EoL for A La Carte

semi-ambivalent

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just saw on leicarumors.com that 7 June, 2019 will be the last day to order a camera through the a la carte program. I know LR is a rumor blog but they're pretty good at this game. I see it as rather sad event. I have an ALC MP and I love it and have never had buyer's remorse at the extra money it took to get it. I don't see how the workflow can be much different with ALC than it is for the special editions. But a bigger thing to me is that it is the end of a bit of special treatment available to Leica customers, a perk that continues to disappear in the "consumer space" generally and especially in electronic goods. A perk I could attain, unlike picking out the color of the stitching in an Aston Martin. I find it also sad in light of Leica's continuous exhortations of their uniqueness in camera production. There is now only the Special Editions, which have never been special to me because they're someone else's idea of what is special. At least I can still buy those wonderful tiny lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I agree with you about the „devalued specials“. Though there may be one exception: frames for different lenses in the viewfinder. For many users the 35/50/90 combination was the ideal one - but only offered á la carte, and only for the film MP. Not giving this choice was one of the reasons, I never had any interest in the M-A. Abandoning the á la carte option completely will put an end to all thoughts about the M-A for me - my M2 will last.

17 minutes ago, UliWer said:

For many users the 35/50/90 combination was the ideal one - but only offered á la carte, and only for the film MP. Not giving this choice was one of the reasons, I never had any interest in the M-A. 

The M-A frameline set is already quite close to the 35/50/90 that you like. It does have lines for a 28 but the 135 and 75 frames are almost nonexistent. It also has the benefit of complete rectangles, not needing to leave space for the metering diodes of the MP and M7, In fact, this is probably why the custom framelines were never offered for the M-A. The existing á la carte frameline offerings, with their interrupted bottom lines, are not suitable for the M-A and the low volume production of the film cameras nowadays probably made ordering alternative frameline sets for the M-A an uneconomic proposition.

I comment only for M's framelines ...

For a while I appreciate much M-A use, handling/"short"shutter release/top viewfinder, but not "really" better than other older Ms.

And just had a look in my old M2's VF, I understand that this is THE Leica M to choose when in kit with only 35/50/90.

Those framelines, uncluttered M2's VF are so superior to other that now I miss in M-A's VF the 4 corners in 90 framelines 😇.

Dimmer yes, less contrast yes (compared to M-A), but in real life use, that does't matter much, focussing/framing is a joy using M2 with 35/50/90.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I comment only for M's framelines ...

For a while I appreciate much M-A use, handling/"short"shutter release/top viewfinder, but not "really" better than other older Ms.

And just had a look in my old M2's VF, I understand that this is THE Leica M to choose when in kit with only 35/50/90.

Those framelines, uncluttered M2's VF are so superior to other that now I miss in M-A's VF the 4 corners in 90 framelines 😇.

Dimmer yes, less contrast yes (compared to M-A), but in real life use, that does't matter much, focussing/framing is a joy using M2 with 35/50/90.

Hello A.noctilux,

Do you think that the lack of brightness & lower contrast are in the design of the M2 range/viewfinder or do you think that the M2 range/viewfinder might need a cleaning?

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Michael,

Lack of modern coatings in viewfinder, or VF path, I think.

With my older Ms (M2/4/4-2/ etc. ), when I use at night, I see some "ghosts of lamps" in their VF (some faint and other less faint),

never seen those ghosts in "more modern coated VF" of MP or M-A or digital M.

I know that some old Ms may need VF cleaning but I also know that they would never become as "clean" as newer ones.

That said, M2's VF is as good to use (very nice to use even nowaday) or "better in some way" than newer MP/M-A.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, semi-ambivalent said:

I just saw on leicarumors.com that 7 June, 2019 will be the last day to order a camera through the a la carte program. I know LR is a rumor blog but they're pretty good at this game. I see it as rather sad event. I have an ALC MP and I love it and have never had buyer's remorse at the extra money it took to get it. I don't see how the workflow can be much different with ALC than it is for the special editions. But a bigger thing to me is that it is the end of a bit of special treatment available to Leica customers, a perk that continues to disappear in the "consumer space" generally and especially in electronic goods. A perk I could attain, unlike picking out the color of the stitching in an Aston Martin. I find it also sad in light of Leica's continuous exhortations of their uniqueness in camera production. There is now only the Special Editions, which have never been special to me because they're someone else's idea of what is special. At least I can still buy those wonderful tiny lenses.

SA, fine looking camera.  Other than the chrome trim, any other custom features?  

42 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

SA, fine looking camera.  Other than the chrome trim, any other custom features?  

Full script engraving, Vulkanit, and 0.72x VF with 75mm frame lines removed. (Because I use the 50 so much and always use an external VF with 28 and 21, to this day I still sometimes wish I had gone with the 0.85 VF. Choosing between .72/.85 was the longest part of the entire process other than actual delivery, which was almost six weeks to the day.)

• Like 1

...hm, then I will get one of the last cameras in this line.

I ordered mine in avril - it is announced to be finished at the end of july.

It will have only 35/50/90 mm framelines.

Best,

Jens

Edited by jensthoes