M10-D for USD 6.4K - is that price real ?

fenykepesz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are sites that can detect and bypass a VPN, although the software is not flawless. For some strange reason eBay is under the illusion that I am a VPN in the Netherlands and that I really live in the USA. Quite annoying as it constantly redirects me to eBay USA

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jaapv said:

There are sites that can detect and bypass a VPN, although the software is not flawless. For some strange reason eBay is under the illusion that I am a VPN in the Netherlands and that I really live in the USA. Quite annoying as it constantly redirects me to eBay USA

Yes, indeed.  I'm pretty sure my VPN connection is solid but who knows...

I have placed orders with Amazon while overseas, but I can't say for sure what country their site was detecting at the time.  I never really paid attention to any of this until the matter was raised here.  But I've never had a problem either.  

I will be more wary about ordering from an overseas Amazon store in the future.

IP addresses and locations are sometimes modified and not updated on the relevant register, that might be the reason eBay thinks you're in the USA.

Edited by silverchrome
  • Thanks 1

I was looking to buy a used Leica M10D and there has been one just under $7k at the Leica store in NYC (http://leicastoresoho.com/used/).  Today, I noticed this Amazon item, and then applied for an Amazon store card to pay the sum in installments (6.5k is too much for a camera body for me).

I read through the list but could not figure out if someone on this list has already bought the item from Amazon and had it delivered.  Has anyone ordered it, received it and has an impression of the condition of the body?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, chhobikor said:

I was looking to buy a used Leica M10D and there has been one just under $7k at the Leica store in NYC (http://leicastoresoho.com/used/).  Today, I noticed this Amazon item, and then applied for an Amazon store card to pay the sum in installments (6.5k is too much for a camera body for me).

I read through the list but could not figure out if someone on this list has already bought the item from Amazon and had it delivered.  Has anyone ordered it, received it and has an impression of the condition of the body?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum chhobikor

What country are you in?

What list!   Is it Leicastoresoho ‘s website list.  That is showing secondhand offers.  If it’s on that list then it is probably  available and the store will advise you about it’s condition. If it has been sold then the buyer may not belong to this forum.

If you have seen the M10-d on Amazon for $6400, then that will be available and it appears to be new.   

Read the Amazon.com advert carefully.  Can you see if Amazon or a third party (shop or private seller somewhere in the world) are offering this item.  There are different trading arrangements.

So maybe there are two options.   

I don’t think that there are any Leica bargains anywhere or at anytime!  If a deal looks too good to be true then beware of a scam.

good luck

later...... I am sure you are in New York.   

Edited by lucerne

Hi Lucerne,

1.  Many thanks for the welcome!  I am in the New York City area.

2.  Sorry for being ambiguous.  I meant whether anyone in this "forum" / 'thread" has bought the M10D from Amazon.

3.  The Amazon advert is saying it is a "prime" purchace, but the seller is 6ave.  The purchase can be made using their store card and it will have the Amazon 30 day return policy.

Thanks!

good morning, chhobikor, i want to know actually the very same thing - before i order mine, perhaps tonight.  has anybody in the US or Canada ordered an M10-D from Amazon.com and received it and then used it to her/his full satisfaction ?

thanks for any feedback !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, chhobikor said:

Hi Lucerne,

1.  Many thanks for the welcome!  I am in the New York City area.

2.  Sorry for being ambiguous.  I meant whether anyone in this "forum" / 'thread" has bought the M10D from Amazon.

3.  The Amazon advert is saying it is a "prime" purchace, but the seller is 6ave.  The purchase can be made using their store card and it will have the Amazon 30 day return policy.

Thanks!

That advert is certainly causing some confusion due to its wording.  (And low offer price).

An advert with(prime) tag actually means that a purchasor who must be an enrolled and paid member of the prime scheme can get the full benefits of prime.  

My research suggested that 6ave is a legitimate retailer that actually has a business connection with Leica San Francisco.  That would suggest that any deal you complete will be reliable and safe.

Should you buy from them?   

I dont find any evidence of dodgy trading, but there seems to be some reluctance by leica buyers to proceed.  Maybe the trading name 6ave doesn’t instill confidence.

maybe the box has been opened by a buyer and then returned, and the grey cover lost.  That would put some purchasers off. 

always check the shopping cart at checkout before hitting the final pay page.   Sometimes, if the transaction is international or cross border a further charge will be added.

good luck

Edited by lucerne

If you are in NY, why not go down to 6ave and take a look?  From the name they sound like one of the ultraOrthodox crews that used to be in Brooklyn, and had a not so great reputation in the past, but, as with B&H, are now pretty solid and established.

