I can't say before looking at it.

The old man from the Age Before LEDs

The LEDs - something like 31 in all - are unbelieveably small and the entire thing is about 3 * 1.5mm and adding to them would be a challenge.

I think the only sensible way to do it with the current hardware would be to display the shuttter speed briefly after it's been changed before reverting to the exposure indicators. Some might find that distracting, some might find the alternate display time too long or too short, so there would be no pleasing everyone.

In my view, Leica's priority should be to get the camera working reliabily and optimally within the current functionality. The only new functionality added since the start is the IR filter handling, the rest has been fine tuning what else is already there.

after my last whine lately, i have to say that i am impressed with high ISOs with the new FW. Its way better than previous firmware, you can also notice this in Histogram..

Taken yesterday, ISO 2.500 35mm ASPH Summilux at 1.4

a street kid is trying to sell flowers on a highway under the heavy mansoon rain in Delhi.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!