M10-D for USD 6.4K - is that price real ?

fenykepesz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i desperately want to buy a Leica M10-D as i have several Summilux lenses waiting for a body, for years already, but i simply couldn't afford the price of USD 8K.  now, i recently noticed the M10-D at Amazon.com sold for 6.4K.  is that price real ?  is the camera truly sold by Amazon i trust, and not by some shabby NY company selling the product for a similar price ?  is there any disadvantage going with Amazon ?  thanks in advance for any feedback.  bye, pisti

11 hours ago, james.liam said:

Amazon’s guarantee is pretty rock solid. Can always return it for a full refund if it’s otherwise. 

+1 but look for the PRIME designation for Amazon direct or top sellers certified by Amazon. I just checked and it looks good to me. If I were in the market for the M10D I'd pull the trigger.

Maybe do a search for 6-ave on this and other Leica forums for experience. I bought an M10-D a couple weeks ago and ALMOST purchased through Amazon / 6-Ave, but decided to go through Leica directly. This was my first Leica purchase and I didn't want any issues with a grey market reseller down the road. When considering it, I called 6Ave. and they told me they're not an authorized Leica dealer, but will purchase the camera from an authorized dealer. I talked with the Leica store about the price differential and they were (predictably) not supportive of 6Ave. Let us know how it works out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

apparently Amazon seems to pull this kind of price strategy through already for a few months, and they also write that there are "more on the way". 

now, i think i will wait a bit more, just to see what others think about this Amazon deal, but then also to find out more about a new M10 Monochrom - which then hopefully would look like the M10-D, featuring no screen in the back.

Earlier today, Leica Store-San Francisco had an MD open box (?demo) in Ex++ for sale at $6400; they often sell through Amazon and that may be the one that you report having been sold. Leica might have too many sitting around their warehouse in NJ and are shedding overstock.

FWIW, the Amazon listing included a table indicating that the M10-D being sold had 3-inch screen!! This would put me off buying from that seller (it wasn’t Amazon itself), but I’m not thrilled that I paid full price a few months ago. I do love the camera.

But the M10-D is not for everyone, suggesting that there may be a lot of buyer’s remorse and thus returns, which may be the ones being cleared out on Amazon. 

dear ChillnScott, you are prefectly right, i want to avoid under all circumstances shops like that 6-Ave thing.  now, speaking about Amazon, it seems to me that they sell *brandnew*  M10-D bodies directly from their own store, that's Amazon itself, a place i intend to trust in general.

what about the others in this crowd here, what are your thoughts ?

Edited by fenykepesz

Hmmmm....I was close to buying a 21mm lens on Amazon earlier this year but the price was just too low to feel real.  Lots of messages to Amazon customer services and after couple of weeks they listing was removed. 

Edited by Big John

Amazon is backing 6ave and therefore if the camera doesn't show up sealed like new, you get all of your money back and free returns.

That is little risk to save $2k but whatever floats your boat. You were worried about spending the money, that is a risk free trial.

If you can't stomach the risk you most likely aren't going to find a good deal that you trust and therefore should just buy new. 

If you want after sales guarantees, stick to Amazon Prime.  I recently bought a set of 6 books from Amazon, and when they arrived, found that there were 5 books plus a duplicate of one of them.  So I opened "my orders" and found the order.  It was handled by "Amazon Services."  While for Prime items there is a procedure for "replace or return,"  for this category, there is no replace or return option offered.  Aargh! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

If you want after sales guarantees, stick to Amazon Prime.  I recently bought a set of 6 books from Amazon, and when they arrived, found that there were 5 books plus a duplicate of one of them.  So I opened "my orders" and found the order.  It was handled by "Amazon Services."  While for Prime items there is a procedure for "replace or return,"  for this category, there is no replace or return option offered.  Aargh! 

Agreed. One of the M10Ds for 6.4k was offered under Amazon prime. 

Silly for the OP not to jump for this if they want this camera.  Best new price available. 

how can i know in advance if the camera body sent by Amazon is truly new ?  i don't want the hassle later having to deal with returning the camera, not to speak about the loss of money (taxes payed and such).  i read worrisome stories from people who bought cameras from Ave6 and similar stores.  moreover, i don't see any warranty mentioned for the M10-D, even for the 'true' Amazon offer.

i ask all these annoying questions as my portemonnai isn't exactly stuffed with dozens of grands of dollarim...

Edited by fenykepesz

Why don’t you buy it on eBay from the same seller instead? You’ll save even more and 6th Avenue Express accepts PayPal there, only. 😀 It clearly states that’s it’s an imported item, so warranty with Leica US might be an issue. Still, the savings are enormous. If the camera comes in an unopened box, it’s worth it IMO. If not, well, there’s PayPal protection. 😁 The seller has tons of excellent ratings on eBay BTW.

Edit - I forgot to post the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M10-D-Digital-Rangefinder-Camera-/323684855211

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

Back in the 1980s I bought an R4 with Summicron R from a NY mail order company - turned out to be grey-market new in box with only a store ( direct importer) warranty. It never needed Leica service, so the warranty was never an issue.

Yes, I'd rather support Leica US and local dealers, but sometimes the budget won't allow that.

In evaluating an e-bay seller when I buy something expensive, there are two micro-details I evaluate:

1 How many positives on "big ticket" items: maybe he hasn't shorted anyone before because it wasn't worth it to him. But in any case, I want to see consistent positives on the expensive products.

2. The nature of any negative complaints. Sometimes they're minor things; but sometimes it's claims like: he guaranteed 15 days return, but then refused to take it back....etc.

When I quickly eyeballed 6th Ave's positives and negatives on their first screen, given the size of your purchase, I wasn't fully inspired with confidence. I don't by any means think he's corrupt, but maybe just such a high volume seller that stuff happens. And, FWIW, Ken Rockwell calls a 99.6 approval rating "low". For me, anything below 99.8 and I automatically look very, very closely.

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/index.htm

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1