And I hope you find a way to get an M10-D.   To quote Mike Johnston over at the OnlinePhotographer, they put a lot of the fun back into digital photography. 

Hi Scott,

Good idea, but I could not find a physical store address from their website.  Also attractive are Amazon's 30 day return policy and buying with interest-free financing. 

Precisely the reason why the M10D is attractive to me is because I have been shooting with an M3.   It is a liberating experience to not see the LCD screen time and again, and just focus on capturing the moment.  The M10D will provide the same experience, in digital form.

vor einer Stunde schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

If you are in NY, why not go down to 6ave and take a look?  From the name they sound like one of the ultraOrthodox crews that used to be in Brooklyn, and had a not so great reputation in the past, but, as with B&H, are now pretty solid and established.

When I lived in NYC I used to buy all my electronics at 47th Street Photo. The worst were the electronics dealers on 5th, or was it Lexington, I don't remember. The folks at 47th Street had the best prices and most reliable quality and were always very friendly. They were Hassidic and walked with God, I guess. 😀 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chhobikor said:

Thanks.

It is brand new and sold through Amazon. If you receive the camera and the outer brown box (not grey) isn't fully sealed with white stickers then it may not be a brand new unit.

If that is the case, you simply return with no loss. Amazon is absolutely reliable. 

This thread is incredibly frustrating.  

By the time the OP finally decides to buy this it will be sold out, which I hope is the case now.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chhobikor said:

Hi Scott,

Good idea, but I could not find a physical store address from their website.  Also attractive are Amazon's 30 day return policy and buying with interest-free financing. 

You need to try harder!

https://6ave.com/contact-us/

2 hours ago, chhobikor said:

Hi Scott,

Precisely the reason why the M10D is attractive to me is because I have been shooting with an M3.   It is a liberating experience to not see the LCD screen time and again, and just focus on capturing the moment.  The M10D will provide the same experience, in digital form.

I need to qualify my statements regarding 6ave.

if you read their sales conditions you will see that they are not authorised dealers of many branded items.  Their products can be sourced from anywhere in the world.  Some manufacturers do not honour fault claims if the item has not been purchased via an authorised dealer.

thats why these items advertised by 6ave on Amazon are not snapped up.  It’s up to you to assess the risks. They may be a satellite organisation of a reputable store but still questionable .   

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/6th_avenue_electronics.html

Buyer beware.

• Like 1

I think, that given your concerns and being risk averse, you should either visit, examine/ buy new/secondhand from a Leica dealer in the USA, or else use Amazon and choose an offer that specifically identifies Amazon stock and return rights, or a recognisable (by name) Leica dealer.   

Some non authorised dealers become Leica equipment traders  but are not reliable.

trying to save money can lead you into problems later.   Always read the sellers terms and conditions.  They are very revealing.  Look out for obscure business names and intermediaries involved in the supply chain.  Not a good sign.

Edited by lucerne

No, 6th Ave is very open about their dealing in the grey market. They explicitly say hat the Leica bodies are imports from abroad. That’s the business model. This is the company and here are the people behind 6th Ave. http://www.fetrading.com/team.

Albert Houllou bought the rights to 6th Ave after its collapse from the Temiz brothers, Mike and Billy, in 2012. If you’re not happy, you can always send someone to whack him, along with the other guys in the pictures. 😂

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 1

I think that these facts should drive chhobikor and Fenykepesz  ‘s  purchasing decision. 

Thanks for this Chaemono. 

7 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

No, 6th Ave is very open about their dealing in the grey market. They explicitly say hat the Leica bodies are imports from abroad. That’s the business model. This is the company and here are the people behind 6th Ave. http://www.fetrading.com/team.

Albert Houllou bought the rights to 6th Ave after it’s collapse from the Temiz brothers, Mike and Billy, in 2012. If you’re not happy, you can always send someone to whack him, along with the other guys in the pictures. 😂

Congratulations.  That’s great digging Chaemono.   The problem for some of our members is that they don’t discover these obscure facts relating to holding companies and don’t get the big picture.

from this video, F&E seem very well organised. However, buying Leica through F&E may still be risky.